A memory of an early OTRR leader

Joe Webb

It really is strange when you get a Facebook notice to wish a deceased person a happy birthday. But it is a reminder of that person, and in this case, someone who made a really big contribution to OTRR and the hobby, Ben Kibler. It is almost 6 years now that he passed away. He left a legacy of spreadsheets of newspaper research about many OTR series that had never been so documented. I used one that he had sent me just last week with dates, citations, actual titles, circulating titles, and first lines of dialogue. If you have files in your collection that have "[bk]" in their file names, that was how he designated that he had listened to and researched that recording. He taught this very OTR oldtimer, who had gone on somewhat of a 20 year hobby hiatus, how the new digital hobby worked and all of the new research tools that were available. There is not a day that goes by in these matters that I do not do something that was taught or recommended or use a software product by Ben. I am so pleased that we met and worked together and had many Skype sessions together. RIP Ben! OTRR still gets its work done because of the foundation you helped create!
--

peterjaybird@...

Ben was awesome about sharing programmes from his huge collection and a stickler about incorrectly-named shows.  Best of all he was friend and help to all whom he met.

With kind remembrance,

Pete

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:35:41 PM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

It really is strange when you get a Facebook notice to wish a deceased person a happy birthday. But it is a reminder of that person, and in this case, someone who made a really big contribution to OTRR and the hobby, Ben Kibler. It is almost 6 years now that he passed away. He left a legacy of spreadsheets of newspaper research about many OTR series that had never been so documented. I used one that he had sent me just last week with dates, citations, actual titles, circulating titles, and first lines of dialogue. If you have files in your collection that have "[bk]" in their file names, that was how he designated that he had listened to and researched that recording. He taught this very OTR oldtimer, who had gone on somewhat of a 20 year hobby hiatus, how the new digital hobby worked and all of the new research tools that were available. There is not a day that goes by in these matters that I do not do something that was taught or recommended or use a software product by Ben. I am so pleased that we met and worked together and had many Skype sessions together. RIP Ben! OTRR still gets its work done because of the foundation you helped create!
--

Wild West Designs

I remember him from the early years of my serious collecting (starting in the late '90s when it was IRC and FTP for communication and file sharing).  Many, many files that I have collected had (bk) in their naming schema.  Always took the time to help out with my questions when I asked.

On 2021-02-08 01:00 PM, peterjaybird via groups.io wrote:

Ben was awesome about sharing programmes from his huge collection and a stickler about incorrectly-named shows.  Best of all he was friend and help to all whom he met.

With kind remembrance,

Pete

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:35:41 PM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

--

Ian Grieve

I second all that.  I still miss Ben.  His questions, his logs, his hard work doing real research and of course his bk on filenames.

Ian

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 9/02/2021 3:35:02 AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] A memory of an early OTRR leader

--

B. J. Watkins

Always wondered what bk meant.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ian Grieve <austotr@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 12:29 PM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] A memory of an early OTRR leader

I second all that.  I still miss Ben.  His questions, his logs, his hard work doing real research and of course his bk on filenames.

Ian

--

B. J. Watkins

Did he ever attend FOTR?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of peterjaybird via groups.io <peterjaybird@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 11:00 AM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>; main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

With kind remembrance,

Pete

--

Ian Grieve

I teased him once by telling people to remove the bk and he posted back in a panic saying, don't tell them that, I will not know where I am up to.

Ian

Sent: 9/02/2021 6:31:03 AM

Always wondered what bk meant.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ian Grieve <austotr@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 12:29 PM
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>

Ian

--

Ian Grieve

Not that I am aware of Barbara.  He was a double amputee and moved between his home in the north and Florida.  Playing golf in his spare time.  We all trusted him and his research, including JerryH who would supply him with audio.

Ian

Sent: 9/02/2021 6:34:41 AM

Did he ever attend FOTR?

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of peterjaybird via groups.io <peterjaybird@...>
To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>; main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

With kind remembrance,

Pete

--

B. J. Watkins

Thanks Ian.

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 12:48 PM

Not that I am aware of Barbara.  He was a double amputee and moved between his home in the north and Florida.  Playing golf in his spare time.  We all trusted him and his research, including JerryH who would supply him with audio.

Ian

Sent: 9/02/2021 6:34:41 AM

Did he ever attend FOTR?

With kind remembrance,

Pete

--

Archie

Thanks Joe. I am proud to say that I counted Ben in my small circle of OTR friends.  Our mail topic of converation was Imagination Theatre.

Rest well, my friend.

Archie

Jim Jones

Joe
You know Ben and I  were very close. We worked together on OTR from the early days of OTRR with JimB compiling logs and building the website. Ben and I worked together several hours a day  for many months gathering, clipping and OCRing over 45000 newspaper radio logs to make them available to the radio community. We worked on many many logs together. We video chatted frequently and shared our life experiences. This also allowed me to  meet his wife and son.  I shared his pain as he endured several brace changes (He lost his lower legs in a car accident in the 1980’s). I harped for years, but I could not get him to quit smoking, though he was ALWAYS trying. I know his contributions to OTR are immense, but even more important his memories and friendship will be with me forever.

jj

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 10:35 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

--

B. J. Watkins

It's too late for Ben but we can thank you, Jim, for your contributions to our obsession.

Barbara

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Jones <otr@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 2:30 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Joe
You know Ben and I  were very close. We worked together on OTR from the early days of OTRR with JimB compiling logs and building the website. Ben and I worked together several hours a day  for many months gathering, clipping and OCRing over 45000 newspaper radio logs to make them available to the radio community. We worked on many many logs together. We video chatted frequently and shared our life experiences. This also allowed me to  meet his wife and son.  I shared his pain as he endured several brace changes (He lost his lower legs in a car accident in the 1980’s). I harped for years, but I could not get him to quit smoking, though he was ALWAYS trying. I know his contributions to OTR are immense, but even more important his memories and friendship will be with me forever.

jj

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 10:35 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

--

Philip Atchley

OOOPS, attached the reply to the wrong message. Let's try again!

Thank you for the great information.

I often wondered what the (bk) was.  Unfortunately, because of the folder architecture I use,  to try to minimize "Path length" I usually rename many files and usually use a '_' between words to avoid blank spaces (when I posted on Multiply many years ago it didn't like empty spaces).  In most cases my files no longer have the (bk), if I'd known I'd have left it in there. . .

<>< 73 From "The Beaconeer's Lair" <><
Specializing in DXing NDBs (Longwave Beacons)
Phil, KO6BB, http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/

HF/LF RADIOS:
YAESU: FTDX-101MP Xceiver, Dual SDR Receivers (~2020)
YAESU: FTDX-3000 Xceiver, DSP IF, 300Hz Roofing filter (~2019).
Icom: IC-7200 Xceiver, DSP IF & filters (~2015).
Uniden: SDS-200 Scanner, 25-1300MHz (2020)
Eton: Elite 750, (AKA Grundig Satelite 750 (2020)
HOMEBREW: 7 Tube+Rect 1v3 Regen RX for LF (built 2015)
SDRS: Perseus 10KHz-40MHz (2020)
Softrock Ensemble II LF Receiver (kit, 2017)
Softrock Ensemble II HF Receiver (Kit, 2019)
ACC: MFJ-993B Auto Antenna Matcher.
HOMEBREW LF-MF Pre-Amp, 8Hz Audio Filter.
HOMEBREW 4 Port Antenna Multicoupler, Feeds 4 RX's.
ANTENNAS: 88 foot Long Ladder-line fed dipole, 35 feet AGL for MW/SW.
Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop For LF/MW/SW at 17 Feet AGL
37 foot "Low Noise Vertical", 11 feet AGL for LF/MW/SW.
Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo Vertical, 14 feet AGL for 10M.
Diamond Discone 35 feet AGL for VHF/UHF.
Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh

On 2/8/2021 5:35 PM, Joe Webb via groups.io wrote:
--
/----------/