Ben was awesome about sharing programmes from his huge collection and a stickler about incorrectly-named shows.  Best of all he was friend and help to all whom he met.

With kind remembrance,

Pete

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:35:41 PM EST, Joe Webb via groups.io <drjoewebb@...> wrote:

It really is strange when you get a Facebook notice to wish a deceased person a happy birthday. But it is a reminder of that person, and in this case, someone who made a really big contribution to OTRR and the hobby, Ben Kibler. It is almost 6 years now that he passed away. He left a legacy of spreadsheets of newspaper research about many OTR series that had never been so documented. I used one that he had sent me just last week with dates, citations, actual titles, circulating titles, and first lines of dialogue. If you have files in your collection that have "[bk]" in their file names, that was how he designated that he had listened to and researched that recording. He taught this very OTR oldtimer, who had gone on somewhat of a 20 year hobby hiatus, how the new digital hobby worked and all of the new research tools that were available. There is not a day that goes by in these matters that I do not do something that was taught or recommended or use a software product by Ben. I am so pleased that we met and worked together and had many Skype sessions together. RIP Ben! OTRR still gets its work done because of the foundation you helped create!
--

Wild West Designs

I remember him from the early years of my serious collecting (starting in the late '90s when it was IRC and FTP for communication and file sharing).  Many, many files that I have collected had (bk) in their naming schema.  Always took the time to help out with my questions when I asked.

On 2021-02-08 01:00 PM, peterjaybird via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Ian Grieve

I second all that.  I still miss Ben.  His questions, his logs, his hard work doing real research and of course his bk on filenames.

Ian

[...]

B. J. Watkins

Always wondered what bk meant.

[...]

Did he ever attend FOTR?

[...]

I teased him once by telling people to remove the bk and he posted back in a panic saying, don't tell them that, I will not know where I am up to.

Ian

[...]

Not that I am aware of Barbara.  He was a double amputee and moved between his home in the north and Florida.  Playing golf in his spare time.  We all trusted him and his research, including JerryH who would supply him with audio.

Ian

[...]

Archie

Thanks Joe. I am proud to say that I counted Ben in my small circle of OTR friends.  Our mail topic of converation was Imagination Theatre.

Rest well, my friend.

Archie

Jim Jones

Joe
You know Ben and I  were very close. We worked together on OTR from the early days of OTRR with JimB compiling logs and building the website. Ben and I worked together several hours a day  for many months gathering, clipping and OCRing over 45000 newspaper radio logs to make them available to the radio community. We worked on many many logs together. We video chatted frequently and shared our life experiences. This also allowed me to  meet his wife and son.  I shared his pain as he endured several brace changes (He lost his lower legs in a car accident in the 1980’s). I harped for years, but I could not get him to quit smoking, though he was ALWAYS trying. I know his contributions to OTR are immense, but even more important his memories and friendship will be with me forever.

jj

[...]

It's too late for Ben but we can thank you, Jim, for your contributions to our obsession.

Barbara