Jay Hickerson, RIP

Joe Webb

It is with great sadness that I must report yesterday's passing of a classic radio hobby giant, Jay Hickerson. (August 3, 2022)
If you have been on some of the hobby Facebook pages, you have learned of it there. This is the first chance that I have had to post it or comment on it here.

There may be OTRR members who may never have heard of Jay, or the FOTR conventions, or his newsletter "Hello Again." There are us old timers who have warm memories and great gratitude about such things. The final FOTR convention was in 2011, and in December 2022, YesterdayUSA marked the 10th anniversary with a lively discussion that included yours truly, Stu Weiss (involved in the convention committee from the first in 1976 to the last in 2011), and Sean Dougherty. Jay was not well enough to join us online that day, but mention of his role in our hobby was delightfully constant. That YUSA broadcast is now available at https://archive.org/details/10thannivlastFOTR and can be streamed there or downloaded. That page also has background perspective about Jay's influence in our beloved hobby and the significance of those conventions. Thank you to YUSA for their enthusiastic permission to post this recording to mark Jay's passing.

Thankfully, the OTRR library has years of PDFs of Jay's Hello Again newsletter, and there are also some in the Joe Hehn Memorial Collection. If you want to see our hobby grow up, those HA newsletters show its development from a seedling to what we have today.

Please go to https://archive.org/details/10thannivlastFOTR for that retrospective summary of Jay's role in OTR and also that recording from last Fall. It's about two hours.