Re: Radio Logs

bob_pedersen@...

Hello Larry. I found a 1965 article stating that not only Big Sister was being remade, but also Pepper Young's Family. The article states, "The...programs are taped in new York by a firm out of Boston, 'Modern Drama.' John Scott MacLellan, who has 25 years' experience in radio drama, updated the old soaps and is syndicating them to radio stations around the country. Vivian Smolen, who plays 'Big Sister,' shed her first radio tears on 'Our Gal Sunday,.' She also played the part of 'Laurel' in 'Stella Dallas.' Arthur Hughes was 'Just Plain Bill' for a decade on radio. Now he will be 'Dr. Carvell' on 'Big Sister.' Among the newcomers to this old trade are Gillian Spencer, Julie Mannix and Peter Fernandez (he's 'Pepper Young')."

From: Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:28 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Radio Logs

There's also this site, though for this particular project it won't help since it only goes through 1960.

A quick look through Newspapers.com (don't have time for more right now) indicates those are two separate shows. It was airing into at least 1967. However, it looks like they both started at least in 1938, if not before.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:
There is a site called newspapers.com which via a subscription has access to scanned papers from all over the country.  I use it for the obits.  The cost is reasonable as I recall.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, 1:16:18 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Some members of our groups have demonstrated the ability to search radio broadcast logs that were printed in newspapers well back into the 20th Century.  I would like to know if anyone can find evidence that a series of episodes of Big Sister and/or Pepper Young's Family was aired during the year 1965.

A fellow collector has several episodes of each of these serials that he says are dated 1965, and it would be newsworthy if they were actually aired over one or more radio stations in that year.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide the answer to that question.