New Collection Acquired

Ryan Ellett

The OTRR Purchasing Group has recently funded the purchase and move of a significant collection. This collection contains roughly 3,000 reels, a few hundred electrical transcriptions, and hundreds of original scripts, photographs, and early fan magazines. There are plenty of old collections of reels this size out in the wild; what is special about this one is that the original owner was a very early collector named Joe Hehn. The majority of these recordings appear to date from the mid-1960s to the early 1970s. Mr. Hehn was heavily involved in the early collector scene and traded with some of the early legends in the hobby. Much of this material is very low-generation; i.e., it is close to the clean sound of a transcription disc without the accumulated hiss that multiple generations of tape copying creates. Joe Webb has started going through the reels. Just in the week since he received them he has discovered several episodes that are not currently in circulation including Big Story, Duffy's Tavern, and Whistler so far. The majority of the rest will still be upgrades to the audio quality of what is currently in our library.

All this to say, by joining the OTRR Purchasing Group (email Jim Wood at OTR@...) you will begin receiving recordings as they are finished and distributed. As with all Purchasing Group material, the shows will eventually be added to our library, usually a year or two (sometimes more) after they've been shared with the members of the Purchasing Group. This is a great time to join the group: it costs only $5 per month, which you can pay by month or in larger chunks at a time. The more members that join the Purchasing Group the more opportunities like this that we can take advantage of.

Can't wait to find out what more goodies will be discovered in this collection!