Topics

Audition Recording of "Amazing Mr. Smith"

Larry Maupin

Broadcast Date: Tuesday, November 5, 1946.  CBS from Hollywood.

Episode Title: "The Hooting Owl"

Cast: Alan Johnson as Jeffrey Smith, Ed Brophy as Herbie.

Premise: Jeffrey Smith is wealthy and carefree, and lives in Beverly Hills.  In this episode he goes adventuring one Friday evening with his manservant Herbie, "speeding up the Pacific Highway toward Loon Point, a small peninsula jutting out into the Pacific north of Santa Barbara."  They are invited guests of Patricia Gilmore, who lives in a gloomy mansion, and become involved in a murder case.  This sounds a lot like a skit from an episode of "Abbott and Costello," and even more like one of their old movies.

Larry, I don't know if you're on our Facebook group but if you are, you could post these summaries there as well and get a "huge" audience.

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 08:45:42 AM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Broadcast Date: Tuesday, November 5, 1946.  CBS from Hollywood.

Episode Title: "The Hooting Owl"

Cast: Alan Johnson as Jeffrey Smith, Ed Brophy as Herbie.

Premise: Jeffrey Smith is wealthy and carefree, and lives in Beverly Hills.  In this episode he goes adventuring one Friday evening with his manservant Herbie, "speeding up the Pacific Highway toward Loon Point, a small peninsula jutting out into the Pacific north of Santa Barbara."  They are invited guests of Patricia Gilmore, who lives in a gloomy mansion, and become involved in a murder case.  This sounds a lot like a skit from an episode of "Abbott and Costello," and even more like one of their old movies.

Ryan, thank you for the suggestion.  I like the sound of the word "huge," but lack the knowledge and means of displaying video images online so have never had a Facebook account.  But I am very happy with the size of the audience my summaries receive in our OTRR groups.

By the way, I noticed that 190 people have now viewed the "Collection of Unique Old-Time Radio Episodes" that you uploaded to the Internet Archive. That is a modest number so far but I have visions of 1,000 and beyond in days to come.  Thank you very much for doing that.

[...]

I understand, Larry. Give it time, the audience will grow slow and steady over time. One of our first released sets, In the Name of the Law, is approaching 8,000 views since 2004. And that is by no means a popular series but that's 500 views a year on average, one a day!

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 05:43:01 PM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

That is so true Ryan.  Many years ago I happened to be the first person to write a review of the complete broadcast day aired on WJSV-Washington, D.C. on September 21, 1939.  Many more reviews followed, and the last time I looked several thousand people had viewed the collection.

On that subject, I have three more summaries to write on the series of audition recordings that I am working on, and I am not sure that these will be good candidates to be placed on the Archive as a set.  The reason is that they have already been digitized, and as a couple of our members have pointed out most if not all of them are already in the Singles and Doubles collection.  If you have an opinion on that I would like to hear it.

Thank you!

[...]

I don't feel strongly either way, Larry. I don't know that the singles-and-doubles collection gets much attention so it never hurts to make some of these more obscure programs available in multiple locations

On Sunday, August 2, 2020, 08:38:56 AM CDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan, I expect to upload the fifteen episodes on Wednesday and send a link to you and several other members who have requested them.  The audio quality is very good in most of them, and they do span a number of genres.  The best are probably the musical programs such as The Record Collectors, The Tommy Sosebee Show (WSM-Nashville), and Columbia's Country Caravan (KRLD-Dallas).  Listeners who are familiar with Buffalo, New York may enjoy Your Hometown Reporter because of its many references to what the city was like in 1948.  Some of the shows are very funny in places and can produce a good laugh, among those being Violence with its Walter Mitty like character who finally erupts into a  homicidal rage after suppressing his emotions throughout a lifetime.  He reminds me of the character on The Carol Burnette Show who seethes with anger every year while preparing his tax return and is constantly interrupted by his wife until he finally explodes.

After reading your comment, I would like to see the episodes placed on the Archive as a set and perhaps just titled "Audition Recordings of Rare Old-Time Radio Programs."  The fact that some of these probably never aired and that there are only one or two surviving episodes of the ones that did certainly qualifies them, I think, to be described as rare.  If you will upload them I will write a review based on the notes I have taken from the episode summaries.

Please let me know what you think after you have received and evaluated them.