Windows icon help needed - I can't figure it out

David Oxford

Could someone knowledgeable with windows ( and I’m using Windows 7 but can get to Windows 10 if needed) contact me about how to change an icon image to a custom image.

Specifically, I want to change some Flac, MP3, WAV, AIFF files from their generic icon format to a custom format that I’m using on my iMac. I want to go from these flac icons:

to these icons:

I want to do this for RAW Flac and Cleaned Flac, and Mp3s.  So, I need to change just the flac or mp3 icons in selected folders, not all flac or mp3 files on the hard drive.

Can this be done? Will the burned or downloaded set be viewable in Windows like I want it to be?

Appreciate any help.

David Oxford

Brian Kavanaugh

Hi David,

I don't think you can embed an icon for those file formats and have it used by Windows. It'll do that for executables, but for files like that it uses the icon of the application associated with opening it.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 7:28 AM David Oxford <deojao@...> wrote:
Could someone knowledgeable with windows ( and I’m using Windows 7 but can get to Windows 10 if needed) contact me about how to change an icon image to a custom image.

Specifically, I want to change some Flac, MP3, WAV, AIFF files from their generic icon format to a custom format that I’m using on my iMac. I want to go from these flac icons:

to these icons:

I want to do this for RAW Flac and Cleaned Flac, and Mp3s.  So, I need to change just the flac or mp3 icons in selected folders, not all flac or mp3 files on the hard drive.

Can this be done? Will the burned or downloaded set be viewable in Windows like I want it to be?

Appreciate any help.

David Oxford

Jim Jones

Dave
Have you ever tagged a file? It is a very simple process. When you tag a show, it allows you to update the displayed icons, genre, the title, author..... Tagging allows you to determine the way a show or file is displayed on your specific player. The icon displayed is merely a small image file saved to a specific file or group of files. It is embedded into the file itself. I tag my shows so that the titles come up under Author on my Itouch. There are numerous programs you can use. I have used Mp3tag for years. It will work on all versions of Windows.  I believe it is probably a free download. Here is a sample. I retagged ILAdv last week.

 I hope this helps. If you need more specific information, I will gladly walk you through the process.

JJ

Wild West Designs

If you have changed the cover art metadata of the file to the custom picture and you make sure that the picture file goes along with audio file in the same relative location within the file hierarchy, it should just display the picture regardless of the OS.  Some programs embed the cover art into the metadata, some do not and only link that info.

Depending on what you used to handle that metadata would determine what would would need to be done to have that go from one computer to the next.  It's not so much an OS thing, but how the embedding the metadata info into the file.  At least based on my experience.

I would suggest looking for a program that allows for bulk changing metadata though if you are wanting to be selective in what files get what picture, but not all the files.

I use FFMPEG, either in other programs, or I have written scripts/programs for my separate install of just FFMPEG, but as that is a full audio/video editing/playback library, not something that I would suggest for someone that just wants a quick metadata operation like that.  iTunes (at least when I last used it, but that's been going on a decade now) used to embed that information in the audio file.  While say a player like VLC just linked to the file (unless there was a different operation to make it permanent, may be possible, I'm not an expert in VLC, but VLC does use FFMPEG under the hood, so it could very well be possible, just depends on if they exposed that functionality or not).

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of April 2nd 2021

On 2021-05-21 07:28 AM, David Oxford wrote:

Could someone knowledgeable with windows ( and I'm using Windows 7 but can get to Windows 10 if needed) contact me about how to change an icon image to a custom image.

Specifically, I want to change some Flac, MP3, WAV, AIFF files from their generic icon format to a custom format that I'm using on my iMac. I want to go from these flac icons:

to these icons:

I want to do this for RAW Flac and Cleaned Flac, and Mp3s.  So, I need to change just the flac or mp3 icons in selected folders, not all flac or mp3 files on the hard drive.

Can this be done? Will the burned or downloaded set be viewable in Windows like I want it to be?

Appreciate any help.

David Oxford

Brian Kavanaugh

Hmm... mp3tag is what I tried before I replied. The embedded cover shows up just fine in various players, but at least for me, it does not change the icon displayed on the file itself (including after restarting Windows Explorer, in case it was caching it). I tried setting both the front cover and icon tags.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 8:07 AM Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:
Dave
Have you ever tagged a file? It is a very simple process. When you tag a show, it allows you to update the displayed icons, genre, the title, author..... Tagging allows you to determine the way a show or file is displayed on your specific player. The icon displayed is merely a small image file saved to a specific file or group of files. It is embedded into the file itself. I tag my shows so that the titles come up under Author on my Itouch. There are numerous programs you can use. I have used Mp3tag for years. It will work on all versions of Windows.  I believe it is probably a free download. Here is a sample. I retagged ILAdv last week.

 I hope this helps. If you need more specific information, I will gladly walk you through the process.

JJ

Jim Jones

Brian
To change a cover using Mp3tag, you have to remove the old cover first. If you just add a new cover BOTH will be in the metadata, and the first cover will still be displayed. Easy to do. Select all files, then right click in the cover box (lower left) and remove cover. Right click again and Add Cover.

Jim Jones

Dave
After reading the replies I thought I may have misspoken, so I did a test on a sample flac file. I created a cover and added it to the file using mp3tag.

I believe this is what you want to do. As you can see, I was easily able to add cover images to both flac and mp3s using mp3tag.

JJ

Brian Kavanaugh

I had an mp3 (Gildy audition episode from our last set) that had no cover embedded. I tried various combinations of using the front cover art image - front cover tag, icon tag, both, none. In all cases, the icon for the file remained the one for Groove (fairly recently created VM and I never changed the default program associated with mp3s).

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 8:36 AM Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:
Brian
To change a cover using Mp3tag, you have to remove the old cover first. If you just add a new cover BOTH will be in the metadata, and the first cover will still be displayed. Easy to do. Select all files, then right click in the cover box (lower left) and remove cover. Right click again and Add Cover.

Brian Allen

For my OTR files I use a program called MediaMonkey that allows me to add artwork to my files. By doing this, they show in the folders with the artwork and when I play them in the car, the artwork shows there as well. It uses the tagging that is mentioned and works well.