Re: Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

Allan Foster

Boy, if somebody tries this looking at radio of the 1970's they'll have a real job on their hands.  Besides those shows already mentioned, there are all the shows written and produced by ZBS.  The Jack Flanders series, such as Moon Over Morocco, The Third Tower of Inverness, were produced throughout the 70's and into the 80's.  Plus radio shows like Chicken Man.  In the 80's ZBS produced the Ruby, the Galactic Gumshoe shows.  I"m pretty sure ZBS is still producing shows.  I don't think most here would lump them in with OTR, but they were definitely influenced by OTR but modernized.  They were/are legitimate radio theater though, and I thought very well written and produced.  I always lumped them in with NTR myself.

The beauty of writing a "taxonomy" article about a non-sciece subject is that the author gets to draw all the lines and set all the labels himself or herself.  That's freedom!

Allan

On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 2:13:56 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Michael, if somebody writes an article on "The Silver Age of Radio". he or she will have the most trouble trying to decide what to include.  It will be a lot of fun, but quite a challenge.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday January 9 2021 1:37:07PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Ted has a collection of the 1975 shows

As long as we are discussing radio revivals we shouldn’t forget the Zero Hour narrated by Rod Serling.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:55 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

I think the four programs that were part of the 1975 revival might be a good subject for an article entitled "The Silver Age of Radio."  But the author would need to include CBS Radio Mystery Theater, and it would be a challenge to determine which of the 1400 or so episodes would be the most interesting to readers.  In my opinion the best category of them is those that were based on a short story or a novel by a great writer like Henry James (there are several episodes based on his short stories).

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday January 9 2021 8:02:06AM

As to whether or not this can be considered OTR or OTR revival, with regard to 'The Little Things in Life', Peg Lynch seemed to be recycling scripts (or at least script ideas) from her earlier show, 'The Couple Next Door'. I have seen an episode of the television show for the 1950's that matched the 1975 revival almost word for word, if I remember correctly.

Everyone seems to have their own interpretation of what Old Time Radio is. I for one, have never cared for the acronym OTR. I've always thought it sounded a tad corny. Just me. No hate mail please. I prefer to call it Golden Age Radio, as opposed to Contemporary Radio. As such, in my database, anything American pre-1962 is Golden Age. After that it Contemporary. So the 'Little Things in Life' is just a great example of Contemporary Radio.

It's easier for British Radio. When the BBC changed their call sign ons and frequencies in 1967, that's the cut off point for me. So, when in September of 1967 the BBC Light Programme became BBC Radio 2, the Golden Age ended and the Contemporary Age began. At least, that's how I log it.

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Join main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.