Absolutely correct.  That's why it's best to use a program that exports directly to PDF without finalizing it in a true sense.

Typically scans take pictures and put that into the pdf container.  No ability do use other effects either (page turns, hyperlinks, indexing etc), which is not applicable to this discussion, but just something else to keep in mind.  It just depends on how "rich" you want that pdf target to be.

Evan

On 2021-02-20 08:51 AM, - wrote:

For blind users with screen readers; scanned documents are not usable, picturers of text don't speak if you will.  There are nongraphical
methods which should be explored first it seems to me.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, Richard Davenport wrote:

Send it as a word doc or print a copy from pdf then scan the pages as images then paste the images into a pdf.  That will keep the formatting intact. Send me a clean finished copy and i will scan them into jpeg for you.
On Feb 19, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

???
I use LibreOffice Writer and it has a direct export to PDF and it works like a charm.  No issues with formatting, but I work exclusive within that or for my books, I work with Scribus (think inDesign) which also has a direct to PDF export as well.

Evan West

On 2021-02-19 12:59 PM, Allan Foster via groups.io wrote:

What software do you use to convert the document to .pdf?

Allan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:41 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.
Ryan

<Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.37.38 AM.png>
<Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.36.19 AM.png>