https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM

Wild West Designs

No, actually the current version, as of 12 days ago according to their github page (version 3.0.3) is subject to telemetry.  3.0.2 is the last version that does not have telemetry installed.

Here is the post from the Audacity project stating which version would be the first one subject to this and here is the github page with releases showing what the actual version that they are on now.

It should be noted that Linux distros that are rolling release (Arch being the most well known, but Suse as well, even Debian has a rolling version) are not rolling the new versions of this program.  That should make it apparent just how bad they think of this situation.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021

On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM

Brian Kavanaugh

It was the current version as of the time the video was being made - which does state in the video that 3.0.2 was going to be the last version without telemetry.

On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM

Wild West Designs

That's true, but the one thing that I was worried about was this statement here:

"But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be"

Which gives the implications that it hasn't happened yet when you made that post, when indeed it had made the change a few days prior to your post.  I could have misread that, it wouldn't have been the 1st time, but that did lead to some confusion to me, so I imagine that it would have been possible to do so for others as well.

---

On 2021-08-04 06:38 PM, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io wrote:

Since this has been brought up a few times, here's one person's recommendations for alternatives. Some of them I had heard of, some I had not. Of note: the *current* version of Audacity is fine. But, if they don't reverse course, then the next version may not be.

https://youtu.be/uHbznWB1beM

Tom G.

I'm a Linux user. Specifically Linux Mint Cinnamon which is a Ubuntu variant. The Linux repositories are often behind a few versions. The version I have loaded on my computer is 2.2.3. My needs are simple and this version is working fine for me. I'll stick with it as long as it works.

Wild West Designs

Linux user here as well (Ubuntu Studio).  Even the Arch distros though aren't rolling out the latest and "greatest" due to this.  That tells you just how things are considered in the open source world in general.

---

Evan West

On 2021-09-15 08:17 PM, Tom G. via groups.io wrote:

I'm a Linux user. Specifically Linux Mint Cinnamon which is a Ubuntu variant. The Linux repositories are often behind a few versions. The version I have loaded on my computer is 2.2.3. My needs are simple and this version is working fine for me. I'll stick with it as long as it works.

Wild West Designs

I found another alternative to Audacity, but this one is quite a bit different.

It is called Bespoke.  It is talked about more for music (but most DAWs are), I have just started to mess around with it yesterday.  It is a different paradigm to Audacity (and the other more "mature" audio programs).  It is node based more then it is timeline based (that my be a deal breaker for some, I have gotten used to it, because Blender uses it lot like that as well, nodes for just about everything).

It is also openGL, meaning it uses an immediate mode gui versus the traditional retained mode.  While it will look the same on all platforms, it won't look native to any one of them.  While that doesn't bother me again (I actually use SDL and Raylib for my games and programs which makes use of openGL), it is something worth mentioning.

It does allow for VST plugins, I don't know if it's specific to any one platform or if it's for all.  For instance, with Ardour it appears to only able to host VST plugins on the Windows version.

While I do enjoy Ardour as an alternative to Audacity (Ardour is a fully featured DAW unlike Audacity), unfortunately, it uses the GTK toolkit (as does Mint and even Audacity as it uses wxWidgets, which is based off GTK) and apparently that project has gotten under fire lately (for those that use Linux, if you have heard of Solus, they are actually switching away from it to another toolkit for their flagship Budgie addition and deprecating their Gnome edition with the next release).  I have to wonder what is going to happen there.  Maybe nothing, but I am hedging my bets.

Anyway, I thought I would mention it as another potential tool to use.  It is very, very different.  Just keep that in mind if want to try it out.

Bill Clough

Has anyone tried DarkAudacity?
http://www.darkaudacity.com/download.html

On 9/25/2021 12:17 PM, Wild West Designs wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't based on their github page.  Last commit was in 2019.  Now, of course, I think we have all used programs that have gone "stale" with regard to active development, but with something like this, I would try to go with a "fresher" fork of Audacity, if still wanting to go with Audacity as a base.

---

Evan West