YouTube Channel - Five Years!

Brian Kavanaugh

Five years ago today, I started a YouTube channel for the Old Time Radio Researchers Group. It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/c/OldTimeRadioResearchers. I've recently been doing some reorganization of the main page, changing the sections to be genre-based to hopefully make it easier to find the series we have posted.

Here are some statistics for our channel:
  • Number of series: 161 (includes five series scheduled to be released the next two months)
  • Number of episodes: 18,472 (I *think* this number is only published episodes)
  • Subscribers: 16,102
    • 2021: +5,180
    • 2020: +5,076
    • 2019: +2,783
    • 2018: +1,935
    • 2017: +810
  • Viewer gender: 25.6% female, 74.4% male
  • Viewer age:
    • 13-17 - 0.1%
    • 18-24 - 1.7%
    • 25-34 - 5.3%
    • 35-44 - 8.9%
    • 45-54 - 18.8%
    • 55-64 - 31.9%
    • 65+ - 33.2%
  • Total views: 8,674,465
  • Total impressions: 105,834,333 (how many time video thumbnails were shown to viewers on YouTube, since January 1, 2018)
  • Total watch time (hours): 2,536,344
  • 73.4% of watch time comes from people not subscribed to the channel
  • Watch time by country (top 5):
    • USA - 82.4%
    • Canada - 6.8%
    • United Kingdom - 3.0%
    • Australia - 0.6%
    • Mexico - 0.1%
  • Most viewed video: "X Minus One - No Contact", 42,833 (five of the top ten are X Minus One; second is the "Yours Truly Johnny Dollar" Dick Powell audition)
  • 58.6% of watch time comes from mobile phones

Brian Allen

Great information.  Thank you Brian for sharing

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 7:21 AM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io
<brian@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe Webb

I've uploaded stuff to YouTube -- while the process has become easier and more predictable, it requires MUCH DEDICATION AND PERSISTENCE AND TIME, especially with so very many files to manage

Thanks again for so faithfully and tirelessly spreading the word of OTRdom far and wide!

--

Tom Shamray

If I am reading these dashboard stats correctly, they seem rather grim. Fans of American otr(?), are American(86%) males(74%) over 45 years old(85%).

Thanks.

Tom

On Saturday, January 22, 2022, 09:33:18 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

I've uploaded stuff to YouTube -- while the process has become easier and more predictable, it requires MUCH DEDICATION AND PERSISTENCE AND TIME, especially with so very many files to manage

Thanks again for so faithfully and tirelessly spreading the word of OTRdom far and wide!

--

Brian Kavanaugh

I would say that they are not unexpected. However, the fact that more than a third of the audience was born after Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar and Suspense went off the air I think is pretty good.

On Saturday, January 22, 2022, 09:33:18 AM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I've uploaded stuff to YouTube -- while the process has become easier and more predictable, it requires MUCH DEDICATION AND PERSISTENCE AND TIME, especially with so very many files to manage

Thanks again for so faithfully and tirelessly spreading the word of OTRdom far and wide!

I'd read it as 66% of listens are from individuals under 65, a positive! We need someone who's familiar with Tim Tok and Instagram and such to figure out how to give the OTRR a presence there. That's where all the under-25 crowd is, social media-wise.

BrianWest2@...

very impressive, good job

[...]

jackies@tularosa.net

I know my son was listening to Old Time Radio from the time he was I would say about 14. I always liked OTR but he didn't exactly like it until he heard the show "Whose on First" He laughed so hard it wasn't funny. I think people who's parents are or were OTR lovers are the future of OTR. I have to bring my son up to speed with the OTR so should something happens to me he will be online with the groups.

Love
Jackie Schlageter

On 2022-01-22 9:43 am, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:
I would say that they are not unexpected. However, the fact that more
than a third of the audience was born after _Yours Truly, Johnny
Dollar_ and _Suspense_ went off the air I think is pretty good.

groups.io [1] <drjoewebb@...> wrote:
I've uploaded stuff to YouTube -- while the process has become
easier and more predictable, it requires MUCH DEDICATION AND
PERSISTENCE AND TIME, especially with so very many files to manage
Thanks again for so faithfully and tirelessly spreading the word of
OTRdom far and wide!
--
----------
_Suspense_ resource page
https://sites.google.com/view/suspense-collectors-companion
_Suspense_ enhanced log
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XflGB-S18jQ8JPr4EV1C9aZsRM_3Dw4xlLpGqgpBiU/edit?usp=sharing
_The Whistler_ complete log, presentations, and more
https://sites.google.com/view/the-whistler-files
_The Big Story_ Revealed!
https://sites.google.com/view/thestoriesbehindthebigstory/
_Casey, Crime Photographer_ episode analysis
https://bluenotebulletin.blogspot.com/
Links:
------
[1] http://groups.io
[2] https://OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io/g/main/message/4361
[3] https://groups.io/mt/88603512/4547457
[4] https://OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io/g/main/post
[5] https://OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io/g/main/editsub/4547457
[6] https://OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io/g/main/leave/8174380/4547457/2112569372/xyzzy

Scott Mahan

I was 6 in 1962 which makes me across the 66.8% threshold and; while I do remember that first week of the Clampett’s, Gilligan and Johnny Carson; I totally did not know that there was any such thing as radio drama that died that week.

I can’t believe anyone else of similar age is too much different. So I would say that these numbers tell us that upwards of 2/3 of the community, myself included, came to radio after-the-fact and I think that is pretty good.

[...]

Litsey, Alan

I’m 64 next month. I suspect many of us in our 60s discovered OTR in its popular revival on radio in the 1970s. I was thrilled to hear Fibber, Lum and Abner and many more on KFI, KMPC, to name a just a couple of stations. Later an actor and then, a theatre prof, these shows were inspiring acting and writing labs.

Alan

[...]

Scott -- ditto here for age etc.

The OTR collectors I know of that age who do remember hearing the programs remember hearing it in the car. YTJD and Suspense were on late Sunday afternoon/early evening, and if they were headed home from somewhere, that's when they heard it.

I was not one of those. I found it because of rebroadcasts of The Shadow on NYC's WRVR-FM in 1972 and then started bumping into it in comics collecting fanzines. And now it's still my hobby, 50 years later.

--

Gordon Johansen

I'm just like Scott and Joe age wise too, except that my start was with CBSRMT when I should have been asleep and Green Hornet and some others on early cable TV when they were desperate for programming. My daughters at least know Gilligan's Island and some other shows from that era because I bought the DVDs.

Gord

Joe Webb via groups.io wrote on 1/23/22 8:06 AM:
Scott -- ditto here for age etc.

The OTR collectors I know of that age who do remember hearing the programs remember hearing it in the car. YTJD and Suspense were on late Sunday afternoon/early evening, and if they were headed home from somewhere, that's when they heard it.

I was not one of those. I found it because of rebroadcasts of The Shadow on NYC's WRVR-FM in 1972 and then started bumping into it in comics collecting fanzines. And now it's still my hobby, 50 years later.

Sent from Postbox