From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2023 7:27 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Bio volunteers

I could use biographies for the following stars: Louise Erickson, John Brown, Dix Davis and Helen Mack. Do I have some volunteers interested in tackling them? No more than a page with an emphasis on their radio work. Let me know!
Ryan

Walden Hughes

John, Larry and I have recorded many interview with Dix Davis and Louse Erickson over the years,

Walden

I could use biographies for the following stars: Louise Erickson, John Brown, Dix Davis and Helen Mack. Do I have some volunteers interested in tackling them? No more than a page with an emphasis on their radio work. Let me know!
Ryan

Bob Stepno

Hi Ryan,

Do you have anyone doing Helen Mack? Looks like she was a lifelong friend of Aleen Leslie, who (I read in more than one place, but now can't find one of them) had her in mind when she created Judy, but made her the radio show's producer because she was too old to play the part when the series began. Instead, Mack became the first woman producer-director on network radio at the time, according to Hal Erickson.

Newspaper-centric as ever, I remembered Mack's name only as the actress who plays the streetwalker in "His Girl Friday" and so mentioned her in a JHeroes post about one "Judy" episode earlier today.

Her NYTimes obit is quite thin about her radio career, but says she was living with Leslie at the time of her death. Here's a "gift" link if someone else is writing her bio for you and could use it:

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/08/16/obituaries/helen-mack-72-an-actress-in-silent-and-talking-movies.html?unlocked_article_code=t2CKvwHftRnSSWYtPI4YO0jRVuPtiM3_U-Ato59Vvw284bl_WSwvaU54QFb4RXDus5bcdJiWSwe30O9dNpu37b8pfLww4xNJ6l6P7R3cIX9emb2tBmPKBpYco1mh1FKiVIRZwSund9yovSqwpel5kybCRK4wQ_YtYkYGDWNPH8HgsA8NB8xZIn73tlo4wYDE1chZWwjXpcmyy2sVbrfsnvmo37wG2NiVmOua6drIcE_Is3rMrZGkZoWg_5cXufhXJ3du4KrpCstysIqVmPN0ZVMGApe7aZJq48n8XCXoe1RmogsJnVfwPAkOvtwW4ge1Gu6zkY2fwRiAkKEOz3qjFD13Dpv1qxx7uvo7ljlel-GDUZ9cgERrJ5hQoNn4uAmM4L0&smid=url-share

LA Times, Variety and other industry-specific pubs probably did a better job, but I'm not a subscriber or well setup for online research right now.

Wikipedia is much better on her career in both film and radio...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Mack

There's also a write-up, which Google and I were able to access a couple of paragraphs of , in

From Radio to the Big Screen: Hollywood Films Featuring Broadcast ...

By Hal Erickson

But Mack had quite the long and classy radio career listed in RadioGoldindex, from 1936 to 1970!

http://radiogoldin.library.umkc.edu/Home/RadioGoldin_Records?searchString=Mack,%20Helen&type=Artists&count=107

A single Lux episode ("producer, director, performer"), A Date with Judy, Richard Diamond, The Saint, and more.

So, feel free to pass these links along to anyone else who has followed Helen Mack and Aleen Leslie for more than a couple of hours! They sound like a couple of fascinating women. Wish I knew more or had better access to other obits, etc.

In any case, thanks for putting more of Judy online... I'm curious about a few more newspaper-related episodes that Goldin mentioned. I felt like I was doing a bit of Gaslighting to stretch the one I had into a JHeroes post...

https://jheroes.com/2023/02/15/celebrity-interview-goes-wrong/

Ryan Ellett

Thanks, Bob. I'm writing Leslie's because I included her previously in my book on OTR authors. Hopefully your links will be helpful to whoever ends up writing about Helen Mack (I keep thinking Nila Mack).

On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 at 02:27:53 PM CST, Bob@... <bob@...> wrote:

[...]

From Radio to the Big Screen: Hollywood Films Featuring Broadcast ...

[...]

Walden, are they available for listening? I found very little on either once they grew out of child actor age.
Ryan

Walden Hughes

Hi Ryan,

Larry, john and I have them,

Let me check to see if we can send them to you,

Walden

Walden, are they available for listening? I found very little on either once they grew out of child actor age.
Ryan

Rodney Bowcock

I’d be interested in writing something up on Louise Erickson, but, like Ryan, I was hesitant to volunteer due to a lack of information available.

Rodney

On Feb 19, 2023, at 10:13 PM, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Larry, john and I have them,

Let me check to see if we can send them to you,

Walden

Walden, are they available for listening? I found very little on either once they grew out of child actor age.
Ryan

Larry Gassman

I am sending some interviews today.

Larry

Walden, are they available for listening? I found very little on either once they grew out of child actor age.
Ryan

Walden Hughes

Thank you