Audacity at it Again

Wild West Designs

I know I mentioned a while ago about Audacity being bought and how they started to have an opt out (in my mind things like this should always be opt in, but I digress) data collection.  Well it appears that they have a new terms of service were it makes me a little more concerned with what they are planning to do with that data (speculation on my part sure, but I've just been around the block too many times not to think something is sus.).

In my mind, audio software should not collect telemetry (well really any software, have user forums, jira, bugzilla, github to file issues if there are any).  Especially given the fact that this is audio recording software.

For those that use Audacity that may be concerned about their new direction, may want to stay on an older version of Audacity as long as you can or at least until a fork happens (as popular as Audacity is, I would say that there would be a fork of it).

There is also the option of FFMPEG as well.  That's the direction that I went with.  While FFMPEG is a CLI program, I wrote a GUI wrapper user Godot with all the options that I needed.  Since it is an immediate mode GUI a little heavy on the resources, but not as bad as one would think (thanks to low processor mode), but that is just another option and a project that has been around for a loooonnngggg time as well (handbrake, vlc, blender all use ffmpeg under the hood, so it is a capable lib to use).

Just thought I would let everyone know.

--

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of May 2nd 2021

Joe Webb

Thanks very much for the heads up!
I use Audacity constantly
Perhaps this project will be like when OpenOffice branched into OO and LibreOffice... the latter of which has been more independent and better run

--

Wild West Designs

I would be very surprised if that didn't happen.  Audacity has already been forked about 1500 times over its lifespan.  As popular as it is, I would imagine at least one of those forks making it.

I just thought I would mention it as I knew a few people used it and ever since it was bought, the first, and so far only, meaningful change has been telemetry.  Ironically due to that, the also have to limit the age of the users that use the software,  as some jurisdictions have age limits and data collection and who is able to give consent.  Which tends to go against FOSS licenses, but this is coming from a nonlawyer, so take that for what it is worth.

This is the example of one of the many good things about open source.  Imagine if this happened with Audition or SoundBooth(and I was a fan of both), fat chance of being able to do anything with those except lump it or move on to a totally different software that may have the same issue.

---

On 2021-07-06 06:31 AM, Joe Webb via groups.io wrote:

Thanks very much for the heads up!
I use Audacity constantly
Perhaps this project will be like when OpenOffice branched into OO and LibreOffice... the latter of which has been more independent and better run

--

Dan

Ive been using Goldwave for many years. Audacity and i never ever got along
Dan

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan

Wild West Designs

Dan:

I can certainly understand that.  There are times that even simple microphone input has been a little bit quirky, frustrating in other words.  I have to wonder if it was related to a distro that I was on though as well.  Also partly why when all the telemetry kerfuffle started to happen, I just wrapped FFMPEG with a Godot GUI (I also did this with FFPlay (a simple player that is also a part of FFMPEG) to handle OTR stream stations that I like) to make it easier to use FFMPEG for when I am just needing simple recordings.  I may go back and make it as much of a DAW as I can later on as well, I dunno.  Just depends on if I am able to muddle through things.  For those that are doing audio/video, FFMPEG is a good library of audio/video tools to have.  Only bad thing for most is that it is a CLI set of tools, why I wrapped it up in a GUI, to help hide having to type out all those commands every time that I needed to do so.

The clear favorite it looks like for an alternative that most of the people that I hear from appears to be this one here.  Right now, they do not have any pre-built binaries available, but that is on their roadmap.  More then likely (but I am speculating), they are wanting to get rid of all of the telemetry bits first, before having any release.  That may be one to bookmark (or setup to watch if have a Github account) and see how that fairs down the line.  Still able to use any older version of Audacity that "you" may have, but I do believe any future release now will have that telemetry.

---