Re: New Collection Acquired

Philip Atchley

Ryan

That is great news, and yes, I'm already a member of the OTRRPG group.  In fact I just mailed in the next dues payment (8 months this time).

<>< 73 From "The Beaconeer's Lair" <><
Specializing in DXing NDBs (Longwave Beacons)
Phil, KO6BB, http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/
KO6BB/B beacon, ~20W on 28.290 MHz, Ringo Vertical

HF/LF RADIOS:
YAESU: FTDX-101MP Xceiver, 2 SDR Receivers (~2020)
YAESU: FTDX-3000 Xceiver, DSP IF,300Hz Roofing filter (~2019).
Icom: IC-7200 Xceiver, DSP IF & filters (~2015).
Kenwood: TS-450SAT Xceiver, cascaded 250/125Hz Inrad filters.
10M Beacon: 2 x Realistic HTX-100's on 28.290MHz
HOMEBREW: 7 Tube+Rect 1v3 Regen RX for LF (built 2015)
SDRS: Perseus 10KHz-40MHz (2020)
Softrock Ensemble II LF Receiver (kit, 2017)
Softrock Ensemble II HF Receiver (Kit, 2019)
ACC: MFJ-993B Auto Antenna Matcher.
HOMEBREW LF-MF Pre-Amp, 8Hz Audio Filter.
HOMEBREW 4 Port Antenna Multicoupler, Feeds 4 RX's.
ANTENNAS: 88 foot Long Ladder-line fed dipole, 35 feet AGL for MW/SW.
Active Mini-Whip, 36 Feet AGL for LF/MW/SW.
Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop For LF/MW/SW at 17 Feet AGL
37 foot "Low Noise Vertical", 11 feet AGL for LF/MW/SW.
Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo Vertical, 14 feet AGL for 10M beacon.
Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh

On 10/17/2020 7:48 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:
The OTRR Purchasing Group has recently funded the purchase and move of a significant collection. This collection contains roughly 3,000 reels, a few hundred electrical transcriptions, and hundreds of original scripts, photographs, and early fan magazines. There are plenty of old collections of reels this size out in the wild; what is special about this one is that the original owner was a very early collector named Joe Hehn. The majority of these recordings appear to date from the mid-1960s to the early 1970s. Mr. Hehn was heavily involved in the early collector scene and traded with some of the early legends in the hobby. Much of this material is very low-generation; i.e., it is close to the clean sound of a transcription disc without the accumulated hiss that multiple generations of tape copying creates. Joe Webb has started going through the reels. Just in the week since he received them he has discovered several episodes that are not currently in circulation including Big Story, Duffy's Tavern, and Whistler so far. The majority of the rest will still be upgrades to the audio quality of what is currently in our library.

All this to say, by joining the OTRR Purchasing Group (email Jim Wood at OTR@... <mailto:OTR@...>) you will begin receiving recordings as they are finished and distributed. As with all Purchasing Group material, the shows will eventually be added to our library, usually a year or two (sometimes more) after they've been shared with the members of the Purchasing Group. This is a great time to join the group: it costs only $5 per month, which you can pay by month or in larger chunks at a time. The more members that join the Purchasing Group the more opportunities like this that we can take advantage of.

Can't wait to find out what more goodies will be discovered in this collection!

Ryan
_._,_._,_