Lives of Harry Lime

Ryan Ellett

I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.
Ryan

Here's a quick shot of the episodes on my stream server...  All around 28 minutes

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021, 12:15 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.

I've matched these up with the Goldin descriptions and they should be 25-30 minutes. That seems like a lot of potential commercials and such to be cut!

On Sunday, December 5, 2021, 11:18:48 AM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

Here's a quick shot of the episodes on my stream server...  All around 28 minutes

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021, 12:15 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.
Ryan

And/or the middle intro outros!   Someone may not care for the program music either.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021, 12:26 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

StewGold

Probably cut the commercials, the music. the end credits, or the most terrible crime of all, sped the recording up to get more episodes on the tape. I try and use a good recording and match the pitch of the into music up, to get a recording back to the right frequencies. Hard when they've cut the music though.

On Sunday, 5 December 2021, 17:15:26 GMT, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.
Ryan

Ian Grieve

Someone didn't like Zither music?

Ian

I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.
Ryan

Randy Watts

Ryan,

The "Harry Lime" shows you're dubbing may be latter-day Charles Michelson syndication cuts. "Harry Lime" was one of the shows he handled. Some of his stuff was cut rather severely to allow for local station commercial time AND a 5-minute news break.

Randy

On Sunday, December 5, 2021, 11:15:25 AM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm dubbing some episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime from a reel purchased by the group and finding the episodes to be about 20 minutes. I'm not very familiar with the program but that seems a very odd length. An AFRS show should be around 25 minutes and a network broadcast about 30 minutes. What might be cut from these? I've not had a chance to compare these recordings to others that might be a more normal length.
Ryan

Bob@...

"The Lives of Harry Lime" had a verbose intro... "Presenting Orson Welles as the Third Man..." speech and dramatic "That was the gunshot that killed Harry Lime" explaining the "prequels" connection to the movie, followed by spoken plot-summary intros and "punchline" exits by Welles-as-Harry.

The Third Man Theme's original Zither player Anton Karas got credit in the program introduction, and there were opening, 12-minute, and ending interludes of him playing, and even more zither punctuating filler and background use of his music. The 50 programs I have in my iTunes player (probably an archive-org collection from 2012) range from 26:51 to 29:30 each ... But even the shortest. "Pleasure Before Business," has a full two minutes of zither at beginning and another two minutes at the end, *after* a zither break for an ad and Welles' closing comments.

The longest one, "Clay Pigeon," has a long zither addendum after its closing message from Orson-as-Harry.... as if they played the closing-zither tape three or four times! No dead air at all.

I wonder if there were written announcer-cut-in instructions to users of the show!?

By the way, given my usual fixation on newspaper characters in radio plots, my interest in Harry Lime was really the later series "Europe Confidential," which recycled Harry Lime scripts, writing hustling Harry out of the story and inserting an American journalist character.  After tracking down Jim McCuaig and helping figure out the origin-story, I wrote about a few episodes in 2013. I never finished a planned master essay about the series, after I found out it wasn't a U.S. production *and* retired from my university position, removing the "publish or perish" pressure ...  :-)

https://jheroes.com/?s=Europe+Confidential

Cheers,

Bob

Ian Grieve

G'day Bob, there is an experienced OTR Researcher tracking down the Harry Towers series origins, cast etc.  Its not my story to tell.  But hopefully the Towers mysteries will get solved in the near future.

Ian

[...]

Very good to hear... Hearing the Lives of Harry Lime episodes that were converted into "Europe Confidential" scripts made me wonder whether any of the other episodes had previous incarnations in other Towers series. I also wonder to what extent Welles was involved in writing the Harry Lime scripts, or whether he knew of Towers' script-recycling. Wikipedia says that one Welles did write became the basis for his film Mr. Arkadin.  However, that is not one of the 50 titles I downloaded from the Internet Archive wayback when, at least not under the title WIkipedia gives, "Man of Mystery." Have to go looking for the Mr. Arkadin DVD at the university library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Harry_Lime

Sadly, I also missed the 2019 BBC series about Towers... I wonder if it gets e rebroadcast like some other productions. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001wkw

 Cheers,

 Bob

Randy Watts

On Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 03:45:31 PM CST, Bob Stepno <rstepno@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Randy,

After I wrote that message I discovered that I had also downloaded more complete Harry Lime sets (the Times Past and the OTRR?) with Man of Mystery, but hadn't pulled the missing two shows into the iTunes player I was using when this conversation started. Mea Culpa.

This is the Times Past one... https://archive.org/details/TheLivesOfHarryLime

And this the "Harey" OTRR one ... https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Harey_Lime_Singles

Best December wishes,

Bob

PS Here are the two blog articles that started my listening to Harry... and, I think, the only one where I found an actual journalist-focused plot in a Harry Lime story.

https://jheroes.com/2013/01/06/europe-confidential1/

https://jheroes.com/2013/01/09/reporter-stands-back-in-recycled-story/

https://jheroes.com/2013/01/13/orson-welles-journalist/