Jay Hickerson, RIP

Joe Webb

It is with great sadness that I must report yesterday's passing of a classic radio hobby giant, Jay Hickerson. (August 3, 2022)
If you have been on some of the hobby Facebook pages, you have learned of it there. This is the first chance that I have had to post it or comment on it here.

There may be OTRR members who may never have heard of Jay, or the FOTR conventions, or his newsletter "Hello Again." There are us old timers who have warm memories and great gratitude about such things. The final FOTR convention was in 2011, and in December 2022, YesterdayUSA marked the 10th anniversary with a lively discussion that included yours truly, Stu Weiss (involved in the convention committee from the first in 1976 to the last in 2011), and Sean Dougherty. Jay was not well enough to join us online that day, but mention of his role in our hobby was delightfully constant. That YUSA broadcast is now available at https://archive.org/details/10thannivlastFOTR and can be streamed there or downloaded. That page also has background perspective about Jay's influence in our beloved hobby and the significance of those conventions. Thank you to YUSA for their enthusiastic permission to post this recording to mark Jay's passing.

Thankfully, the OTRR library has years of PDFs of Jay's Hello Again newsletter, and there are also some in the Joe Hehn Memorial Collection. If you want to see our hobby grow up, those HA newsletters show its development from a seedling to what we have today.

Please go to https://archive.org/details/10thannivlastFOTR for that retrospective summary of Jay's role in OTR and also that recording from last Fall. It's about two hours.

--

Randy Watts

Jay will be missed.

There's also his History of Radio Programming book, to which he devoted a tremendous amount of time and energy. He managed, I believe, five editions of that.

Randy

<><><><><>

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 05:38:13 AM CDT, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

I am very sad to here of his passing.

Sincerely,
Ted

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 9:27 PM, Randy Watts via groups.io
<rew1014@...> wrote:
[...]

Johnathan

I have his book and it is the best OTR Reference there is that I have seen. Spoke to him when I ordered it and he seemed so enthusiastic. Was polite and helpful and offered updates to his book. The 5th Edition is used by many. RIP Mister Hickerson                 Johnathan

Joe Webb

Jay Hickerson's obituary has now been posted -- If you would like to post comments for the family they can be posted there. https://www.beyersfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Jay-Hickerson/#!/Obituary

It's a real loss to the community that the book was not handed off to anyone (to my knowledge) so it could continue to be updated - even digitally - into the future. An invaluable resource.

On Saturday, August 6, 2022, 03:18:48 PM CDT, Johnathan <jdearman1@...> wrote:

I have his book and it is the best OTR Reference there is that I have seen. Spoke to him when I ordered it and he seemed so enthusiastic. Was polite and helpful and offered updates to his book. The 5th Edition is used by many. RIP Mister Hickerson                 Johnathan

Randy Watts

The most recent edition of the book that I have is the fifth revision. Jay sent it as a pdf. He said hard copies were no longer cost effective to print and distribute.

I never knew where Jay found the time to do all that  he did.

Randy

<><><><><>

On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 11:07:19 AM CDT, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

It's a real loss to the community that the book was not handed off to anyone (to my knowledge) so it could continue to be updated - even digitally - into the future. An invaluable resource.

On Saturday, August 6, 2022, 03:18:48 PM CDT, Johnathan <jdearman1@...> wrote:

I have his book and it is the best OTR Reference there is that I have seen. Spoke to him when I ordered it and he seemed so enthusiastic. Was polite and helpful and offered updates to his book. The 5th Edition is used by many. RIP Mister Hickerson                 Johnathan

Jim Jones

Jay will indeed be missed.
He has touched all aspects of the OTR community. His in-depth and tireless research resulted in the popular "The (New)(Revised) Ultimate History of Radio Programming and Guide To ALL Circulating Shows". This unique OTR resource has provided, and will continue to provide, detailed and pertinent information benefiting OTR researchers for years to come.
Like many others, when I have a research question, my first impulse is to reach for one of his dog-eared manuals which adorn my OTR library.

Jay H - For all that you have done - Thank You

jj

Richard Davenport

Randy, I have never seen a copy of his book. Can you share a copy of his book.

Rick

On Aug 8, 2022, at 2:29 PM, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

Jay will indeed be missed.
He has touched all aspects of the OTR community. His in-depth and tireless research resulted in the popular "The (New)(Revised) Ultimate History of Radio Programming and Guide To ALL Circulating Shows". This unique OTR resource has provided, and will continue to provide, detailed and pertinent information benefiting OTR researchers for years to come.
Like many others, when I have a research question, my first impulse is to reach for one of his dog-eared manuals which adorn my OTR library.

Jay H - For all that you have done - Thank You

jj

Bill Clough

If you have the PDF it shouldn't a large task to convert it to an editable file.
Bill

On 8/8/2022 1:55 PM, Randy Watts via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Michael Hingson

Depending on how the PDF book was produced I could help convert it. It would be easy enough to check.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

That's what I thought. if scanned run it through an OCR program, otherwise copy and paste.

Bill

On 8/8/2022 6:23 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

Brian Kavanaugh

I would feel much better about OTRR at least attempting to work out something with his wife, first.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022, 5:23 PM Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep. Simply depends on whether it is images or not. Acrobat offers some systems to help.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Ryan Ellett

Here is what the hard copy looks like, 600# pages. I don't know when the first version was published.

On Monday, August 8, 2022, 04:32:30 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Randy, I have never seen a copy of his book. Can you share a copy of his book.

Rick

Inline image

Inline image

Walden Hughes

I got my copy around the first half of the 1990s.  Take care,

Walden

Here is what the hard copy looks like, 600# pages. I don't know when the first version was published.

On Monday, August 8, 2022, 04:32:30 PM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Randy, I have never seen a copy of his book. Can you share a copy of his book.

Rick

Inline image

Inline image

Michael Hingson