Re: Old Time Radio Shortwave

Philip Atchley

Hi,

I've been an active SWL (shortwave listener) since around 1953 when I was given an old console radio (I was 10 yrs old).  I got heavily bit by the bug and it led to a lifelong interest in radio, career in electronics etc.

Alas, shortwave isn't what it once was, BBC and a few other international broadcasters still hang on (Radio Havana immediately comes to mind), as well as a few religious broadcasters.  But I don't recall hearing any real OTR recently.

Maybe a year ago I heard some Amos and Andy and a couple other shows on a 'pirate' broadcaster, but then, I haven't done a lot of SWLing in quite awhile (more active on the hambands though).

<>< 73 From "The Beaconeer's Lair" <><
Specializing in DXing NDBs (Longwave Beacons)
Phil, KO6BB, http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/

HF/LF RADIOS:
YAESU: FTDX-101MP Xceiver, Dual SDR Receivers (~2020)
YAESU: FTDX-3000 Xceiver, DSP IF, 300Hz Roofing filter (~2019).
Uniden: SDS-200 Scanner, 25-1300MHz (2020)
Portable: Eton Elite 750 (2), AKA Grundig Satelite 750 (2020)
Sangean ATS-909X2 (2021), Tecsun PL-990 (2021)
HOMEBREW: 7 Tube+Rect 1v3 Regen RX for LF (built 2015)
SDRS: Perseus 10KHz-40MHz (2020)
Softrock Ensemble II LF Receiver (kit, 2017)
Softrock Ensemble II HF Receiver (Kit, 2019)
ACC: MFJ-993B Auto Antenna Matcher.
HOMEBREW LF-MF Pre-Amp, 8Hz Audio Filter.
HOMEBREW 4 Port Antenna Multicoupler, Feeds 4 RX's.

ANTENNAS: 88 foot Long Ladder-line fed dipole, ~35 feet AGL for MW/HF.
Top Loaded Tee (Dipole fed as single element) ~35 Feet AGL.
Comet CHA-250B HF Vertical at ~24 Feet AGL For HF.
Ratzlaff Active whip, 5 Foot Long, ~16 Feet AGL For LF/MW/HF.
Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop For LF/MW/HF at ~17 Feet AGL
Diamond Discone ~35 feet AGL for Scanner.
Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh

On 9/28/2021 5:31 AM, KENDALL SHARPE via groups.io wrote:
I recently purchased a shortwave radio, does anyone know of any old time radio stations that exist on shortwave and are receivable within the United States?  I found out online that an OTR shortwave radio station did exist back in the summer of 2019, but I've been unable to find anything that's still current.
_._,_._,_