If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

I checked three of these and they were duplicates of what is already in our set:
#1 is #11 of the proposed Maintained set
#3 is #13 of the proposed Maintained set
#10 is #35 of the proposed Maintained set

I'm not sure there is a new episode here. Rick, I couldn't tell from your email which ones you identified as audio upgrades. Those three above sounded the same to me, but my ears and laptop speakers are not the best. One was bigger but likely because it's stereo and not mono.

Others are free to take a listen and add their two cents.

On Saturday, January 8, 2022, 09:47:07 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

I threw my Black Flame series into a RAR file and sent it to Pcloud.  Some of these are upgrades to the ones from the OTRR library.
If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

Jim Wood

Thanks Rick!

Jim

I threw my Black Flame series into a RAR file and sent it to Pcloud.  Some of these are upgrades to the ones from the OTRR library.

If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

Black Flame Of The Amazon (1938).rar - Shared with pCloud

Keep, share and access your files whenever you need from wherever you are. Create a free pCloud account and make...

Brian Kavanaugh

I went through all of them and compared them to the proposed set. There are a lot of mislabeled shows. There are two possible sound upgrades. The one labeled as episode 1 (really episode 11) is at a higher bitrate. That said, when I compare it to the version we have using Spec, the files look identical. The more promising one is #36. It is also a higher bitrate, and it looks cleaner/fuller in Spec than our version. Someone might want to listen to both of them and see what they think, as I don't think I'm a great judge of that, either.

1. Same as 11, may be a slight upgrade
3. Same as 13
4. Same as 15
5. Same as 21
6. Same as 21
7. Same as 22
8. Same as 31
9. Same as 34
10. Same as 35
11. Correct
12. Correct
13. Correct
14. Same as 39
15.  Correct
16. Same as 41
17. Same as 42
18. Same as 43
19. Same as 53
20. Same as 54
21. Correct
22. Correct
23. Correct
24. Same as 58
25. Same as 56
26. Same as 60
27. Same as 62
28. Same as 63
29. Same as 76
31. Correct
34. Correct
35. Correct
36. Correct. Probably a sound upgrade
37. Correct
38. Correct
39. Correct
40. Correct
41. Correct
42. Correct
43. Correct
53. Correct
54. Correct
55. Correct
56. Correct
57. Same as 59
58. Correct
59. Correct
60. Correct
62. Correct
63. Correct
76. Correct

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 2:38 AM Jim Wood <Jim@...> wrote:

Thanks Rick!

Jim

I threw my Black Flame series into a RAR file and sent it to Pcloud.  Some of these are upgrades to the ones from the OTRR library.

If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

Black Flame Of The Amazon (1938).rar - Shared with pCloud

Keep, share and access your files whenever you need from wherever you are. Create a free pCloud account and make...

Hey Brian...  What is SPEC?    Is it an audio tool?

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022, 10:13 AM Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian=briankavanaugh.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, though I mistyped it. Spek, not Spec.  Spek – Free Acoustic Spectrum Analyzer / Spectrogram Viewer

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 10:36 AM Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!   I'll check it out.

Bob

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022, 11:38 AM Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian=briankavanaugh.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'm a bit surprised there's a difference in any of them; it wouldn't surprise me if all the digital copies floating around originated from the same source recording at some point. It's not a popular show and I can't imagine numerous versions were digitized from tapes and reels back in the day.

On Sunday, January 9, 2022, 09:13:19 AM CST, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Gassman

We dubbed them for SPERDVAC in the 90’s.  They were donations.
What you have is what we had with tons of gaps.

Larry

I threw my Black Flame series into a RAR file and sent it to Pcloud.  Some of these are upgrades to the ones from the OTRR library.

If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

Black Flame Of The Amazon (1938).rar - Shared with pCloud

Keep, share and access your files whenever you need from wherever you are. Create a free pCloud account and make...

Brian Kavanaugh

It looks like there are possibly two or three digital sources for the files in the proposed set: (1) one that recorded them at 192 kbps (the files that are around 20 mb; one - #41 - is two channels), (2) one that recorded them at 128 kbps (the 14 mb files) and (3) one that recorded them at 64 kbps (the 7 mb files). That said, it's quite possible that at least the smallest ones and possibly all of them are from the same source and were re-encoded at lower bit rates along the way to reduce the file size.
  • 192 kbps - 5 files (plus two from Richard that are both two channels, though one of them doesn't otherwise appear to be any different than the 128 kbps mono version)
  • 128 kbps - 17 files
  • 64 kbps - 7 files
It doesn't appear the two two-channel files affect the file size, which I suppose makes sense, since the original recordings wouldn't have been in stereo. A lot of Richard's mislabeled duplicates are two-channel files (though the correctly labeled one is not - an example is #10/#35). Maybe how the source presented them? At least some of them have tags indicating they came from otrnow.com.

Most of the 192 kbps files have a greater audio range than the 128 kbps files, indicating they really were recorded at a higher bitrate originally - rather than re-encoded at a higher rate after the information was already lost due to a lower bitrate original recording.

image.png

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 10:15 PM Larry Gassman <larrygassman1@...> wrote:

We dubbed them for SPERDVAC in the 90’s.  They were donations.
What you have is what we had with tons of gaps.

Larry

I threw my Black Flame series into a RAR file and sent it to Pcloud.  Some of these are upgrades to the ones from the OTRR library.

If any has the missing ones please let me known.

Here is the Pcloud link...

Black Flame Of The Amazon (1938).rar - Shared with pCloud

Keep, share and access your files whenever you need from wherever you are. Create a free pCloud account and make...

Hey Brian,   I like the way Spek works!   I don't mean to interrupt the Blame Flame discussion, but I found another audio tool to check lossless file types to see if they have been upsampled from an mp3!   Here's an example shot...   The top file sounded very "weak" to my ears and the software confirmed my suspicion.

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

image.png
Bob

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:20 AM Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian=briankavanaugh.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Oh, nice! That will be helpful...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 8:47 AM Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob, I'm not understanding how to interpret the software result you shared. Does the term "Unsampled" mean it was a lossy format turned into a .wav?

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 08:47:28 AM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

Hey Brian,   I like the way Spek works!   I don't mean to interrupt the Blame Flame discussion, but I found another audio tool to check lossless file types to see if they have been upsampled from an mp3!   Here's an example shot...   The top file sounded very "weak" to my ears and the software confirmed my suspicion.

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

image.png
Bob

Yes Ryan...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, 2:15 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bob, I'm not understanding how to interpret the software result you shared. Does the term "Unsampled" mean it was a lossy format turned into a .wav?

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 08:47:28 AM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

Hey Brian,   I like the way Spek works!   I don't mean to interrupt the Blame Flame discussion, but I found another audio tool to check lossless file types to see if they have been upsampled from an mp3!   Here's an example shot...   The top file sounded very "weak" to my ears and the software confirmed my suspicion.

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Bob

I should add using Spek verified that result showing reduced bandwidth of that wave file.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, 2:15 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bob, I'm not understanding how to interpret the software result you shared. Does the term "Unsampled" mean it was a lossy format turned into a .wav?

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 08:47:28 AM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

Hey Brian,   I like the way Spek works!   I don't mean to interrupt the Blame Flame discussion, but I found another audio tool to check lossless file types to see if they have been upsampled from an mp3!   Here's an example shot...   The top file sounded very "weak" to my ears and the software confirmed my suspicion.

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Bob

Richard Davenport

Everything I have came from the OTRR site and archive.org.  For the sake of my accuracy, could the more learned and aware folks here help to correct the files I have?   If I understand correctly there are other sources out there that have more of the same files but possible improvements?  I indicated the ones that were missing in the series with NEED.  Maybe these can be located and that there are others that are missing in reality.   Since per that newspaper article we know the date of a first broadcast as well as the frequency, could we potentially add dates to the files?

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 01:23:57 PM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

I should add using Spek verified that result showing reduced bandwidth of that wave file.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, 2:15 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bob, I'm not understanding how to interpret the software result you shared. Does the term "Unsampled" mean it was a lossy format turned into a .wav?

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 08:47:28 AM CST, Bob Merritt <bobmerritt58@...> wrote:

Hey Brian,   I like the way Spek works!   I don't mean to interrupt the Blame Flame discussion, but I found another audio tool to check lossless file types to see if they have been upsampled from an mp3!   Here's an example shot...   The top file sounded very "weak" to my ears and the software confirmed my suspicion.

https://losslessaudiochecker.com/

image.png
Bob

Ryan Ellett

This was a transcribed series so episode dates would only reflect one particular market. It aired at different times and days in different places. An individual could add dates to their files but the plan now is not to attach dates to this series.

On Monday, January 10, 2022, 02:02:56 PM CST, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

Everything I have came from the OTRR site and archive.org.  For the sake of my accuracy, could the more learned and aware folks here help to correct the files I have?   If I understand correctly there are other sources out there that have more of the same files but possible improvements?  I indicated the ones that were missing in the series with NEED.  Maybe these can be located and that there are others that are missing in reality.   Since per that newspaper article we know the date of a first broadcast as well as the frequency, could we potentially add dates to the files?

Brian Kavanaugh

Rick,

You have the same files as are in the set - with possibly one or two sound upgrades. All the others are mislabeled (I listed previously what your number was versus the actual episode, e.g., "3. same as 13"). It doesn't sound like any of the other of the 225 total episodes are currently known to exist. That doesn't mean that more aren't out there in someone's collection somewhere, but with a mostly regional show that doesn't appear to have been very popular with collectors, it is not as likely. Larry did mention they dubbed them for SPERDVAC in the 90s (a donation). So, it is possible there are different recordings, but all - or mostly - from the same original source material.

It does look like the mislabeled episodes have been floating around for a long time. Looking in Otter, I see most if not all of them listed there without any real title attached to them.

So, it appears this is the current state of this series:

1-10: missing
11-13: extant, in OTRR set
14: missing
15: extant, in OTRR set
16-20: missing
21-23: extant, in OTRR set
24-30: missing
31: extant, in OTRR set
32-33: missing
34-43: extant, in OTRR set
44-52: missing
53-56: extant, in OTRR set
57: missing
58-60: extant, in OTRR set
61: missing
62-63: extant, in OTRR set
64-75: missing
76: extant, in OTRR set
77+: missing

Or, to list it a different way,

Extant: 11-13, 15, 21-23, 31, 34-43, 53-56, 58-60, 62-63, 76
Missing: 1-10, 14, 16-20, 24-30, 32-33, 44-52, 57, 61, 64-75, 77+

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 2:21 PM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Here's a visual comparison of the two possible upgrades. To me, the differences between "1" and 11 in the OTRR set are extremely minor, if there at all. Perhaps an audiophile can tell the difference, but I couldn't.

Rick's version of #36, though, has slightly more range to it...maybe. More importantly, though, the OTRR set version has bands where information has been removed entirely. I think this one is a definite upgrade.