Topics

Test Poll #poll

Ryan Ellett

What is the best number of answer options for a poll?

Results

See Who Responded

Ryan Ellett

I know we had a couple people asking/commenting about polls in the last couple weeks. It looks we can make polls but I don't know that anyone besides the creator can add answer options. Is this what folks were wondering about? Maybe it was Larry?

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for restoring the poll option!  I can think of a variety of purposes for which polls can be used, including even allowing members to volunteer for projects when a project leader needs help, voting on series we would like to see certified, and of course the ones created just for enjoyment.

Yes, I did post a couple of messages after we lost the ability to create polls because I have an idea for two or three more that would be just for fun.  The fact is that you can create as many as five options.  Three appear automatically.  In your test poll you have four.  To get five, you just click on the "add" button two times instead of one before you type in the options.  If you enter the default three answers first and then try to add one or two more, the poll will be created immediately and posted with only the three options.  I hope other members will create polls, and if they read this it may help avoid the mistake I made in the only poll I have created.

As for anyone besides the creator being able to add options, I don't know either but I doubt it.  I have thought of using "Other" as the fifth option so that other members could cast a "write-in" vote.  In this election year, that would seem very democratic and might be fun.  If you or anyone else has any thoughts on how that  could best be done, I would like to know them.