Re: March/April Issue of OLD RADIO TIMES

Ryan Ellett

I would be remiss if I didn't make sure to point out Richard Davenport's proofreading contributions. Although he gets a credit in the issue, many readers probably overlook it. Microsoft Word formatting gets thrown off so easily, but his proofing of the last two issues has really caught a ton of layout issues that impact readability, not to mention smaller grammatical and spelling errors.

And to Larry's comments, a reminder that our publication is only as good as the contributions we receive. We are fortunate to have a number of regular contributors who provide wonderful insight to our beloved programs.

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 08:37:10 AM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

I would like to congratulate our beloved leader Ryan Ellett on another masterpiece of editing.  The latest issue of ORT is very enjoyable and contains some beautiful visual illustrations.

Several of our group members who contributed to my article on the 1975-76 revival of dramatic radio are mentioned by name, and as always I am grateful for the generosity of such outstanding researchers as Pete Cavallo, Dr. Joe Webb, Brian Kavanaugh and Kent Schroder.

The article by Martin Grams entitled "Margot Lane: A Character Study" is really good, and makes me want to listen again to all the episodes of The Shadow that he mentions in it.  He places special emphasis on the relationship between Margot and Lamont Cranston, and raises a number of questions about their relationship.  Was she just his "Girl Friday" or a friend, or a sweetheart?  Did they have sex? (Okay, Martin doesn't bring that up, but what fan of the program can help wondering about it?).  There is also a stunningly beautiful full color visual illustration that enhances the appearance of the article.

In "Fugue in C Minor" Denise Noe demonstrates what can be achieved by writing an entire article on one episode, in this case of Suspense.  It is very well written and is supported by abundant research.