It doesn't appear the two two-channel files affect the file size, which I suppose makes sense, since the original recordings wouldn't have been in stereo. A lot of Richard's mislabeled duplicates are two-channel files (though the correctly labeled one is not - an example is #10/#35). Maybe how the source presented them? At least some of them have tags indicating they came from otrnow.com.

Most of the 192 kbps files have a greater audio range than the 128 kbps files, indicating they really were recorded at a higher bitrate originally - rather than re-encoded at a higher rate after the information was already lost due to a lower bitrate original recording.

image.png

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 10:15 PM Larry Gassman <larrygassman1@...> wrote:

We dubbed them for SPERDVAC in the 90’s.  They were donations.
What you have is what we had with tons of gaps.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 9, 2022 7:49 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Black Flame

I'm a bit surprised there's a difference in any of them; it wouldn't surprise me if all the digital copies floating around originated from the same source recording at some point. It's not a popular show and I can't imagine numerous versions were digitized from tapes and reels back in the day.

On Sunday, January 9, 2022, 09:13:19 AM CST, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian@...> wrote:

I went through all of them and compared them to the proposed set. There are a lot of mislabeled shows. There are two possible sound upgrades. The one labeled as episode 1 (really episode 11) is at a higher bitrate. That said, when I compare it to the version we have using Spec, the files look identical. The more promising one is #36. It is also a higher bitrate, and it looks cleaner/fuller in Spec than our version. Someone might want to listen to both of them and see what they think, as I don't think I'm a great judge of that, either.

1. Same as 11, may be a slight upgrade
3. Same as 13
4. Same as 15
5. Same as 21