Re: OTR Digest archive

John Nicholson

Thanks for the information. Guess things changed a lot between the 80s and 2010s. If there is anything I can do from a bed, let me know. Temporarily have leg and back issues.

John

On Dec 16, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Sorry, let me clarify. There were two OTR Digests. One was a published magazine, of which almost all are scanned on our site. The other - the one under discussion - is an email listserv run by Charlie Summers until his recent death. It was started in the late 1990s; you can read about it here (https://www.old-time.com/digguide.html). For many years there were daily - even twice a day - groups of emails compiled into digest form sent out to subscribers. In recent years it has slowed to maybe a digest every few days. It is a crucial resource for understanding how the hobby transitioned into the digital era (when I and many others discovered the hobby).

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 08:23:20 AM CST, John Nicholson <wryterjccc@...> wrote:

Ryan,
  We have most of the OTR Digests posted on the OTRR website. Are you looking to create a Table of Contents, Index, or something else? The issues I scanned (about half of them) are all in searchable PDFs. I don’t know about the rest of them. I would be willing to help Jim if what you want is in my wheelhouse. We might want to rescan some of the earlier ones where it’s difficult to recognize the pictures.

John Nicholson

On Dec 16, 2020, at 8:11 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

As mentioned elsewhere, there is an effort to collect and make an accessible archive of all the posts from the Old Time Radio Digest going back to its found, ca. 1997. Jim Widner, who some of you know from trading and selling programs for decades, is unofficially heading up the effort. I have been in contact with him about OTRR being open to hosting the "archive" in some form, as we try to preserve the history of the OTR hobby as well as OTR itself. That being said, I volunteered without having any of the requisite technical skills to turning such a vast amount of data into a usable source. I know we have some tech whizzes in this group; if any of you are interested in getting more information and starting to think about how this info could be saved long-term and sorted in such a way that hobbyists and historians could access and utilize it, we'd love to hear from you.