OTRR Library additions


Paul Kornman
 

The OTRR Library (https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html) has just added an additional 8500 files tied to episodes that previously had no sound file.


Paul Kornman
 

Here's a link to the list of additions:

http://otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/new2103.html


Ryan Ellett
 

This will keep even our most dedicated listeners busy for a few days!


www.RyanEllett.com


The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"




On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 06:08:03 PM CST, Paul Kornman via groups.io <pkornman@...> wrote:


Here's a link to the list of additions:

http://otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/new2103.html


Gordon Johansen
 

Thanks for posting that link. I don't know if there are others but there is one minor issue I noticed when scrolling the list. The very last entry is for "layton noble" 1 episode. I believe it is out of order because of the missing capitalization. It seems odd but is the only reason I can think of.

So many shows I've never heard of. The first that got my attention was Orbit One Zero. SF from 1961 via the BBC. It should be fun to listen to today.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 3/09/21 5:08 PM:
Here's a link to the list of additions:

http://otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/new2103.html

--
Sent from Postbox


Richard Davenport
 

Is it possible to get links to the shows themselves so I know what to update in my library?

Rick


On Mar 10, 2021, at 10:30 AM, Gordon Johansen <gordonjohansen@...> wrote:

 Thanks for posting that link. I don't know if there are others but there is one minor issue I noticed when scrolling the list. The very last entry is for "layton noble" 1 episode. I believe it is out of order because of the missing capitalization. It seems odd but is the only reason I can think of.

So many shows I've never heard of. The first that got my attention was Orbit One Zero. SF from 1961 via the BBC. It should be fun to listen to today.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 3/09/21 5:08 PM:
Here's a link to the list of additions:

http://otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/new2103.html

--
Sent from Postbox


Gordon Johansen
 

If you click on a title on the list, it shows all the individual episodes with their links. Clicking them allows you to either play or download them.

Gord

Richard Davenport wrote on 3/10/21 9:58 AM:
Is it possible to get links to the shows themselves so I know what to update in my library?

Rick


On Mar 10, 2021, at 10:30 AM, Gordon Johansen <gordonjohansen@...> wrote:

 Thanks for posting that link. I don't know if there are others but there is one minor issue I noticed when scrolling the list. The very last entry is for "layton noble" 1 episode. I believe it is out of order because of the missing capitalization. It seems odd but is the only reason I can think of.

So many shows I've never heard of. The first that got my attention was Orbit One Zero. SF from 1961 via the BBC. It should be fun to listen to today.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 3/09/21 5:08 PM:
Here's a link to the list of additions:

http://otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/new2103.html

--
Sent from Postbox

--
Sent from Postbox


Joseph K Adams
 

I was going through the OTRR Library Additions and was surprised to find Bertha and Karl listed.

It made me laugh. I was the writer for this series form 1978 and broadcast through a little network of non-commercial stations around the country. 

The title of the series is "Bertha And..." It was a parody of radio soap operas using the Tuesday and Thursday episodes of a structure that had three stories rotating as an actual formula from soap operas with:

MONDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with recaps
TUESDAY - Storylines A and B
WEDNESDAY - Storylines B and C
THURSDAY - Storylines C and A
FRIDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with cliffhangers

With the big events happening on Monday and Friday.

Each episode was supposed to have a different name. "Bertha and Bernie," "Bertha and Mukluk," "Bertha and Ivan," and so on. But at one point we came up with the idea of Bertha being kidnapped and telling the stories of one or more husbands to see if it was the information Karl needed. "Bertha and Karl" was the name for five or six episodes, but it was followed with Bertha and the Revolution, Bertha and Ivan, Bertha and CIA, and Bertha and Miles (the series finale). 

Only 24 episodes were produced, the first eight of which appeared on the KPFK short live "Dead Air" comedy series and starring Ruth Buell (aka Uncle Ruthie, a popular show host for kids on the weekend) as Bertha. We decided to go with the network we had put together and Ruth left the show, but Michelle Leschi stepped in and proved an even better Bertha. We had a lot of fun and actual have a (poor) video tape of the final rehearsal session for the series. The crew continued to meet for cast parties for several months, including a bowling party, a birthday party for a cast member, and just good old, no-reason to get together other than we wanted to. 

"Bertha And..." was the background for another series called "Hope Street," part of the NewRadio series we attempted to launch at the point where Mount St. Helens blew up. It's a long story, but Mount St. Helens destroyed NewRadio. Oh well.

I love the idea of our shows winding up with OTRR - this is an organization I support wherever I can. I'd like it even better if we could get the name listed properly. 

(I recently uncovered a couple more episodes of "Bertha And..." and will make them available to OTRR.)  
--

-------------------------------------------
Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets


Larry Maupin
 

Joe, that is so interesting about your being the writer for a radio series that was broadcast in 1978.  I think your post is just the sort of material that Ryan said he would like to publish from members of our group in Old Radio Times.  He wrote that in his "Wistful Vistas" column in the most recent issue.

Your account is interesting, provides new information, has good details and is of historical significance.  Perhaps Ryan will see it and include part or all of it in the March/April issue.

Out of curiosity, where was radio station KPFK located, and is it still in operation?

Thank you for sharing all this great information.

Larry Maupin 

-----------------------------------------

From: "Joseph K Adams"
To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday March 10 2021 1:58:12PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions

I was going through the OTRR Library Additions and was surprised to find Bertha and Karl listed.

It made me laugh. I was the writer for this series form 1978 and broadcast through a little network of non-commercial stations around the country. 

The title of the series is "Bertha And..." It was a parody of radio soap operas using the Tuesday and Thursday episodes of a structure that had three stories rotating as an actual formula from soap operas with:

MONDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with recaps
TUESDAY - Storylines A and B
WEDNESDAY - Storylines B and C
THURSDAY - Storylines C and A
FRIDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with cliffhangers

With the big events happening on Monday and Friday.

Each episode was supposed to have a different name. "Bertha and Bernie," "Bertha and Mukluk," "Bertha and Ivan," and so on. But at one point we came up with the idea of Bertha being kidnapped and telling the stories of one or more husbands to see if it was the information Karl needed. "Bertha and Karl" was the name for five or six episodes, but it was followed with Bertha and the Revolution, Bertha and Ivan, Bertha and CIA, and Bertha and Miles (the series finale). 

Only 24 episodes were produced, the first eight of which appeared on the KPFK short live "Dead Air" comedy series and starring Ruth Buell (aka Uncle Ruthie, a popular show host for kids on the weekend) as Bertha. We decided to go with the network we had put together and Ruth left the show, but Michelle Leschi stepped in and proved an even better Bertha. We had a lot of fun and actual have a (poor) video tape of the final rehearsal session for the series. The crew continued to meet for cast parties for several months, including a bowling party, a birthday party for a cast member, and just good old, no-reason to get together other than we wanted to. 

"Bertha And.." was the background for another series called "Hope Street," part of the NewRadio series we attempted to launch at the point where Mount St. Helens blew up. It's a long story, but Mount St. Helens destroyed NewRadio. Oh well.

I love the idea of our shows winding up with OTRR - this is an organization I support wherever I can. I'd like it even better if we could get the name listed properly. 

(I recently uncovered a couple more episodes of "Bertha And..." and will make them available to OTRR.)  
--

-------------------------------------------
Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets


--
Larry Maupin


Richard Davenport
 

According to downloadthemall there are 8,375 files in total.  Nice addition guys!!
Well I guess I known what I'm doing for the next few days..

Download them all is a neat little add on that allows me to mass grab any type of file I am seeking.  You just go to the site you want to get from and click on the icon and set the parameter and it will find and select all of that type.  You then just click download and sit back and watch them roll in. 

Rick

Labor ipse voluptas


On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 1:39:17 PM CST, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:


Joe, that is so interesting about your being the writer for a radio series that was broadcast in 1978.  I think your post is just the sort of material that Ryan said he would like to publish from members of our group in Old Radio Times.  He wrote that in his "Wistful Vistas" column in the most recent issue.

Your account is interesting, provides new information, has good details and is of historical significance.  Perhaps Ryan will see it and include part or all of it in the March/April issue.

Out of curiosity, where was radio station KPFK located, and is it still in operation?

Thank you for sharing all this great information.

Larry Maupin 

-----------------------------------------

From: "Joseph K Adams"
To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday March 10 2021 1:58:12PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions

I was going through the OTRR Library Additions and was surprised to find Bertha and Karl listed.

It made me laugh. I was the writer for this series form 1978 and broadcast through a little network of non-commercial stations around the country. 

The title of the series is "Bertha And..." It was a parody of radio soap operas using the Tuesday and Thursday episodes of a structure that had three stories rotating as an actual formula from soap operas with:

MONDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with recaps
TUESDAY - Storylines A and B
WEDNESDAY - Storylines B and C
THURSDAY - Storylines C and A
FRIDAY - Storylines A, B, and C, with cliffhangers

With the big events happening on Monday and Friday.

Each episode was supposed to have a different name. "Bertha and Bernie," "Bertha and Mukluk," "Bertha and Ivan," and so on. But at one point we came up with the idea of Bertha being kidnapped and telling the stories of one or more husbands to see if it was the information Karl needed. "Bertha and Karl" was the name for five or six episodes, but it was followed with Bertha and the Revolution, Bertha and Ivan, Bertha and CIA, and Bertha and Miles (the series finale). 

Only 24 episodes were produced, the first eight of which appeared on the KPFK short live "Dead Air" comedy series and starring Ruth Buell (aka Uncle Ruthie, a popular show host for kids on the weekend) as Bertha. We decided to go with the network we had put together and Ruth left the show, but Michelle Leschi stepped in and proved an even better Bertha. We had a lot of fun and actual have a (poor) video tape of the final rehearsal session for the series. The crew continued to meet for cast parties for several months, including a bowling party, a birthday party for a cast member, and just good old, no-reason to get together other than we wanted to. 

"Bertha And.." was the background for another series called "Hope Street," part of the NewRadio series we attempted to launch at the point where Mount St. Helens blew up. It's a long story, but Mount St. Helens destroyed NewRadio. Oh well.

I love the idea of our shows winding up with OTRR - this is an organization I support wherever I can. I'd like it even better if we could get the name listed properly. 

(I recently uncovered a couple more episodes of "Bertha And..." and will make them available to OTRR.)  
--

-------------------------------------------
Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets


--
Larry Maupin


Max Schmid
 

Yes, KPFK is still limping along, like all the other Pacifca Network stations. It is located in Los Angeles. WBAI, where I work, is in NYC, currently in Brooklyn with transmitter in Manhattan.


B. J. Watkins
 

Yes, and old time radio is limping along with it. Bobb Lynes and I host Don't Touch That Dial the first Monday midnight of every month, 90.7 FM, streaming at kpfk.org and archived for 60 days at
https://archive.kpfk.org/ We haven't been live in studio since last March. We record it and send it through the cloud. Lately there's been a lot of fundraising. Max is familiar with that!



From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Max Schmid <sheptapes@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:54 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions
 
Yes, KPFK is still limping along, like all the other Pacifca Network stations. It is located in Los Angeles. WBAI, where I work, is in NYC, currently in Brooklyn with transmitter in Manhattan.


Max Schmid
 

And Max usually makes the most money for the station on any given Sunday! I have great listeners!

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 5:23 PM B. J. Watkins <kinseyfan@...> wrote:
Yes, and old time radio is limping along with it. Bobb Lynes and I host Don't Touch That Dial the first Monday midnight of every month, 90.7 FM, streaming at kpfk.org and archived for 60 days at
https://archive.kpfk.org/ We haven't been live in studio since last March. We record it and send it through the cloud. Lately there's been a lot of fundraising. Max is familiar with that!



From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Max Schmid <sheptapes@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:54 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions
 
Yes, KPFK is still limping along, like all the other Pacifca Network stations. It is located in Los Angeles. WBAI, where I work, is in NYC, currently in Brooklyn with transmitter in Manhattan.


John
 

For a moment I was so excited - Many new episodes of Lights Out that previously did not exist.  

I believe almost all these episodes are from the second run of Lights Out and not the dates listed.  Some have Ionized Yeast as the sponsor, others refer to wartime while a few have file size and times similar to the second run.  I have not finished checking them all, but only two episodes are known to exist according to Hickerson's great book of all circulating shows - 3/23/38 and 3/30/38.  The 3/23 episode refers to the 4th anniversary of broadcast and stars Boris Karloff .  "The Dream" seems to be the real deal while the 3/30 episode is sponsored by Ionized Yeast while the 3/30/38 show should have been sustaining.  One is better than none!            

Money Money Money8/5/193629:45Library File
Author And The Thing9/9/193623:11Library File
The Sea9/16/193622:12Library File
The Fast One10/14/193622:18Library File
Nobody Died12/9/193627:42Library File
Poltergeist12/16/193626:00Library File
Sakhalin3/3/193730:17Library File
A Day At The Dentist3/10/193719:51Library File
State Executioner3/17/193722:03Library File
The Little People4/14/193730:31Library File
Until Dead5/26/193728:13Library File
The Meteor Man6/16/193723:23Library File
Happy Ending6/23/193724:52Library File
Lord Marleys Ghost7/14/193729:00Library File
Little Old Lady11/17/193729:28Library File
The Dark12/29/193707:22Library File
Oxychloride X1/26/193823:42Library File
Murder Castle2/16/193826:09Library File
Super Feature3/16/193826:42Library File
The Dream3/23/193829:55Library File
Valse Triste3/30/193829:02Library File
Spider6/8/193822:28Library File

John
 


On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Paul Kornman via groups.io <pkornman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The OTRR Library (https://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html) has just added an additional 8500 files tied to episodes that previously had no sound file.


Paul Kornman
 

I'll take whatever corrections you can provide.

 - Paul


bob_pedersen@...
 

Paul, here are two:
 
“Afrs 0008 Blondie – Dagwood’s Challenge 6/18/1944,” is actually “Blondie’s Polar Bear” from May 8, 1945.
 
“Afrs 0019 Blondie – The Secret Poker Game 8/18/1944,” is actually “Blondie Cracks an Alibi” from May 24, 1943.
 
Contemporary newspaper descriptions confirm the shows.
 
Title Date Time Link
Afrs 0008 Blondie - Dagwoods Challenge 6/18/1944 29:45 Library File
Afrs 0019 Blondie - The Secret Poker Game 8/18/1944 2
 
 
From: Paul Kornman via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2021 4:37 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions
 
I'll take whatever corrections you can provide.

- Paul

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Joseph K Adams
 

KPFK is 90.7 in Los Angeles. It is part of the Pacifica network with stations in NYC, Houston, San Francisco, and Washington DC and has a significant network of affiliates. 

In 1972, at the age of 21, I showed up to help a fundraiser dubbed the "Marathon" which was centered on OTR by collector Jay Lacey. Lacey's tapes often had sound problems to prevent listeners from recording off the air. OTR brought me in, though I had been listening for about a decade. It was also the home station for the Firesign Theater and commentator Elliot Mince. In those days they prided themselves on the spectrum of political and social arenas. Today it is much more restricted to more "left-wing" positions. The after-midnight show, "Something's Happening," still includes OTR periodically for the overnight audience. 

We had fun with satirical, comedy, dramatic, and documentary productions. Some of which were genuinely horrible, and some were legitimately respectable. 

--

-------------------------------------------
Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets


Joseph K Adams
 

Barbara, your post is much appreciated. When does Don't Touch That Dial air?

You and Bobb supplied me with hours and hours of listening pleasure, exposure to shows of which I had never heard, and I particularly miss your opening hour of serials - Jack Armstrong and Captain Midnight, every week, played in order.  

--

-------------------------------------------
Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets


Randy Watts
 

Regarding the March, 2021 OTRR Library additions, seven programs have been filed incorrectly.

They are listed under BOB HOPE - THE BOB HOPE SHOW

These seven are not Bob Hope shows.

They are actually from the series THE FORD V-8 REVUE, and feature Bob Crosby and His Orchestra.

The seven misfiled programs are:

First Tune Is It True What They Saw About Dixie

First Tune Its You I'm Talking About Baby

First Tune I've Got Plenty Of Nothing

First Tune Muskrat Ramble

First Tune Oh My Goodness

First Tune Therell Be Some Changes Made

First Tune Troubles And Trumpets


adam
 

 

Thanks, thanks for posting these. I found a few new programs, particularly the music. I did notice a few errors.

 

First, the Rogue’s Gallery episodes lead to a  broken link. I’m not certain if that’s an error or if those were already flagged as duplicate.

 

Second, regarding Christopher London, the one episode, “Price of Sugar” is an existing episode and the one “with James Gleason” isn’t Christopher London.

 

Third,  Box 13 had 52 episodes, they’re all in circulation and all the titles listed here are are familiar alternate titles of episodes.

 

Four, Dike Easter is commonly spelled Dyke Easter. It’s a circulating episode , but it doesn’t appear to be in the library.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Randy Watts via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 11:52 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Library additions

 

Regarding the March, 2021 OTRR Library additions, seven programs have been filed incorrectly.

 

They are listed under BOB HOPE - THE BOB HOPE SHOW

 

These seven are not Bob Hope shows.

 

They are actually from the series THE FORD V-8 REVUE, and feature Bob Crosby and His Orchestra.

 

The seven misfiled programs are:

 

First Tune Is It True What They Saw About Dixie

 

First Tune Its You I'm Talking About Baby

 

First Tune I've Got Plenty Of Nothing

 

First Tune Muskrat Ramble

 

First Tune Oh My Goodness

 

First Tune Therell Be Some Changes Made

 

First Tune Troubles And Trumpets