Sky Pilot

not.serious@comcast.net

Hello Researchers,

Has anyone heard of a program called Sky Pilot? It appears to have been a local creation of KPRC radio, in Houston, in the '40s, back when it was an NBC affiliate. I've seen the transcriptions, glass based and laminate all over the container for many of the discs.

Nothing turned up online and no one at the library had any info.

Just thought someone might have heard of it. I haven't looked in the local newspapers of the era.

Thanks,

Joe Salerno

jackies@tularosa.net

Hi Joe"

In the 90's we were able to get a California Station where we lived at that time and I remember them playing that occasionally. They only played a couple a couple programs every Saturday night and they rotated what they played so there were not of a lot repeat programs. I don't know if they played them at other times because we were only able to get them at night on Saturday.
I don't know if this helps you any but that was the program that got my son hooked on OTR.

Jackie

Hello Researchers,

Has anyone heard of a program called Sky Pilot? It appears to have
been a local creation of KPRC radio, in Houston, in the '40s, back
when it was an NBC affiliate. I've seen the transcriptions, glass
based and laminate all over the container for many of the discs.
Nothing turned up online and no one at the library had any info.
Just thought someone might have heard of it. I haven't looked in the
local newspapers of the era.
Thanks,
Joe Salerno

Jim Jones

Did a quick check of Sky Pilot. There are a lot of articles about a popular evangelist during the 1940's known as "Sky Pilot".

Here is a clipping from the Amarillo Daily News dated 44.06.21.
Amarillo-Daily-News-Jun 21, 1944-p-11

I do not know it this is the show you are looking for or not.
Given the time slot it might be a morning devotional.

jj

Has anyone heard of a program called Sky Pilot? It appears to have been
a local creation of KPRC radio, in Houston, in the '40s, back when it
was an NBC affiliate. I've seen the transcriptions, glass based and
laminate all over the container for many of the discs.

Nothing turned up online and no one at the library had any info.

Just thought someone might have heard of it. I haven't looked in the
local newspapers of the era.

Thanks,

Joe Salerno

Steve Arndt

Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

Richard Davenport

If possible I’d like to get more info on sky pilot., first / last day of broadcast.  When it was broadcast , date/time and the actors, directors etc .  If anyone has this I can update my master library reference record on all shows.

Rick

On Apr 28, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Steve Arndt via groups.io <treefity35063@...> wrote:

Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

not.serious@comcast.net

So the recordings were made for what purpose? possibly for replay at a different time of the day?

joe salerno

On 4/28/2021 12:53 PM, Steve Arndt via groups.io wrote:
Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

Ryan Ellett

These old-time religious programs have not been very popular through the history of the hobby but I suspect it's really a wide-open field for an aspiring researcher to make a big contribution to the field. I can't imagine how many  runs of records and scripts from these old programs are hidden and forgotten in denomination and ministry libraries and individual attics and basements. I attend a Mennonite church and discovered a radio program (I think a drama) done by a Mennonite committee from the late 1940s-early 1950s if I remember correctly. I haven't looked for audio but I know the scripts survive in a denominational building in central Kansas. It's been on my radar for ten years or so to go look at them.

On Thursday, April 29, 2021, 06:22:48 PM CDT, not.serious@... <not.serious@...> wrote:

So the recordings were made for what purpose? possibly for replay at a different time of the day?

joe salerno

On 4/28/2021 12:53 PM, Steve Arndt via groups.io wrote:
Yes, 'Sky Pilot' on KPRC in Houston was a religious program featuring morning devotions, poetry and organ music.  It was presented by Charles C. Hard of Radio Religious Activities, Inc.  The 15-minute program debuted sometime around 1933 and aired daily for at least 20 years.  Charles C. Hard died in 1961.

The Amarillo 'Sky Pilot' on KGNC was another religious program, and was hosted by a Rev. H. A. Somerville.  I do not believe he was associated with Charles C. Hard or Radio Religious Activities, Inc.

Walden Hughes

The OFRH has over 500 broadcast  preserve many from private  collectors.  Read Burgan is one of the true historian in this field.  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Walden, what is the OFRH?

Ryan

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Walden Hughes wrote:

The OFRH has over 500 broadcast  preserve many from private  collectors.  Read Burgan is one of the true historian in this field.  Take care,

Walden

Larry Gassman

Old Fashioned Revival Hour.

Larry