Re: Request for Fact-Checking Assistance

Larry Maupin

Thank you Michael.  KNX is the only radio station anyone has mentioned that may have broadcast the final episodes of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar and Suspense.  I will add it to the article.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Thursday January 7 2021 10:36:00PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Fact-Checking Assistance

I listened to all of these on KNX in Los Angeles. My memory is that YTJD came on at 5PM, Suspense at 5:30, HGWT at 6PM and Gunsmoke at 6:30.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 5:29 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Thank you Scott.  I just looked at the article using your link, and it really is interesting.  Apparently Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar aired at 6pm on at least some stations.  I think we got it at about 7:30 or 8 where I lived.  It confirms that both YTJD and Suspense aired their final episodes on the same night (September 30, 1962).  I would cite it in the article if it could be sourced beyond its appearance on the OTRCAT website.  Anonymous articles, as I think you would agree, are more problematical to cite than those that can be sourced to a specific newspaper or magazine.

Larry 

Cc:
Sent: Thursday January 7 2021 7:50:38PM

I suspect you have a site blocker problem with your virus protection software. Annoying stuff, always needing to be tuned.

But, if you can’t fix it, the article is attached.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 6:19 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Rick,

Thank you for the link, and I would like to read the article.  The link leads to a message that reads "Sorry, OTRCAT.com is currently unavailable."  This is what I have seen for probably a year now when trying to access the site because a remarkably large number of people have posted messages indicating that it is still an active old-time radio dealer.  I think that the owner either died or went out of business without closing the website.  If you were able to read the article using that link, then maybe I have just been blocked from the site for some reason without knowing it.

Larry  

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Thursday January 7 2021 2:30:22PM

Larry,

OTR Cat has an article on the subject...Here is the link

Labor ipse voluptas

On Thursday, January 7, 2021, 1:15:35 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you John and Larry.  I just finished curating a collection of final episodes of old-time radio series, and I also have the last episode of Gunsmoke as June 19, 1961 and Have Gun, Will Travel as November 27, 1960.  I did, however, overlook Suspense and will mention it in the article along with Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Thursday January 7 2021 1:25:03PM

Actually, the last two shows to air episodes on September 30, 1962 were Suspense and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.

Have Gun, Will Travel left the air in 1960 and Gunsmoke in June of 1961.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Nicholson
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 10:18 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io

I only know #1. In addition to Johnny Dollar, Suspense, Have Gun Will Travel, and Gunsmoke all aired their last episodes in 1962.

John

On Jan 7, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

A number of fellow researchers have contributed important background information for the article I intend to submit to Ryan which will be entitled :"The 1965 Revival of Old-Time Radio."  I have started composing the first draft, and would like to ask the following questions of our sterling group of scholars, several of whom will be given credit in the body of the article:

1. Is it now the general consensus that the final year of old-time radio was 1962, not 1960?  If so, do you think any other series except Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar should be mentioned as having broadcast their final episode in 1962?

2. Does anyone know where radio station KEZU was located?

3. Brian Kavanaugh writes that there were radio stations in Glen Falls, New York and Rapid City, South Dakota that aired Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family in 1965.  I would like to know from Brian or anyone else the call letters of those stations.

4. I do not see in my notes the name and call letters and log of the radio station that aired the two soap operas during the evening.  Will the person who contributed that fact please resend it, including the time that each program was aired (I think it was 8:30 and 8:45)?

5. If anyone can locate newspaper logs that show broadcast times of the other old-time radio programs that were part of the 1965 revival (The Fat Man, Dear Dorothea Dix and Hollywood Talking) I would like to include those in the article.

I do think that the logs several members have contributed will make great visuals in the article.  Thanks again to Ryan Ellett, Randy Watts, Bob Pederson, Jim Jones, Joe Webb, Rick Davenport and others who have contributed such a wealth of material to be incorporated into the article.

If you have an answer to any of the above questions, just post it here or send it to me personally if you would prefer.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Join main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.