The Adventures of Frank Race

Ryan Ellett

It looks like 52 episodes of Frank Race were produced but only 43 exists among collectors. Is it known what happened to the other 9? Is there a chance the discs are still out there somewhere? Or are the trade magazine accounts incorrect and only 43 were ultimately made (a very odd number)?

In all the years I have been scouring catalogs and such only those 43 seen to have survived

And that's a surprise, because as a syndicated program there sould have been 50-100 or possibly more sets of discs. Just in terms of sheer number you'd think 1 or 2 more would have been found by now

--

Randy Watts

Has anyone come up with evidence that there were ever more than 43 episodes of :"Frank Race" produced? Martin Grams logged two separate runs of 43 episodes each. Digital Deli was likewise unable to come up with logs of more than the 43 in circulation. I've seen references in trade magazines to 52 episodes of "Frank Race," and 43 is admittedly an odd number of shows, radio usually working in blocks of 13. It seems odd, though, that if there existed episodes numbered #44 through #52 that discs for those have never surfaced and that no one has been able to come up with newspaper logs that indicate them being aired or even giving titles for them. Randy Riddle, for example, came up with discs for some 35 episodes of "Frank Race," but nothing higher than episode 43.

Randy

Randy Watts

it's worth noting that "Frontier Town," which was sold as a package deal with "Frank Race" and "Pat O'Brien from Hollywood," likewise seems to have fallen short of 52 episodes, neither Grams nor Digital Deli able to come up with more than 47 episodes aired or surviving.

Randy

Joe Webb

Here's the answer! Never heard this before -- from Variety June 3 1952 -- there were only 43 done!!
Sounds like Bruce Eells may have run out of money for production.... and only got 43 out and 47 of Frontier Town!
Whew! Our collections are more complete than we ever thought!! :)

--

Yay for Dr Joe!   Now I can delete those eBay searches I added this morning! 😁

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021, 4:31 PM Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here's the answer! Never heard this before -- from Variety June 3 1952 -- there were only 43 done!!
Sounds like Bruce Eells may have run out of money for production.... and only got 43 out and 47 of Frontier Town!
Whew! Our collections are more complete than we ever thought!! :)

--

Jim Jones

And I can delete the log I was creating from the Tucson Daily Citizen

Also, Merry Christmas to one and all.

jj

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021, 4:31 PM Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

Here's the answer! Never heard this before -- from Variety June 3 1952 -- there were only 43 done!!
Sounds like Bruce Eells may have run out of money for production.... and only got 43 out and 47 of Frontier Town!
Whew! Our collections are more complete than we ever thought!! :)

Hm, I was just searching earlier today and didn't see that hit in Variety. Solves that mystery.

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 03:31:20 PM CST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

Here's the answer! Never heard this before -- from Variety June 3 1952 -- there were only 43 done!!
Sounds like Bruce Eells may have run out of money for production.... and only got 43 out and 47 of Frontier Town!
Whew! Our collections are more complete than we ever thought!! :)

--

Randy Watts

Nice catch,  Joe!

<><><><><>

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 03:31:20 PM CST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

Here's the answer! Never heard this before -- from Variety June 3 1952 -- there were only 43 done!!
Sounds like Bruce Eells may have run out of money for production.... and only got 43 out and 47 of Frontier Town!
Whew! Our collections are more complete than we ever thought!! :)

We've released Frontier Town and Frank Race, OTRR just needs to get Pat O'Brian from Hollywood put together now. I don't even see any in the library.

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 02:39:00 PM CST, Randy Watts via groups.io <rew1014@...> wrote:

it's worth noting that "Frontier Town," which was sold as a package deal with "Frank Race" and "Pat O'Brien from Hollywood," likewise seems to have fallen short of 52 episodes, neither Grams nor Digital Deli able to come up with more than 47 episodes aired or surviving.

Randy

Richard Davenport

Frontier Town info that I have pulled together.

Frontier Town was an American radio adventure serial syndicated by Bruce Eells Productions. The 30-minute programme's first known broadcast was in 1949, and the show ran for 47 episodes. Because it was syndicated, it aired on different stations on different days. For instance, in New York City, the first episode ran on WINS on March 5, 1949.

Characters and story description

Chad Remington's quest to bring his father's killer to justice served as a springboard for a career as a crime fighting attorney in the small town of Dos Rios.

Remington was played initially by Jeff Chandler, billed as Tex Chandler. Halfway through the program's run, the role was assumed by Reed Hadley. Wild Bill Elliott was originally planned as the star according to an early news story.[2] Remington's sidekick, Cherokee O'Bannon, was played by Wade Crosby using the speech patterns of W.C. Fields.

The series was written and directed by Paul Franklin. Ivan Ditmars and Bob Mitchell provided the background organ music.

Opening intro

Each episode opened with the following text:

"Frontier Town, the saga of the roaring West (organ music) Frontier Town... (sounds of men whooping and horse beats) Here is the Adventure Story of the Early West, the tamed and the untamed, from Cheyenne to Calgary, from Dodge City to Poker Flats. These are the towns they fought to live in and lived to fight for, teeming crucibles of pioneer freedom. Frontier Town!"

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 04:48:32 PM CST, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

We've released Frontier Town and Frank Race, OTRR just needs to get Pat O'Brian from Hollywood put together now. I don't even see any in the library.

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 02:39:00 PM CST, Randy Watts via groups.io <rew1014@...> wrote:

it's worth noting that "Frontier Town," which was sold as a package deal with "Frank Race" and "Pat O'Brien from Hollywood," likewise seems to have fallen short of 52 episodes, neither Grams nor Digital Deli able to come up with more than 47 episodes aired or surviving.

Randy

Richard Davenport

I have 47 shows in my Frank Race folder.

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 05:18:17 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

Correction make that 47 in my Frontier Town folder

Labor ipse voluptas

On Friday, December 24, 2021, 05:20:50 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

They had high hopes
This item from 1950-04-24 Broadcasting Magazine says they were selling it as a 52-week series.... since they didn't produce that many, that probably made people unhappy

Edited

Seems like there was some money mismanagement going on at the time of the Frank Race production -- not necessarily malfeasance -- but it could have started with poor sales and they ran out of money to finance the productions. The company ended up filing for bankruptcy. Eells did what everyone else did at the time. He went into television syndication and ended up a few years later working for Ziv TV. Crazy business.

Variety 1949-11-09

Variety 1949-12-09

Variety 1950-04-03

Variety 1953-06-17

Edited

This clip below is from Broadcasting Magazine. Seems like Eells was trying a new financial arrangement. It obviously didn't work. This makes me wonder -- Tom Collins was the original Frank Race, and they switched to Paul Dubov... was that an economy move to cut costs? DId Collins suspect he wasn't going to be paid? And the item I posted earlier about Murcott being slugged by Eells... Murcott was the director and scriptwriter for the Frank Race series! Gosh, this real life stuff almost sounds like the makings of a radio script itself!

In the searches for Frank Race background, I came across this 1968 article from the Raleigh NC News & Observer. A Durham NC station had some Race discs and they started using them all those years later! The writer doesn't spell many of the actor names correctly (there were really no references of note to consult that time), but the story is amusing! And there was a Frank Race club started at Duke University!

--

B. J. Watkins

Thanks Joe. I enjoyed the article!

Barbara