Topics

George Edwards and Frankenstein

Scott Galley

Good morning all.

A quick note this morning regarding Mr. George Edwards. My wife and I are huge fans of his available output, having listened to excellent transfers of his "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "The Count of Monte Cristo", "Afloat with Henry Morgan" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" thanks to the fine work from Radio Archives.

For Halloween, we listened to his much earlier adaptation of Frankenstein and, while still uniformly excellent, was marred by crappy quality. I think this entered my collection 20 years ago, and it sounds like it. Muffled, with those annoying mp3 'pops' (I don't know how else to describe them, but they drive me insane), etc;

So my question for the morning is this: do we have any idea as to how much more of his prodigious output survives? Does anyone have a better copy of Frankenstein or any of his other works? I approached Bruce from Grace Gibson about seeing what else was in the Australian archives, but he informed me that it's not easy to get recordings out of there unless you have the proper paperwork, so that avenue appears to be closed.

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best;
Scott

Scott Galley

Scratch "The Count of Monte Christo". We haven't heard that yet. I was supposed to type "The Corsican Brothers" and "The Adventures of Marco Polo". Those were both wonderful.

Damon Fries

I’ve been looking for an upgrade too….I used to have the Radiola vinyl from the 80s (?), which cut the intro/outros to make it a 2-hour story - it was not amazing quality, but much better and listenable than what I have now.

On 1 Nov 2020, at 13:05, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

[...]

Phil Becker

Scott,

   Could you send me a direct email address to contact you (mine is phil@...)?  I may be able to help.

Phil

From: "Scott Galley via groups.io" <scottgalley@...>
Date: 4/11/20 6:57 am (GMT+10:00)
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

That list is pretty impressive, Ian.

Being meaning to watch your History of Australian OTR the Martin Grams posted on YouTube a while back. Maybe tonight is the night. Actually, tonight would be the perfect night, come to think of it.

It's interesting to ponder the idea that George Edwards and Grace Gibson were arch rivals. Makes sense, given that it was a business, after all.

I'm a huge fan of Bruce Ferrier's output. Not everything is to my taste, but the lion's share is. I'll post a separate thread of shows that I'd like to find broadcast dates for (if I can't find them on your extensive list). Just the year would suffice, if anyone can help. Seeing as they were transcriptions, I assume broadcasters around the world could air them at a time most suitable to them.

Scott Galley

The fact that Mr. James kept a detailed list (even "Stand By for Crime" I'm sure ;-)) is wonderful to hear! I'll email you off list so that I don't pester everyone here. I'll get your email from your website if possible, and email you today or tomorrow.

All the best;
Scott