Topics

A Review On The Internet Archive

Larry Maupin

Hello to all members.  I have written a review of the set of episodes that Ryan Ellett did such a splendid job of uploading to the Internet Archive. The link he provided, which is included in this message, still works.  Clicking on it will take you to the collection where you will see all the episodes ready to be heard and will also see the review.

I wrote the review for a couple of reasons,  First, I am so proud of that set and I think it reflects well on our group that we are sharing these gems with every other OTR enthusiast who has a computer with a sound card.  So far 97 people have viewed the collection, but reviews usually increase the number of visitors and I hope that many more people will decide to look at the collection as a result of the long and detailed review.

The second reason is that some members of our groups might decide to listen to the episodes and even to write reviews of their own on this collection or on something else in the Archive that interests them.  I had so much fun listening to these programs and writing episode summaries of them,  and hope that many other people will enjoy hearing them as much as I have.

Larry Maupin

-----------------------------------------

To: lmaupin@...
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday July 8 2020 8:51:21PM
Subject: Re: The Link

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 1:56:02 PM CDT, <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Hello Ryan.  I would like to know how you are coming along on placing the set of "Unique Old-Time Radio Programs" on the Archive.  When do you think you will be able to post a link to the Purchasing and Main groups so that all members can listen to the episodes?

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Bob Stepno

Thanks for posting a fresh copy of the Jane Endicott premier in that collection... She has had a hard time of it in the old OTRR singles and doubles collections, so I have added a link to this one as a backup on my little essay about her.

It was also a pleasant surprise to hear Jerry Haendiges introducing the program. I had already cited his log of the program 6 years ago, so that was a nice coincidence. I wonder if the original uploads were from his collection too. 

As requested, I did add a review to the new page, with the link to my essay below...

https://jheroes.com/2014/04/24/reporter-had-spunk-but-soup-opera-didnt-last-long/

Larry Maupin

Bob, your review contains a wealth of information about the program, and I see a link in it that will allow other members to listen to the second episode, which I'm sure everyone appreciates.  I do not check the singles and doubles collection for the following reasons; (1) any member who chooses can do that without any help; (2) my experience with the audio quality has been that it is sometimes poor; (3) episode titles are sometimes missing and dates may be missing or incorrect.  I will add that I have not browsed through the collection recently and that some of these problems may have been resolved by now.

Also, I am very glad the collection exists and highly recommend it for listening pleasure.  I think the only surviving episode of A&P Gypsies is there, and few programs I have ever heard contain such beautiful music as that one, which I think is about 45 minutes in length.  Songs played include "Dardanella," "March of the Sardors," "Just a Memory" and the rousing, show stopping "Strike Me Pink" from a popular Broadway musical of the early 1930s.  It is a happy coincidence that the singing duo of Billy Murray and Eddie Smalley that I mention in the episode summary of The Record Collectors also recorded a version of "Dardanella" which can be heard by searching for them on the Internet.    

As for your mention of Jerry Haendiges, I was impressed and delighted by how good he is as a host.  He has a good radio voice, his musical selections are wonderful, and the background he provides to the episodes on the Same Time, Same Station broadcasts is always interesting. 

Thank you for sharing everything in your message.

Larry     

-----------------------------------------

To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday July 25 2020 4:12:23PM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] A Review On The Internet Archive

Thanks for posting a fresh copy of the Jane Endicott premier in that collection... She has had a hard time of it in the old OTRR singles and doubles collections, so I have added a link to this one as a backup on my little essay about her.

It was also a pleasant surprise to hear Jerry Haendiges introducing the program. I had already cited his log of the program 6 years ago, so that was a nice coincidence. I wonder if the original uploads were from his collection too. 

As requested, I did add a review to the new page, with the link to my essay below...

https://jheroes.com/2014/04/24/reporter-had-spunk-but-soup-opera-didnt-last-long/

--
Larry Maupin