From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 7:06 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Another idea

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,
Ryan

Larry Gassman

Yes, I think this would work, although I believe meeting and exchanging ideas should be explored as perhaps a quarterly occurrence and should be pursued no matter what the reason.

A new released radio series is a good reason as well.

Perhaps at some point structure should also be explored so that maybe topics about OTRR could be part of the meeting which may also result in new volunteers for OTRR tasks.

Larry

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,

Ryan, your message raises a couple of thoughts of my own.  First, I have been back with the group for about a year and a half and do not remember Brian or anyone else making a link available to any new Maintained sets.  Could it be that no new Maintained sets have been released since 2019 or earlier?

Also, I think your idea about a group meeting, probably on Zoom, when a new Maintained set does become available is a very good one.  I would like to see an hour-long presentation by David or one or more of his team members when the CBSRMT Maintained set is ready for release, which I think is supposed to be very soon.  The best part would be if excerpts were played from some of the best episodes.  There could even be a quiz allowing participants to try to identify each episode as an excerpt from it is played.  The MWOTRC monthly meetings all have a quiz, and they are so much fun!  Some of the CBSRMT shows are so familiar that most fans of the series could probably identify the episode title correctly if given a hint or two.

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,

Larry, thanks for your thoughts.
As far as the recently released Maintained sets, here is what we put out last year (2020):

Counterspy v. 2001

The Clyde Beatty Show v. 2001

Rocky Fortune v. 2001

The Weird Circle v. 2004

Broadway’s My Beat v. 2004

The Adventures of Philip Marlowe v. 2005

The Danny Kaye Show v. 2006

My Friend Irma v. 2006

Firefighters v. 2007

Jeff Regan, Investigator v. 2007

Life with Luigi v. 2008

Tales of the Texas Rangers v. 2009

Mr. District Attorney v. 2010

Mr. Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons v. 2010

Hopalong Cassidy v. 2011

Family Doctor v. 2012

I believe they are all available on our Archive.org page courtesy of Dave Tysver. Brian Kavenaugh posts a link to a Dropbox when they are initially released. We've only had two sets this year, The Anderson Family and then just a couple days ago an update to The Danny Kaye Show. The links are also posted in the distro group page.

As to the idea of something like a monthly meeting like the real OTR clubs have, I like it but it's a matter of finding volunteers willing to help put a program together every month. I can't take that on. My thinking is that maybe doing some more online activities like low-key meet-ups and some Maintained Series premiers may build interest in a more robust series of video conferencing events.

On Sunday, May 23, 2021, 08:57:30 AM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Walden Hughes

Hi,

When the new releases are posted to the public is their any way to down load all of the files in one batch rather than one show at a time?  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Brian Kavanaugh

Walden,

Lately I have been sharing the zip file containing the release - as that's how it is sent to me. Probably the last four releases or so. So, yes, just download the single zip file from the Dropbox, OneDrive or pCloud link I provide.

Larry,

If you search this group for the #new-distro tag, you'll see my last several posts when new releases are announced. But yes, you need to go to the distro group to download them (and the link to that group is in each announcement).

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:35 AM Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

[...]

Phil Becker

I agree with Ryan here that building this slowly is the right move.  That avoids burnout or loss of interest and allows for assessing the interest over time in more.

[...]

Do we have some sort of a maintain spreadsheet of information on all the shows we have maintained or shows in general? I have a pretty expensive spreadsheet I have built over the years that can easily be expanded with more topic information and columns about shows. There was a way to share the spreadsheet so people can come in and add information and edit existing information if they were invited to do so by a login of some sort.Would this interest anybody?

RickWould this interest anybody?

[...]

All the series that have been released are listed on the Web site.

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:
[...]

John Nicholson

I would be interested in Meeting on Zoom to celebrate whatever.

John Nicholson

On May 23, 2021, at 3:13 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes!!

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,

This sounds a lot like our OTRRPedia, unless I'm misunderstanding what this spreadsheet would be.

On Sunday, May 23, 2021, 5:47:23 PM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Yes!!

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,

The difference is with a spreadsheet like an Excel you can see a lot more information about a lot more places and things in one place the OTRR Pedia thing is a great idea but you could only search for one thing at a time. I’m also able to hop to the show I’m looking about very quickly and add or update information about the shows.

It would just be a way for people that like spreadsheet to cooperate together to create a database.

On May 23, 2021, at 6:40 PM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick, I just clicked on the OTRRPedia link and did not see how to edit an entry.  I have never liked it, and do not think many people use it.  If your spreadsheet is easy to edit, you might post a link to it and members who want to use it can do so.  I have a lot of OTR episodes that are not in the OTRR Library, and would like to have a way to enter information about them directly into a database like yours.

Thank you.

Building off the interest expressed for some more virtual meet-ups in the future, would there be much interest in any sort of a live virtual "release party" when we make a new Maintained set available. I'm thinking like a short 10-15 minute presentation about the series and the contents of the set and then a group listen to a representative episode from the series. Again, nothing too formal, but a little more than the usual release procedure which is basically Brian Kavanaugh making the link available to the group. Maybe it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I could see it being a bit of fun and a way to maybe spark interest in some of the series. Then, at the end of the presentation we'd make the link available to attendees before posting it, as usual, to the group.io page.
Just a thought,

Evan, I would like to see a link to that if you have one.