Re: Transferring help

Wild West Designs

You can usually find out the format that they are end by using whatever file manager's properties option for the drive.

There are some OEM external drives that are formatted for usage on both the Mac and Windows platform, not all are (although I would speculate that those that aren't set up that way, usually favor Windows over Mac just based on market share alone), but that doesn't mean that whomever had it before you didn't format it differently.

If it is seeing the shares, but not being able to write to the share, that really does sound like a permissions issue though.  If it's not seeing the shares and thus not able to write to it, I would think more along the lines of the file system (or maybe a corruption).  Windows can be more finicky with corruptions compared to the Unix like systems.  I'll get errors constantly for a jump on a Win 10 computer, but yet Linux will never register an error.  And since it's not crucial (and it's an old one, so I'm expecting it to die at any time really), I haven't investigated that further.

The joys of computers.

Evan

On 2021-12-19 12:35 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:

Maybe I'll look into that; I'd be afraid of losing the material on them. They are both hard drives that were sent to me loaded with content so i don't know what formatting may have been done initially. I don't have the space to hold the material on them if I would need to empty them first to do any formatting.

On Sunday, December 19, 2021, 11:46:53 AM CST, K & J Hammel <haml@...> wrote:

I don't think you need to give up convenience.  Someone mentioned reformatting Mac drives to exfat so the PC will read them, too.  Do a little research. Most external drives should work well with either Mac or PC if formatted appropriately.  Good luck.

Kathy

On Sunday, December 19, 2021, 06:39:34 AM PST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Yes, I'm thinking I just need to avoid using the Mac for OTR stuff, unfortunately. My PC is relegated to the cooler, less comfortable basement while the Macbook is very portable so it was nice to be able to work upstairs. But for the greater good of OTR-dom I'll make the sacrifice...

On Sunday, December 19, 2021, 08:26:30 AM CST, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

If you are unable to write to drives, I would think that you may have permission issues (since you are moving between two different OS platforms, it is possible that something hinky happened).  Hooking it up to the router, may change permissions, however, that does mean that your router has direct connection to the drive, so any issues that are on your router (and yes, sometimes instead of vectors of attack happening on the computer, they are directed to the routers, especially since those aren't protected in the same manner as computers are), so I would be cautious of that as a long term solution.  I would block the connection (WAN) to the drive if it's connected to the router, make sure it's LAN only.  If you monitor what goes on the network, wouldn't believe how many pings it gets from outside sources and attempts to bruteforce into the drives.

I would be cautions with doing any mac centric solutions (or vice versa) when doing things cross platform, that could be some of the reasons why things are getting hinky for you.

Evan

On 2021-12-19 07:49 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:

Okay, tech experts, I'm nearing the end of my rope. I finished proofing a set of flac files for a series on my MacBook and am now trying to move them over to my PC - where I do most of OTR work - to finish the set for distribution. But I'm running into problems. I've tried two external hard drives and they won't let me write the files to them. I tried a jump drive and the PC won't recognize it, even though it recognized the drive a few months ago when someone sent me files on it. I've tried uploading the files to pCloud but they just timeout and don't upload. The files play just fine on the MacBook; no error messages or anything. What the heck is going on? I can't figure out how to get these files to my PC to finish up the set. I don't have a burner for the Mac or I'd try putting them on a dvd.