To All Members Who Have Submitted Favorite Episodes To Me

Larry Maupin

Greetings to everyone.  The following is a list of everyone who has sent in a favorite episode so far.  There are 15 favorite episodes, and that is enough for a really nice column in the June issue of Radio Recall.  I am posting the list for three reasons.  One is that if you have submitted a favorite episode to me and your name is not on the list, please send it again and I will include it in the column.  The second is that I am placing an asterisk before the name of each person who has not given me his or her city and state of current residence so that you can send that information if you want it to be included with your name as a contributor to the June issue.  The third is that I would like to encourage other members to send me a description of their favorite episodes because your submissions are a lot of fun for everyone else to read and they will appear soon in one OTR newsletter or another.

Here is the list:

* Robert Horton, Kentucky
John Enrietto of Gurney, Illinois
Brian West of West Hartford, Connecticut
* Scott Mahan
Adam Graham of Boise, Idaho
* Pete Cavallo
* Michael Hingson
Evan West of Nashville, Tennessee
* Scott Galley
*Walden Hughes
* Joe Webb
* Jay in Kentucky 

Please note that your address is not a requirement, but I do think that readers are always interested in knowing where contributors live.

Thank you all for your participation.

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

peterjaybird@...

Hi Larry,

You can place me in New Haven, CT.

On a different note, David sent me a set of new material for verification. It includes 9 episodes of Big Sister (#008 - #014), and David suggests that these were 1965 rebroadcasts. But there's nothing in the audio that substantiates that they are not from the original series.

I know that you were involved with this show, so I'm wondering if you can help.  Do you have a source that contains 1965 radio logs?  The dates on this 1965  label scan appear to show 3/20 and 3/21 of 1967 (a Monday & Tuesday).

Cheers,

Pete

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:56:15 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Greetings to everyone.  The following is a list of everyone who has sent in a favorite episode so far.  There are 15 favorite episodes, and that is enough for a really nice column in the June issue of Radio Recall.  I am posting the list for three reasons.  One is that if you have submitted a favorite episode to me and your name is not on the list, please send it again and I will include it in the column.  The second is that I am placing an asterisk before the name of each person who has not given me his or her city and state of current residence so that you can send that information if you want it to be included with your name as a contributor to the June issue.  The third is that I would like to encourage other members to send me a description of their favorite episodes because your submissions are a lot of fun for everyone else to read and they will appear soon in one OTR newsletter or another.

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan
* Pete Cavallo
* Michael Hingson
* Scott Galley
*Walden Hughes
* Joe Webb
* Jay in Kentucky 

Please note that your address is not a requirement, but I do think that readers are always interested in knowing where contributors live.

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

Hi Larry,

I live in Victorville, California hi up on the Mojave desert.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 5:56 AM
To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] To All Members Who Have Submitted Favorite Episodes To Me

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Pete,

Thank you for sending your address, which I have now added to the list.  I wrote an article entitled "The 1965 Revival of Old-Time Radio" which appeared in the January/February issue of Old Radio Times.  It has a lot of information about Big Sister, including some radio logs.  Sources for the article, including at least one newspaper account and a press release, indicate that the episodes of Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family were based on new scripts that had been updated and modernized to reflect changes in the social and cultural climate since 1960.

In listening to 12 episodes of each serial and taking notes for the article, I found that to be true and devoted part of the article to exploring those changes.  David is correct.  I obtained them from Ted Davenport of Radio Memories, who I believe digitized them from their original source.  He must have had good material to work with because the audio quality of most of them is almost perfect. 

That is interesting about the label scan, but I can't explain it except that some of our researchers posted messages that these episodes of Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family continued to be aired over some stations until 1969.  Because the Purchasing Group is a member of Ted's Buyer's Group it should have received at least the 12 episodes of each serial that I have and perhaps more.  Unfortunately the episodes have all been stripped of commercials and (I think) music, which makes them less valuable to a collector than if they had been preserved in their entirety.

I hope this information is useful to you, or at least interesting.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 10:33:36AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] To All Members Who Have Submitted Favorite Episodes To Me

Hi Larry,

You can place me in New Haven, CT.

On a different note, David sent me a set of new material for verification. It includes 9 episodes of Big Sister (#008 - #014), and David suggests that these were 1965 rebroadcasts. But there's nothing in the audio that substantiates that they are not from the original series.

I know that you were involved with this show, so I'm wondering if you can help.  Do you have a source that contains 1965 radio logs?  The dates on this 1965  label scan appear to show 3/20 and 3/21 of 1967 (a Monday & Tuesday).

Cheers,

Pete

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 08:56:15 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan
* Pete Cavallo
* Michael Hingson
* Scott Galley
*Walden Hughes
* Joe Webb
* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Michael,

Thank you for providing the information, and I have now added it to the list.  I think where you live is pretty cool, and from watching so much television I even know how to pronounce "Mohave."

Best regards,

Larry

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 11:02:15AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] To All Members Who Have Submitted Favorite Episodes To Me

Hi Larry,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

To: 'Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] To All Members Who Have Submitted Favorite Episodes To Me

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

Definitely cool in the winter. We now are warming up.

Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 9:00 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Hi Michael,

Thank you for providing the information, and I have now added it to the list.  I think where you live is pretty cool, and from watching so much television I even know how to pronounce "Mohave."

Best regards,

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 11:02:15AM

Hi Larry,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Scott Mahan

Scott Mahan, Fort Worth, Texas

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 7:56 AM

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Paul

Great burgers at Emma Jean's on Route 66 in Victorville. It's the kind of place that you would expect a rattling speaker in the background playing the local AM station.

Larry,

For me you just about can't beat Orson Wells and the Mercury Theatre on the Air 1938 "War of the Worlds" broadcast. I have always enjoyed anything by Orson Wells and was an H. G. Wells fan before I got into OTR. This broadcast definitely made a big impact on radio drama. Broadcast on Halloween Sunday Oct 30, 1938. I also enjoy the Dr Gideon Fell series from the BBC.

Paul Fullmer, Mackay Idaho

On 4/5/2021 9:02 AM, Michael Hingson wrote:

Hi Larry,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Walden Hughes

Hi Larry,

Walden Hughes lives in Costa Mesa, CA

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Maupin

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Scott.  I just added that information to the list.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 12:24:54PM

Scott Mahan, Fort Worth, Texas

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 7:56 AM

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

peterjaybird@...

Thanks for the help, Larry.  It's next to impossible to find radio logs in archived newspapers by the mid-60's, but I'm not giving up, just yet.

Pete

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 01:57:13 PM EDT, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Maupin

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Paul.  I'm glad to have a Mercury Theater show on the list of favorite episodes submitted by group members.  Also, thank you for including your location.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 12:57:22PM

Great burgers at Emma Jean's on Route 66 in Victorville. It's the kind of place that you would expect a rattling speaker in the background playing the local AM station.

Larry,

For me you just about can't beat Orson Wells and the Mercury Theatre on the Air 1938 "War of the Worlds" broadcast. I have always enjoyed anything by Orson Wells and was an H. G. Wells fan before I got into OTR. This broadcast definitely made a big impact on radio drama. Broadcast on Halloween Sunday Oct 30, 1938. I also enjoy the Dr Gideon Fell series from the BBC.

Hi Larry,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Hi Walden,

Thank you for the information, and I have just added it to the list.

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 1:57:14PM

Hi Larry,

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Pete, you are welcome but I need to correct an error in my earlier reply to you today.  It is true that there are some radio logs from 1965 in the article in the January/February issue of Old Radio Times, and if you read it you may find it helpful.

However, when I stated the the Big Sister and Pepper Young's Family episodes released in 1965 were based on new scripts that was not correct.  I was thinking of the 1975 radio revival which featured some entirely new programs with original scripts.  I had already heard most if not all of the Pepper Young episodes that I listened to before writing the article, and most of the Big Sister shows.  I did not detect any changes at all from the OTR era episodes of those two serials except that those released by Ted Davenport to his Buyer's Group have much better audio quality than some of the old mp3 files that dealers have offered for many years.

I apologize for the error and hope this correction will be in time to ward off any disappointment you might have had in listening to the episodes and expecting new scripts.

Larry

To: "main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io", "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Monday April 5 2021 2:04:34PM

Thanks for the help, Larry.  It's next to impossible to find radio logs in archived newspapers by the mid-60's, but I'm not giving up, just yet.

Pete

On Monday, April 5, 2021, 01:57:13 PM EDT, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Michael Hingson

I didn’t hear of Emma Jean’s before you mentioned it. I now have gotten the scoop from some other residents. We have lived here only four and a third years although I grew up in Palmdale. When I was growing up Victorville was even much smaller than Palmdale. Now, Victorville has a population of over 120,000. Go figure.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 9:57 AM

Larry,

Hi Larry,

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Here is the list:

* Scott Mahan

* Pete Cavallo

* Michael Hingson

* Scott Galley

*Walden Hughes

* Joe Webb

* Jay in Kentucky 

Larry 

--
Larry Maupin

jackies@tularosa.net

Larry:

My favorite Dragnet show is the Christmas Show with the little boy taking the baby Jesus from the Nativity at the Catholic Church where his family attended. I don't know what number it it but it always made me feel good when I listen to it It reminds me of my Grandfather who was a police officer and how he would treat people.

Jackie Schlageter
Oscuro Township New Mexico

Larry Maupin

Jackie:

That sounds like a good episode to listen to at Christmas time.  Oscuro Township New Mexico sounds so Old West it makes me think of Lonesome Dove.  Thank you for sharing that information.

Larry

To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Tuesday April 6 2021 3:06:13PM

Larry:

My favorite Dragnet show is the Christmas Show with the little boy
taking the baby Jesus from the Nativity at the Catholic Church where his
family attended. I don't know what number it it but it always made me
feel good when I listen to it It reminds me of my Grandfather who was a
police officer and how he would treat people.

Jackie Schlageter

--
Larry Maupin

John

I recall that episode clearly and listened to it in the past 6 months. It is a great episode and I would surely second the nomination.
Very different for Dragnet and very well written
John Brewer

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
Jackie:

That sounds like a good episode to listen to at Christmas time.  Oscuro Township New Mexico sounds so Old West it makes me think of Lonesome Dove.  Thank you for sharing that information.

Larry

Cc:

Larry:

Jackie Schlageter

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

John, thank you for your comment.  It gives me a chance to state that I have all the favorite episodes I need now for the column in the June issue of Radio Recall.

But if I receive more nominations (I like your word) that meet the requirements (episode title and date, the name of the series and a paragraph explaining why you like it so much, plus your name and place of residence) I will begin stockpiling them right now for future issues.

Just one more note.  I don't care for Christmas shows or for episodes that almost everybody has already heard.  We have had discussions before about favorite episodes on this message board, and the Christmas shows mentioned seem to be the same ones over and over.

Best regards,

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Tuesday April 6 2021 3:30:47PM

I recall that episode clearly and listened to it in the past 6 months. It is a great episode and I would surely second the nomination.
Very different for Dragnet and very well written
John Brewer

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 3:19 PM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
Jackie:

Larry

Cc:

Larry:

Jackie Schlageter

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin