The Strange Romance of Evelyn Winters

Ryan Ellett

I've been working with Larry to try and put this set together. There have been a lot of episodes shared and different dates and titles posted. Realizing it will be extremely difficult to verify these dates against discs or scripts, I compared the dates I had to dates that Jerry has listed in his holdings. Most matched up, some did not and did not seem to be an obvious typo of some sort in the date (i.e. 5s and 6s can look very similar in handwriting). Here is what I currently have in my folder:

1945-02-28 Jenny wants to Act (sometimes spelled Ginny, not sure if they are the same character, also titled Jenny's Audition)
1945-08-27 Walter Returns from Washington
1945-10-15 Jenny's Part in New Comedy
1946-03-12 Maggie's Night Off
1946-04-26 Collier
1946-10-29 A Disturbing News Bulletin (also dated 1946-03-26)
1946-12-29 Pierre (Pierce?) Waits for Evelyn's Answer
1947-01-20 Pierce (Pierre?) Leaves for London
1947-01-27 The Upper Crust
1947-03-26 The Theater Crowd
1947-06-11 Pierce and Jenny Dine at the New Tahiti (from disc on Archive.org with picture)
1947-06-13 Evelyn Returns from New Haven (from disc on Archive.org with picture)
1948-04-21 Kristin Talks with Gary (also labeled Returning Late)
1948-07-07 Valerie Winters Climbs Stairs

Let me know how this compares to what all the recipients of the set have in their folder.
Ryan

peterjaybird@...

I'm guessing that 1946-12-29 is probably a bad date, being a Sunday.

Pete

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 04:24:19 PM EST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

[...]

I would say that is 99% likely, Pete. I think I will try and make a "first lines" type document for these episodes so that we can be clear when we're talking about the same recording in the case of different titles/dates.

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 03:34:49 PM CST, peterjaybird via groups.io <peterjaybird@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan….   Are you going to share the complete folder?   The way the files were distributed with multiple emails and all the replies I only managed to download 8 of the 14 files.     I’m not even sure which ones I missed.

Thanks!
Bob

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 4:24 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Larry Gassman

I am very much in a similar situation.

Larry

[...]

B. J. Watkins

Ryan, the show dated 12-29-46 is the same show as 10-29-46 ("One of Evelyn Winters favorite melodies...". I've gone through my episodes and made first lines. I have a show dated 10-3-45 with a first line "The morning after Gary Bennett told Evelyn Winters that he loved her..."  I can't find any of the listed episodes with that first line.

Barbara

[...]

CBS Radio actress Mary Mason models fashion wear. She portrays Jinny Roberts in the radio soap opera program, The Strange Romance of Evelyn Winters. June 20, 1947. New York, NY.
www.gettyimages.com

[...]

The tentative date list I built for Evelyn Winter was based on the pattern that was listed.  I did not know if any breaks were taken or the broadcast date changed.  If it is ok, then that allows us to establish show numbers to go with the broadcast dates. I don't know where Barbara found her episodes but I looked in all my dark corners around the web and found very little.

Labor ipse voluptas

[...]

Randy Watts

Browsing through old newspaper referenes to the series and the character, there is, early on, some inconsistency in spelling. Sometimes it's "Ginny" and sometimes it's "Jinny." After awhile, though, they seem to have settled on Jinny with a "J."

Randy (who obviously has too much free time tonight)

[...]

This "story" uses Jinny; Probably isn't critical as long as we're consistent.

Ryan Ellett

Here is a link the shows as I got them from Larry. These includes contributions from him, myself, Barbara Watkins, Matthew Nunes, and Ed Hrbek. I have not made Barbara's latest date change.

I am working on first lines as you read this.

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 04:54:58 PM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

[...]

Here are the first lines of this 14 episodes. 1946-12-29 does appear to be 1946-10-29 as Barbara suggests. We also have two different episodes labeled 1948-04-21.

Ryan Ellett

I suspect Barbara's episodes came from the SPERDVAC library, but only she knows for sure...

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 06:30:13 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

The tentative date list I built for Evelyn Winter was based on the pattern that was listed.  I did not know if any breaks were taken or the broadcast date changed.  If it is ok, then that allows us to establish show numbers to go with the broadcast dates. I don't know where Barbara found her episodes but I looked in all my dark corners around the web and found very little.

48-04-21 or #893 if my sequence works, I have as Returning Late.

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 08:56:01 PM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I suspect Barbara's episodes came from the SPERDVAC library, but only she knows for sure...

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 06:30:13 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

The tentative date list I built for Evelyn Winter was based on the pattern that was listed.  I did not know if any breaks were taken or the broadcast date changed.  If it is ok, then that allows us to establish show numbers to go with the broadcast dates. I don't know where Barbara found her episodes but I looked in all my dark corners around the web and found very little.

Labor ipse voluptas

ehrbek

Aren't 47-03-26 Theater Crowd and 48-04-21 Kristen talks with Gary the same?

48-04-21 or #893 if my sequence works, I have as Returning Late.

Labor ipse voluptas

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 08:56:01 PM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I suspect Barbara's episodes came from the SPERDVAC library, but only she knows for sure...

On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 06:30:13 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

The tentative date list I built for Evelyn Winter was based on the pattern that was listed.  I did not know if any breaks were taken or the broadcast date changed.  If it is ok, then that allows us to establish show numbers to go with the broadcast dates. I don't know where Barbara found her episodes but I looked in all my dark corners around the web and found very little.

Labor ipse voluptas

B. J. Watkins

No, the 47-03-26 show was also erroneously dated 48-04-21. The real 48-04-21 was about Evelyn staying out all night. In my reel collection I had it listed as Evelyn doesn't come home until 8 am. Back in the 1980s and 90s I did a lot of trading. Several of my trading partners had nice collections of soaps. I found my card file for Evelyn Winters. I had ten episodes. Several of the reels have been digitized. One episode was 4-23-46. I believe that might be the episode now circulating as 4-26-46. Whether the date was corrected over time or someone just miscopied it along the way I don't know.

Barbara

[...]

I meant they were the same on Ryan's first line list and in his updated distro from yesterday.

[...]

Noted. I'll delete the incorrect 48-04-21 (Kristin talks with Gary) episode from the folder.
Both 1946-04-23 and 1946-04-26 are plausible dates as they fall on Tuesday and Friday respectively. I may need to just make a note in the file data that there is a possible alternate date.

It appears we stand at 13 episodes with these dates (changes have been made at the pCloud link):

1945-02-28 Jinny Wants to Act
1945-08-27 Walter Returns from Washington
1945-10-15 Jinny's Part in New Comedy
1946-03-12 Maggie's Night Off
1946-04-23 (possibly 1946-04-26) Collier
1946-10-29 A Disturbing News Bulletin
1947-01-20 Pierce Leaves for London
1947-01-27 The Upper Crust
1947-03-26 The Theater Crowd
1947-06-11
1947-06-13
1948-04-21 Returning Late
1948-07-07 Valerie Winters

On Thursday, December 9, 2021, 07:37:32 AM CST, ehrbek <ehrbek@...> wrote:

[...]

 This one from Barbara is still not listed

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ6L4NXZyRPsSvAUunzJT9GjScOQrJ5GpLm7