Topics

George Edwards and Frankenstein

Scott Galley

Good morning all.

A quick note this morning regarding Mr. George Edwards. My wife and I are huge fans of his available output, having listened to excellent transfers of his "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Afloat with Henry Morgan" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" thanks to the fine work from Radio Archives.

For Halloween, we listened to his much earlier adaptation of Frankenstein and, while still uniformly excellent, was marred by crappy quality. I think this entered my collection 20 years ago, and it sounds like it. Muffled, with those annoying mp3 'pops' (I don't know how else to describe them, but they drive me insane), etc;

So my question for the morning is this: do we have any idea as to how much more of his prodigious output survives? Does anyone have a better copy of Frankenstein or any of his other works? I approached Bruce from Grace Gibson about seeing what else was in the Australian archives, but he informed me that it's not easy to get recordings out of there unless you have the proper paperwork, so that avenue appears to be closed.

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best;
Scott

Scott Galley

Scratch "The Count of Monte Christo". We haven't heard that yet. I was supposed to type "The Corsican Brothers" and "The Adventures of Marco Polo". Those were both wonderful.

Damon Fries

I’ve been looking for an upgrade too….I used to have the Radiola vinyl from the 80s (?), which cut the intro/outros to make it a 2-hour story - it was not amazing quality, but much better and listenable than what I have now.

On 1 Nov 2020, at 13:05, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

Good morning all.

A quick note this morning regarding Mr. George Edwards. My wife and I are huge fans of his available output, having listened to excellent transfers of his "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Afloat with Henry Morgan" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" thanks to the fine work from Radio Archives.

For Halloween, we listened to his much earlier adaptation of Frankenstein and, while still uniformly excellent, was marred by crappy quality. I think this entered my collection 20 years ago, and it sounds like it. Muffled, with those annoying mp3 'pops' (I don't know how else to describe them, but they drive me insane), etc;

So my question for the morning is this: do we have any idea as to how much more of his prodigious output survives? Does anyone have a better copy of Frankenstein or any of his other works? I approached Bruce from Grace Gibson about seeing what else was in the Australian archives, but he informed me that it's not easy to get recordings out of there unless you have the proper paperwork, so that avenue appears to be closed.

Best;
Scott

Phil Becker

Scott,

Could you send me a direct email address to contact you (mine is phil@...)?  I may be able to help.

Phil

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Galley via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2020 4:08 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] George Edwards and Frankenstein

Scratch "The Count of Monte Christo". We haven't heard that yet. I was supposed to type "The Corsican Brothers" and "The Adventures of Marco Polo". Those were both wonderful.

Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>

Hi all,

I have what everyone else has.

I also have the radiola recordings, but they are no longer in the 11 or 12 minute format.

Audio quality is much better than the stuff that is on the Internet at 32 KBPS.

Radiola combined episodes to make a 30 minute episode when they were released in album form.  There are 4 of them.

So, quality is far better but I do not know if anything is missing from the presentation.

If anyone wants to check, I’d be happy to send them a link.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Becker
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2020 9:56 AM

Scott,

Could you send me a direct email address to contact you (mine is phil@...)?  I may be able to help.

Phil

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Galley via groups.io

Damon Fries

I’d love to check them out - I expect that the entire story is there, just the redundant music (can’t remember if there are recaps) removed, which commercially makes a lot of sense of course….

On 1 Nov 2020, at 18:46, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have what everyone else has.

I also have the radiola recordings, but they are no longer in the 11 or 12 minute format.

Audio quality is much better than the stuff that is on the Internet at 32 KBPS.

Radiola combined episodes to make a 30 minute episode when they were released in album form.  There are 4 of them.

So, quality is far better but I do not know if anything is missing from the presentation.

If anyone wants to check, I’d be happy to send them a link.

Larry

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Becker
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2020 9:56 AM

Scott,

Phil

Ian Grieve

The Australian Archives do not have the  George Edwards 52 ep series of Frankenstein or the earlier 1 Hour Play he did, only the 13 episode circulating mp3 series I gave them, amoungst other George Edwards shows I donated.  They had none of George Edwards massive output and the staff didn't know who he was when I first inquired, it was embarrassing.  Everyone in Australia knows about the Dad & Dave series he did.  They just no longer know the George Edwards name.

Bruce doesn't have it either.  Grace Gibson acted as Agent for some of the shows, but they were not/are not the Rights Holder.  EMI bought George Edwards Productions and after he died, they took everything offshore to the U.S.  only bits and pieces remained in Australia, Search for the Golden Boomerang, Dad and Dave, Martins Corner and a few others that don't appear in the U.S.  There would have been a massive amount as even after transcriptions started being used he would have produced well over 100 full length serials.  You can see the list on my website.

The serials that have shown up, including Frankenstein and others Radio Archives have released are originating in the U.S.  I see Jerry only has the 13 episode Frankenstein that was on the LP, but I don't know about the quality.  I will ask him.

Radio Archives have 1 or 2 incomplete George Edwards serials as they have asked me and other collectors if the missing episodes have surfaced.

Occasionally a single disc will turn up, but you need 26, 52, 104 discs to make a complete run.  All his 1 hour weekly self contained shows were pre transcription.

Ian

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 1/11/2020 10:05:31 PM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] George Edwards and Frankenstein

Good morning all.

Best;
Scott

Richard Davenport

Found this link today.  Count of Monte Cristo via Radiola...

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas

On Sunday, November 1, 2020, 2:49:30 PM CST, Ian Grieve <austotr@...> wrote:

The Australian Archives do not have the  George Edwards 52 ep series of Frankenstein or the earlier 1 Hour Play he did, only the 13 episode circulating mp3 series I gave them, amoungst other George Edwards shows I donated.  They had none of George Edwards massive output and the staff didn't know who he was when I first inquired, it was embarrassing.  Everyone in Australia knows about the Dad & Dave series he did.  They just no longer know the George Edwards name.

Bruce doesn't have it either.  Grace Gibson acted as Agent for some of the shows, but they were not/are not the Rights Holder.  EMI bought George Edwards Productions and after he died, they took everything offshore to the U.S.  only bits and pieces remained in Australia, Search for the Golden Boomerang, Dad and Dave, Martins Corner and a few others that don't appear in the U.S.  There would have been a massive amount as even after transcriptions started being used he would have produced well over 100 full length serials.  You can see the list on my website.

The serials that have shown up, including Frankenstein and others Radio Archives have released are originating in the U.S.  I see Jerry only has the 13 episode Frankenstein that was on the LP, but I don't know about the quality.  I will ask him.

Radio Archives have 1 or 2 incomplete George Edwards serials as they have asked me and other collectors if the missing episodes have surfaced.

Occasionally a single disc will turn up, but you need 26, 52, 104 discs to make a complete run.  All his 1 hour weekly self contained shows were pre transcription.

Ian

Sent: 1/11/2020 10:05:31 PM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] George Edwards and Frankenstein

Good morning all.

Best;
Scott

Ian Grieve

Also circulating, maybe from Radio Archives is Man in the Iron Mask as well as Son of Porthos.

The episodes of Frankenstein from Jerry are very low in sound volume as are the circulating episodes, but they are clearer and less muffled as the circulating episodes, nor are they suffering from speed issues where in the intro music of the circulating episodes it speeds up and down.  I would suggest buying the set from him to get the quality.  You can trust the quality from Jerry.  Easy to increase the volume.

Ian

Sent: 1/11/2020 10:07:51 PM

Scott Galley

Thanks all for the deep dive into this topic. It's frustrating to think how much has been lost, but frankly, we can say that about pretty much everything, can't we?

With regard to an upgrade, I have never bought off Jerry H. before, but this might just be the opportunity to jump into those waters. We'll probably want to listen to the series again in a couple of years and an improvement, even a slight one, would be well worth the cost.

Phil, I'll send you my email address this morning.

Ian, thank you very much for your detailed information. It was your list of Mr. Edwards output that made my head spin. So many serials. And if the quality was up to the standard of what survives, which I assume it was, the loss is enormous.

Next on my list of queries and questions will be the transcription dates for a number of various Australian series and serials. Stay tuned!

Thanks again;
Scott

Ian Grieve

Still more work to do in this section putting colums in, but the data is there.  Under George Edwards serials that I have documented are list, along with the first broadcast date.  Remember that Australian dates are DD/MM/YYYY.  In this case there is a column for Year, then the date including year.  I just got bored lining it up and making columns and haven't got back to it.

Over 6,000 Australian Series/Serials are listed in that link.

Also, Bruce Ferrier is a Mate of mine, but you have to remember George Edwards was Grace's biggest competitor both when she came to Australia from TRANSCO and started ARTRANSA and then later when she started Grace Gibson Productions.  No love lost between the two.  Long before Bruce's time.

Ian

Sent: 2/11/2020 9:36:19 PM

Thanks all for the deep dive into this topic. It's frustrating to think how much has been lost, but frankly, we can say that about pretty much everything, can't we?

With regard to an upgrade, I have never bought off Jerry H. before, but this might just be the opportunity to jump into those waters. We'll probably want to listen to the series again in a couple of years and an improvement, even a slight one, would be well worth the cost.

Phil, I'll send you my email address this morning.

Ian, thank you very much for your detailed information. It was your list of Mr. Edwards output that made my head spin. So many serials. And if the quality was up to the standard of what survives, which I assume it was, the loss is enormous.

Next on my list of queries and questions will be the transcription dates for a number of various Australian series and serials. Stay tuned!

Thanks again;
Scott

Scott Galley

That list is pretty impressive, Ian.

Being meaning to watch your History of Australian OTR the Martin Grams posted on YouTube a while back. Maybe tonight is the night. Actually, tonight would be the perfect night, come to think of it.

It's interesting to ponder the idea that George Edwards and Grace Gibson were arch rivals. Makes sense, given that it was a business, after all.

I'm a huge fan of Bruce Ferrier's output. Not everything is to my taste, but the lion's share is. I'll post a separate thread of shows that I'd like to find broadcast dates for (if I can't find them on your extensive list). Just the year would suffice, if anyone can help. Seeing as they were transcriptions, I assume broadcasters around the world could air them at a time most suitable to them.

S

Ian Grieve

I have the first broadcast dates for all of Grace Gibsons shows.  Reg James kept all that info in a little black book.

That is listed in the Production Houses output list on the website.

The youtube video from MANC 2016 was about American Influence on Australian OTR.  Rather than a History of Australian OTR.

Not all OTR is to my taste either.  Grace Gibson did a lot of serials aimed specifically at Women.  I prefer self contained series rather than serials.  But Bruce has a lot to choose from.  It keeps him busy.

Grace had half a dozen major rivals and lots of small ones.  George Edwards output was massive and he was her biggest rival.  But because of her connections in the U S., even managing TRANSCO early in WWII, Grace sold more shows back to the U.S. than any other Australian Production House.

Ian

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/11/20 6:57 am (GMT+10:00)

That list is pretty impressive, Ian.

Being meaning to watch your History of Australian OTR the Martin Grams posted on YouTube a while back. Maybe tonight is the night. Actually, tonight would be the perfect night, come to think of it.

It's interesting to ponder the idea that George Edwards and Grace Gibson were arch rivals. Makes sense, given that it was a business, after all.

I'm a huge fan of Bruce Ferrier's output. Not everything is to my taste, but the lion's share is. I'll post a separate thread of shows that I'd like to find broadcast dates for (if I can't find them on your extensive list). Just the year would suffice, if anyone can help. Seeing as they were transcriptions, I assume broadcasters around the world could air them at a time most suitable to them.

S

Scott Galley

The fact that Mr. James kept a detailed list (even "Stand By for Crime" I'm sure ;-)) is wonderful to hear! I'll email you off list so that I don't pester everyone here. I'll get your email from your website if possible, and email you today or tomorrow.

All the best;
Scott