locked Wisconsin Public Radio Ends OTR Broadcast Saying, "It's Racist and Sexist"

Pastor Gary

I don't chime in often, but I feel compelled to speak up for this bit of news.

06/20/2020 - Wisconsin Public Radio produced and broadcasted a radio show called "Old Time Radio Drama" for many decades.  It formerly aired on Saturday and Sundays from 8:00-11:00 PM.  Their long-running and popular radio program has now been canceled and the archives removed from the WPR website because it "include[s] racist and sexist materials.".

Here's what they have to say at this link:

"While schedule changes can be difficult, now is the right time to end this program," said Mike Crane, WPR director. "Many of these plays and productions were produced more than 60 years ago and include racist and sexist material.   Despite significant efforts over the years, it has been nearly impossible to find historic programs without offensive and outdated content. And, ultimately, these programs don’t represent the values of WPR and The Ideas Network’s focus on public service through news and information."

It's getting crazy out there and it makes me wonder just how soon they'll be coming for my collection of "racist and sexist" OTR?

Are we next and which OTR resource might succumb to this movement in the future???

Do we just let this happen, or do we somehow speak out?

Gary