Re: MGM Theater of the Air -- new recordings from Hehn Collection -- and an opportunity

Richard Davenport

There are 42 episodes in the MGM Theater of the Air.  I am grabbing the set as we speak.  It will be nice to get an upgrade of a set...

I am using the browser add-on called download them all and selected audio file as the criteria.   It automatically marks all the audio files.  You then select download and let it run.  It sends them all into your download folder.  Simply clean up the file names according to your style and that's it.

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 7:32:04 AM CST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

Some marvelous MGM Theater of the Air from Hehn discs are now at https://archive.org/details/MGMTotAJHMC including some new episodes. The sound is superb for this syndicated series; the discs were in excellent condition.

It would be good if a group began to compile this series for an eventual OTRR maintained set as these recordings make a fine foundation for such an effort.

It was syndicated, so dates are meaningless. My newspaper research showed a general haphazardness of many of the local broadcasts of this series, as is the case with most all syndicated programs. The biggest offense in dating syndicated programs is the Brian Mr DA episodes which have 1952-1953 dates for decades, when the program did not begin Ziv radio syndication until Fall 1954 because Ziv did not have the rights before that. Yet these dates persist in collections.

Therefore, use the http://www.otrsite.com/logs/logm1031.htm and the https://radiogoldin.library.umkc.edu/Home/RadioGoldin_Records?searchString=The%20MGM%20Theatre%20Of%20The%20Air&type=Programs&count=26 listings as program order and content information, not dates.

This is a great opportunity to leverage the Hehn collection for OTRR members.

There are 21 flac files from the Hehn discs at the archive.org site of which 8 appear to be truly new to circulation compared to the otrsite log.