Re: Springbok Radio

Richard Davenport

I fail to see what the big deal is about folks asking questions about SA radio.  I have found that some folks or institutions seem to really pucker up when it comings to sharing information or files.  I also have a passion for movie serials and have built a very comprehensive spreadsheet about what I believe to be every single one ever released.  I have a pretty decent collection of digital versions of the chapters of the various serials.  I will not name names but those of us here who appreciate a good serial probably know of to whom I refer.  It does the world no good if things are stuck in a dark warehouse on a shelf when the holder thinks there is some sort of monetary value in it as the most important aspect of having them.  I am a preserver and it irks me to no end when things sit around on dusty shelves and get forgotten about.  There are those with skills to digitize, restore and preserve these lost treasures of the past eras.  I also have a very large spreadsheet I maintain with information on all known radio shows.  It is far from complete but it is where I dump facts on the shows as I learn them.  I am working now on a complete listing of all FM&M shows so folks can check of what they have and need and have something to refer to as needed.

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 06:41:26 PM CDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

This will be the last I will say on this subject. If we look at my initial post, all I was doing (which I regret now, and find a trifle embarrassing) was to showcase my enthusiasm to this group and to say that I enjoyed what little I've heard of South African radio, and was wondering if there was a book on the subject. That was all. I wasn't trying to steal someone's research, incorrectly date files, or post stuff to some sort of online site. Or charge money for anything. Quite the contrary. I was willing to spend money if there was a good book on the subject, just as I've done on dozens of other books on the subject of golden age radio broadcasters from all over the world. Seems pretty harmless to me to just simply ask if there's a book out there somewhere.

Further to that, I've enjoyed your site Ian, and have posted a couple of comments there over the years thanking you for expanding my knowledge of Australian radio. I don't understand the difference. Is South Africa's radio heritage the domain of a few? I seriously doubt that the people involved in the creation of that content up until 1985 would like to know that someone thinks that the shows are their private pleasure garden. But maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, I did not intend to start a flame war of any sort. My initial post was just an innocent burst of enthusiasm. I will not make that mistake again, and will go back to just being a reader of posts. Fewer headaches.