Re: Mr. Chameleon

B. J. Watkins

Where can I find The Dream House Murder?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Gassman <larrygassman1@...>
Sent: Sunday, March 7, 2021 10:46 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Mr. Chameleon

Okay, does the talking parrot episode actually exist in recorded form?

Larry

Amos 'n' Andy program #309 - for broadcast, March 21, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #310 - for broadcast, March 22, 1929

Amos 'n' Andy program #311 - for broadcast, March 23, 1929

These programs were broadcast five months before Amos 'n' Andy began their long run on NBC.

But these rare discs did not come cheap. Together, they cost just about $1,000 at a recent auction. To help cover that cost, interested collectors can pledge $20 for high quality .wav files of these shows. And you'll get much more than these three programs.

What else will be included for your $20 pledge:

- Ten PDF copies of Amos 'n' Andy scripts covering the shows around the new discoveries. These scripts have recently been scanned from microfilm copies held by the Library of Congress.

- Two previously uncirculated copies of CECIL AND SALLY, another very early show that was syndicated on discs. They'll come to you in high resolution .wav file copies.

- One "lost" episode of MR. CHAMELEON not available anywhere else.

A note on the sound quality of the Amos 'n' Andy programs: don't expect high fidelity. These discs, while in very good shape, are a bit noisy. In fact, every AnA "chainless chain" disc pressed by Marsh and offered before, is similarly noisy. It's probably one of the reasons why Gosden and Correll switched to Brunswick to record and press their episodes, before finally moving to live broadcasts over NBC. Sammy Jones will use the finest playback equipment at his disposal to get the sound out of the grooves, but the audio files won't be subjected to excessive noise reduction.

And finally, a disclaimer: as mentioned above, the cost to acquire these three programs wasn't cheap. It broke down to more than $300 per show, paid by one collector. If a similar amount can't be raised to offset much of that amount, all pledged money will be returned, and these discs will sit on the shelf for another time. We need to sell 50 of these to help defer the costs. (If we do reach the goal, we will also toss an extra CD of "lost" radio shows on top of what we described above.)

To reserve your .wav files of three lost 1929 broadcasts of Amos 'n' Andy, send $20 via PayPal to m.grams@.... Please use the friends and family option, so there are no extra fees. If we meet the fundraising goal, people who pledge will receive a link to download the audio files and PDF scripts.