Re: Request for Information

Larry Maupin

Thank you Rick!  I really appreciate your sharing this.  I have an article on The Story of Mary Marlin scheduled to be published in February, and will forward this to the editor in case he wants to include it as an illustration, giving due credit to you as the source.

Frazier Mitchell is an important man in Washington, a member of the president's cabinet, and he is standing with his hand on his wife Bunny's shoulder.  Seated next to Bunny is Mary's husband Joe, and next to him is Mary herself.  Bunny and Joe fall in love while Joe is still a United States Senator, and when Mary finds out about it she is devastated.  Eventually they reconcile when they both realize that neither will ever get to be with him again although they both still love him.

I had to use a magnifying glass to discern the names of the cast members who are pictured, but it is worth the effort.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 15 2021 6:43:47PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Request for Information

Actors photo from my collection from the Story Of Mary Marlin

Inline image

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, January 15, 2021, 4:41:51 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Barbara and Larry!  I am continually impressed by the depth of knowledge of the researchers in this group.  Sometimes I have hesitated to ask for help because I thought no one might respond.  But so many members contributed information and visuals to the article I just completed on "The 1965 Revival of Old-Time Radio" that I feel like it was a community effort.

Now that we have Senator Edwards to add to Joe and Mary Marlin that's almost enough to form a committee.  I am grateful to you both for the information.

Larry Maupin 

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 15 2021 4:20:18PM

Larry, Tyrone Power starred as Senator Dean Edwards in the series Freedom USA.

Barbara

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 12:36 PM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Thank you Ryan and Pygar.  The information about Senator Murphy is very interesting, but does not refute the assumption that Mary Marlin (and I should have added her husband Joe who preceded her in the U.S. Senate) were the only senators in old-time radio.  

This may be a small point, but it does set The Story of Mary Marlin apart from all other OTR soap operas, along with the fact that it is one of only two of them which are principally located in Washington, D.C. 

I welcome corrections if anyone can come up with a U.S. senator who played even a minor role in any other OTR series.

Larry 

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday January 15 2021 2:04:42PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Murphy He did a little radio... Best remembered for the Tom Lehrer song, though...

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Join main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.