Topics

archives

Walden Hughes

Hi Everybody,

Such good news that a group has archives many of the emails.  I hope we can    make a complete set and have them on-line some where.  Take care,

Walden

Larry Maupin

Hi Walden,

I did not know that you are a member of this group because I don't recall seeing any posts from you in the past.  If you recently joined, welcome. For some reason I associate you with The Shadow.  Did you write a book or an article on it or perhaps feature it on a radio show that you hosted? If you have a favorite episode of The Shadow I would like to know the date and title and why it is your favorite so I can use it in the next curated collection I put together.

While I am on that subject, I'm happy to report to Bill and Mike that I found the episode of Jack Benny that you nominated and it is the first confirmed episode that will be included in the collection of "Most Memorable Episodes of Best Known Old-Time Radio Series."  The title is "Christmas Shopping" and the broadcast date is December 19, 1948.  That is the date of the program that one of you described as "Mel Blanc Kills Himself," and that is one of the best titles I have ever seen.  What OTR fan would not like to hear an episode with that title?  

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: OldTimeRadioResearchers@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday December 12 2020 5:02:29AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] archives

Hi Everybody,

Such good news that a group has archives many of the emails.  I hope we can    make a complete set and have them on-line some where.  Take care,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

Walden Hughes

Hi Larry,

I just join.   thanks too our friend Ryan post on the OTR digeist.  I have hosted radio shows about the Shadow on YUSA over the years, and I have produce old time radio conventions with a Shadow re-creations.    One of my favorite Shadow is from 1948 where robbers get on a train and want to find jewels.  I do not recall the title at the moment.  This was one of the first show I obtain on 8 track tape around 1976.  Take care,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 7:39 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io' <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] archives

Hi Walden,

I did not know that you are a member of this group because I don't recall seeing any posts from you in the past.  If you recently joined, welcome. For some reason I associate you with The Shadow.  Did you write a book or an article on it or perhaps feature it on a radio show that you hosted? If you have a favorite episode of The Shadow I would like to know the date and title and why it is your favorite so I can use it in the next curated collection I put together.

While I am on that subject, I'm happy to report to Bill and Mike that I found the episode of Jack Benny that you nominated and it is the first confirmed episode that will be included in the collection of "Most Memorable Episodes of Best Known Old-Time Radio Series."  The title is "Christmas Shopping" and the broadcast date is December 19, 1948.  That is the date of the program that one of you described as "Mel Blanc Kills Himself," and that is one of the best titles I have ever seen.  What OTR fan would not like to hear an episode with that title?  

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: OldTimeRadioResearchers@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Saturday December 12 2020 5:02:29AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] archives

Hi Everybody,

Walden

--
Larry Maupin

Ryan Ellett

Interestingly, in the latest Digest Bob Burnham posted links to the archives of the "issues" from 2001 and 2002. One 2001 issue contained a question I asked (I was very new to the hobby then) and Walden was the first person to respond. 
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

On Saturday, December 12, 2020, 06:16:45 PM CST, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

I just join.   thanks too our friend Ryan post on the OTR digeist.  I have hosted radio shows about the Shadow on YUSA over the years, and I have produce old time radio conventions with a Shadow re-creations.    One of my favorite Shadow is from 1948 where robbers get on a train and want to find jewels.  I do not recall the title at the moment.  This was one of the first show I obtain on 8 track tape around 1976.  Take care,

Walden

Walden Hughes

Wow,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2020 4:27 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

Interestingly, in the latest Digest Bob Burnham posted links to the archives of the "issues" from 2001 and 2002. One 2001 issue contained a question I asked (I was very new to the hobby then) and Walden was the first person to respond. 

Ryan

The Old Time Radio Researchers

"Saving the Past for the Future"

On Saturday, December 12, 2020, 06:16:45 PM CST, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Walden

Ryan Ellett

It appears that members of the OTR Digest cumulatively have the entire run of the listserv's emails going back to its beginnings in 1999. I think this would be an ideal project for the OTRR to host because that Digest really was a central gathering point for hobbyists before we became more dispersed over different message boards and social media outlets. A few OTR performers were active on it as well, providing some final glimpses into that long-ago world. However, I have no idea how we would go about making such a massive amount of content available in a user-friendly format so that it could actually be a resource for the hobby.
Ryan

Walden Hughes

Maybe we can contact our datas friends and get an idea,

Walden

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 6:06 AM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io

It appears that members of the OTR Digest cumulatively have the entire run of the listserv's emails going back to its beginnings in 1999. I think this would be an ideal project for the OTRR to host because that Digest really was a central gathering point for hobbyists before we became more dispersed over different message boards and social media outlets. A few OTR performers were active on it as well, providing some final glimpses into that long-ago world. However, I have no idea how we would go about making such a massive amount of content available in a user-friendly format so that it could actually be a resource for the hobby.
Ryan