Audacity alternatives


Brian Kavanaugh
 

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM


Wild West Designs
 

No, actually the current version, as of 12 days ago according to their github page (version 3.0.3) is subject to telemetry.  3.0.2 is the last version that does not have telemetry installed.


Here is the post from the Audacity project stating which version would be the first one subject to this and here is the github page with releases showing what the actual version that they are on now.


It should be noted that Linux distros that are rolling release (Arch being the most well known, but Suse as well, even Debian has a rolling version) are not rolling the new versions of this program.  That should make it apparent just how bad they think of this situation.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021


On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM


Brian Kavanaugh
 

It was the current version as of the time the video was being made - which does state in the video that 3.0.2 was going to be the last version without telemetry.


On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 6:25 AM Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

No, actually the current version, as of 12 days ago according to their github page (version 3.0.3) is subject to telemetry.  3.0.2 is the last version that does not have telemetry installed.


Here is the post from the Audacity project stating which version would be the first one subject to this and here is the github page with releases showing what the actual version that they are on now.


It should be noted that Linux distros that are rolling release (Arch being the most well known, but Suse as well, even Debian has a rolling version) are not rolling the new versions of this program.  That should make it apparent just how bad they think of this situation.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021


On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM


Wild West Designs
 

That's true, but the one thing that I was worried about was this statement here:

"But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be"

Which gives the implications that it hasn't happened yet when you made that post, when indeed it had made the change a few days prior to your post.  I could have misread that, it wouldn't have been the 1st time, but that did lead to some confusion to me, so I imagine that it would have been possible to do so for others as well.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021


On 2021-08-07 06:44 AM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

It was the current version as of the time the video was being made - which does state in the video that 3.0.2 was going to be the last version without telemetry.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 6:25 AM Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

No, actually the current version, as of 12 days ago according to their github page (version 3.0.3) is subject to telemetry.  3.0.2 is the last version that does not have telemetry installed.


Here is the post from the Audacity project stating which version would be the first one subject to this and here is the github page with releases showing what the actual version that they are on now.


It should be noted that Linux distros that are rolling release (Arch being the most well known, but Suse as well, even Debian has a rolling version) are not rolling the new versions of this program.  That should make it apparent just how bad they think of this situation.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021


On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM




Tom G.
 

I'm a Linux user. Specifically Linux Mint Cinnamon which is a Ubuntu variant. The Linux repositories are often behind a few versions. The version I have loaded on my computer is 2.2.3. My needs are simple and this version is working fine for me. I'll stick with it as long as it works.


Wild West Designs
 

Linux user here as well (Ubuntu Studio).  Even the Arch distros though aren't rolling out the latest and "greatest" due to this.  That tells you just how things are considered in the open source world in general.
 
 
 
---

Evan West


On 2021-09-15 08:17 PM, Tom G. via groups.io wrote:

I'm a Linux user. Specifically Linux Mint Cinnamon which is a Ubuntu variant. The Linux repositories are often behind a few versions. The version I have loaded on my computer is 2.2.3. My needs are simple and this version is working fine for me. I'll stick with it as long as it works.