Topics

Acrobat

Ryan Ellett

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.
Ryan

Allan Foster

What software do you use to convert the document to .pdf?

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:41 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.
Ryan

Wild West Designs

I use LibreOffice Writer and it has a direct export to PDF and it works like a charm.  No issues with formatting, but I work exclusive within that or for my books, I work with Scribus (think inDesign) which also has a direct to PDF export as well.

Evan West

On 2021-02-19 12:59 PM, Allan Foster via groups.io wrote:

What software do you use to convert the document to .pdf?

Allan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:41 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.

Send it as a word doc or print a copy from pdf then scan the pages as images then paste the images into a pdf.  That will keep the formatting intact. Send me a clean finished copy and i will scan them into jpeg for you.

On 2021-02-19 12:59 PM, Allan Foster via groups.io wrote:

What software do you use to convert the document to .pdf?

Allan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:41 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.
Ryan
<Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.37.38 AM.png>
<Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.36.19 AM.png>

Ryan Ellett

Allan, I just save the Word document as a .pdf. I chose the option to save in a printable format and that seems to have helped.

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 01:00:06 PM CST, Allan Foster via groups.io <allanpqz@...> wrote:

What software do you use to convert the document to .pdf?

Allan

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 11:41 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

I'm finishing up the Jan-Feb issue of the Old Radio Times. However, I'm finding that when I convert the original Word document to a pdf, some of the formatting changes. Most notably, lines that are spaced correctly in the Word file are on the wrong page when converted to pdf, meaning the columns don't continue properly when you're reading the text. Here's an example (pdf first, Word second). Look at the inconsistent break in the 2nd column between pdf and Word:

Hopefully this looks okay when I post. I don't know how to fix this.
Ryan

Michael Hingson

If you do all that the article will be totally inaccessible to those of us who are blind and who want to read it. I have had great success when using Word and using the utility in Word to “save as” a document in pdf.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

On 2021-02-19 12:59 PM, Allan Foster via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Joseph K Adams

I've learned a few tricks with Acrobat. If you need help for one of OTRR projects, let me know. I'll do what I can.

Joe Adams
With the big, greasy typos that guarantee freshness.

Current books available: Amazon.com and other outlets

Ryan Ellett

This is exactly what I do; I shouldn't have mentioned Acrobat. That's just the reader on my computer that opens the pdf. Somehow there are formatting changes when I save the Word document as .pdf but I think I got a clean copy now.

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 01:55:21 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

If you do all that the article will be totally inaccessible to those of us who are blind and who want to read it. I have had great success when using Word and using the utility in Word to “save as” a document in pdf.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Allan Foster

Saving from word to .pdf has improved a lot but it will sometimes have formatting issues as you have discovered.  Adobe is really powerful but really expensive.  I use Nitro PDF software to turn word to .pdf and to edit.  It is also fairly costly, around $150 for a license but worth it if you have to work in that format very often.  .PDF can be frustrating!

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 3:05 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

This is exactly what I do; I shouldn't have mentioned Acrobat. That's just the reader on my computer that opens the pdf. Somehow there are formatting changes when I save the Word document as .pdf but I think I got a clean copy now.

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 01:55:21 PM CST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

If you do all that the article will be totally inaccessible to those of us who are blind and who want to read it. I have had great success when using Word and using the utility in Word to “save as” a document in pdf.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

Michael Hingson

Adobe DC is pretty affordable, ($15/month). It is the cloud version of Acrobat Pro.

[...]

I'm telling y'all (and for the longest time I was an Adobe fanboy, made a living with it (Adobe is actually quite far with their pricing, I come from an industry where 1 program will cost you $15k, so Adobe is quite fair (even though I am not a subscription fan and that's what had me drop them)), LibreWriter with export directly to PDF or use Scribus if you want a more InDesign(Adobe layout program, MS Publisher would be Microsoft's equivalent) functionality.

All are cross platform and free as well.

Evan West

On 2021-02-19 03:51 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

Again, the difficulty with Publisher is its total lack of accessibility for some of us. While Adobe DC is cloud-based and I always am a greater fan of having software on my system, I have found DC to be usable, pretty much accessible and at least affordable as the standalone product.

There is no right or wrong system. I only urge that going forward that we all make sure that content we produce is accessible to blind persons using screen readers. This is totally possible.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

On 2021-02-19 03:51 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

I wasn't suggesting Publisher, I mentioned that so people would know the equivalent to what I was talking about.  I was recommending Scribus, which is available on ALL desktop platforms (I'm a Linux user and we usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to software availability) and is free and does not depend on a perpetually connected computer.  I don't see it getting more accessible then that.

As far as accessibility to the blind, most anything should work as long as it isn't going through a lot of steps in the conversion process.  I wouldn't "print to pdf" (or bring in scans etc), would want to export to PDF.

Evan

On 2021-02-19 03:51 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

Accessible here refers to being usable or producing material usable by blind persons with screen readers. Availability is not the issue. Usability is what usually lacks for those of us who use screen readers.

By the way, I understand that you were not suggesting Publisher. I only used it as a way to get the discussion of inclusion and access to all into the dialog.

Thanks, however, for the clarification.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

On 2021-02-19 03:51 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

To me, in that case, the end product (in this case, pdf) would be the more important aspect and if that is more accessible, not so much the "master file" use by whatever program.

Finding programs that are accessible in that means are unfortunately few and far between, certainly feature complete with all features being accessible.  It's just hard to get everything at the same level.  Scribus does have some integration for Orca that I have seen, but Orca to my knowledge is still Linux only (despite being Python based, I think it has to do with the assistance API that Orca targets, not on Windows or Mac).  Scribus my work with others on the other platforms, but the only other OS I run is Windows and that's in a VM, so testing for something like that is going to be limited.

Evan West

On 2021-02-19 03:51 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

[...]

-

For blind users with screen readers; scanned documents are not usable, picturers of text don't speak if you will. There are nongraphical
methods which should be explored first it seems to me.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, Richard Davenport wrote:

Send it as a word doc or print a copy from pdf then scan the pages as images then paste the images into a pdf. That will keep the formatting intact. Send me a clean finished copy and i will scan them into jpeg for you.

???

--
XR

Wild West Designs

Absolutely correct.  That's why it's best to use a program that exports directly to PDF without finalizing it in a true sense.

Typically scans take pictures and put that into the pdf container.  No ability do use other effects either (page turns, hyperlinks, indexing etc), which is not applicable to this discussion, but just something else to keep in mind.  It just depends on how "rich" you want that pdf target to be.

Evan