An Invitation To All Members

Larry Maupin

Happy Saturday to everyone.

I will be editing the June issue of Radio Recall, the newsletter of the Metropolitan Washington Old-Time Radio Club, and would like to invite every member of this group to send me a message telling me what your single favorite old-time radio episode is.

The message will need to include the following: (1) The title of the episode; (2) the name of the series to which it belongs; (3) the date that the episode was broadcast; (4) a paragraph describing why it is your favorite episode; (5) your name and (optional) the city and state in which you now reside.

A sample: "The Most Famous Man in the World" from The Mysterious Traveler (November 20, 1951) or (11/20/51) if you prefer.  Then the paragraph, then your name and residence information.  Don't worry about the italics: I will put them in if you don't.

I have room for about 12 of these in the June issue, so will publish the first 12 that are submitted and save the rest for the next issue.  If you submit one, I promise that it will be published as soon as possible and you will see your name in print as a contributor.

You can post the message here or send it to me personally at lmaupin@... if you prefer.

pygar two

Simple. Lum and Abner, Robert Blevins is Killed 06-04-42. It gives me a feel for what it must have been like back then. It starts off nice and sweet, as they always do, then surprises you by turning dark... then angry!

Robert Horton, KY

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, 10:58:16 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

[...]
You can post the message here or send it to me personally at lmaupin@columbus.rr.com if you prefer.

Thank you Robert.  This provides all the information I asked for, and it becomes the first one on my list for inclusion in the June issue of Radio Recall.

Readers might want to hear the episode because of your hint that it turns dark, then angry.  The title even suggests murder.

Great post.

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, 10:58:16 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

BrianWest2@...

Hi Larry,

Probably my favorite single episode of any OTR show is "Three Skelton Key" from the show "Escape" starring Vincent Price. I know it had several dates, but I don't know any of them. For me its one of the scariest shows that I ever heard. I loved the narration, the buildup to the attack and the soundtrack of the rats running up the rocks to the lighthouse and trying to get in. Price is terrific as one of the lighthouse keepers expressing what its like to be couped up for long periods of time. Their is tension throughout the episode until you get a sigh of relief at the end. Its one of the best shows of its genre.

Brian West
West Hartford, CT

PS my other favorite show would be any Jack Benny Christmas episode

[...]

Scott Mahan

I have two. Hard to pick between.

“Very Unimportant Person”, episode 77 of  Quiet Please, 48/12/05

“Miracle For Christmas” 6th broadcast, from Grand Central Station 49/12/24

I guess I like the first one just a little better than the second, because of the question mark ending.

In both cases, I just enjoy the idea that God could be a regular sort of guy.

                Don’t know why that impressed me, it just did.

There are lots of other series that I like way better, but I like these two episodes.

[...]

adam

The Nick Shurn Matter (December 19-23, 1955)

This story manages to balance being both a detective story and Christmas classic. Bob Bailey is great as Johnny managing to alternate between being the hard-nosed investigator and the type of guy who’s kind to old women and young girls alike. The last part of the fourth episode features some of the best sound design you’ll hear on any program and the finale has some of the best character work in the entire run of the series. This is a story that’s got something for everyone and can be listened to all year round, but is extra-special at Christmastime.

Adam Graham-Boise, Idaho

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

peterjaybird@...

On May 10th, CBS presented an Amos 'n Andy Show entitled "The Connecticut Cabin".  The Kingfish finds himself burdened with a worthless, run-down shack, and needs to finds someone to pawn it off on. In walks Andy, who just happens to be looking for the perfect vacation spot!  "Hole in the roof?  That's to allow moonlight in"!

This remains my favorite program b/c it was my first exposure to old time radio.  The writers and actors kept Amos 'n Andy fresh over 30 years.

Pete

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, 03:01:56 PM EDT, adam <adam@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Hingson

Hi Larry,

Sorry, but I must give you two.

First, Suspense, The House in Cypress Canyon, December 5 1946 staring Robert Taylor and Howard Duff.

As much as I like "Three Skelton Key" I think this one is scarier as it leaves a bit more to the imagination. The end also has a wonderful twist that makes this more terrifying. It is a must hear.

My second favorite show is Command Performance, Dick Tracy in B Flat or for goodness sakes is he ever going to Mary Tess Trueheart?, February 15, 1945, staring an bunch of the most suspicious characters ever to appear on Radio. They include, Bing (Dick Tracy) Crosby, Bob (Flat Top) Hope, Dina (Tess Trueheart) Shore, Jimmy (The Mole), Durante, Frank (Shaky) Sinatra, and many others.

Each week Command Performance featured radio stars in shows just for our “men and women overseas”. I am not aware that the show ever was aired during the “golden days of radio”, but when I did radio in the late 60s and 70s, and plan to do so on the net again, this will and was always one of the shows I featured. I have NEVER heard a funnier program.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Thank you Brian.  I will look up the date and use the one that seems the most credible if I find more than one.  Many people would no doubt agree with you that it is one of "Escape's" best and most famous episodes.

Your paragraph is very descriptive and will be enjoyable to readers.  Any story set in a lonely lighthouse draws immediate interest, and I think Vincent Price was one of old-time radio's real stars.

I have your contribution slotted as number three for the June issue of Radio Recall.

[...]

Hi Scott.  I will list both of your favorites, and your paragraph is really interesting because it explains what the two episodes have in common.  So those shows are now slated as the 4th and 5th that will be listed in the June issue.

I have heard "Miracle for Christmas" but not "Very Unimportant Person."  Your contribution makes me want to listen to it, and I think it will have the same effect on readers of Radio Recall.

[...]

11/15/49 was the original broadcast. Spelling it correctly would be good too. And it is a super-good show.

Escape 491115 097 Three Skeleton Key

Escape 500317 114 Three Skeleton Key

Escape 530809 208 Three Skeleton Key

[...]

Wild West Designs

"Skeleton Bay"
Inner Sanctum Mysteries
2-5-46

One of my all time favorite IS shows.  The sound effects of the storm when the murder takes place (just in general of the "bay", it really made me think that I was there), the sense of the frantic action of the fight.  All the way leading up to the denouement, it seemed to me that the pacing was spot on. "Skeleton Bay, Skeleton Bay, Skeleton Bay...."

Evan West
Nashville TN

---

Evan West

otrDBPlayer programs using Qt framework

On 2021-04-03 03:04 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:

[...]

Hi Adam.  I'm glad to have an episode of YTJD to add to the list (it will be number 6).  There is so much to like about that series, from the opening music in each episode to the five-part story lines to the great acting of Bob Bailey and others who played the role of Johnny.

Your paragraph is perfect, and will be a pleasure for subscribers of the newsletter to read.

[...]

Hi Pete.  You make a good case for the excellence of Amos 'n Andy, and your paragraph has some really good details.  Will you please send me the broadcast date if you know it?  I will publish everything in your post in the June issue, but need a date for the episode.

Thank you.

[...]

Hi Michael,

Thank you for another favorite Suspense episode.  I have heard "The House in Cypress Canyon" and agree that it is one of the many great shows in that series.  It's also good to be able to include a Command Performance episode.  So your two will be numbers 8 and 9 on the list.

Your prose is excellent, and I have never read anything written with this much enthusiasm about Command Performance.  Readers of the newsletter who see your sentence that includes "starring a bunch of the most suspicious characters ever to appear on Radio" will probably want to listen to "Dick Tracy in B Flat" and see how many good laughs they get out of it.

[...]

Thank you Scott for supplying the original broadcast date of the episode and for the spelling correction.  These will be incorporated into Brian's entry in the June issue of the newsletter.

[...]

Hi Evan.  I am so glad to have an episode of Inner Sanctum Mysteries posted as your favorite.  The "squeaking door" opening is now immortal, and Raymond was so funny as host without detracting from the scariness of many of the shows.  This episode is now number 10 on the list, and I will print your very descriptive paragraph in the June issue of Radio Recall.

On 2021-04-03 03:04 PM, Larry Maupin wrote:

[...]

I really thought about sending “The Crystal Lake Matter”.

It was so 1950’s and so Bob Bailey and from the week after I was born.

but, since it was during the 5-part-episodes period then it was 5 episodes, not 1, so I didn’t go there.

But YTJD is the best show ever.

The Dillinger episode of Calling All Cars was another one I considered.

I remember thinking the first time I heard it, “Oh my God, this was news!”.

There are several CAC’s like that but that was the best one.

[...]

I live but to be trivial.  J