Topics

Boston Blackie

Jim Jones

Last month I shared a collection of Saint movies (8) with the group. The response was somewhat overwhelming. My pCloud account was throttled due to "High Download Activity". I hope everyone finally got in, downloaded, and enjoyed all 8 movies. They are fun and easy to watch.

Last month I also said I would share my collection of Boston Blackie movies. There are 15 in the collection and like the Saint movies they are light hearted mysteries.  To try and prevent a similar overload to my pCloud account I will release the series in 3 groups of 5. Maybe 1 group each week over the next 3 weeks, depending on the response. Stay tuned.

NOTE: The first movie in the collection is a silent movie from 1927. The quality is poor and you may not want to download/watch it. The remaining 14 films star Chester Norris who also portrayed Blackie in the first year of the radio show.  (Radio show question: Who do you prefer as Blackie - Chester Norris or Richard Kollmar?)

Here is a link to the first 5 BB movies  - enjoy:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZ8WhLXZxGVHaQV8Gv7neKOyosvwELxxhsEk

Trivia Question for BB fans: What was Boston Blackie's real name?

Brian Kavanaugh

To help with bandwidth, I've copied them to mine as well. Here's the alternate link, in case Jim's get's throttled.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 9:04 AM Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Brian.
jj

[...]

BrianWest2@...

Thank you for doing this

[...]

Ryan Ellett

Do any of them happen to have a Christmas or holiday theme?

[...]

Sadly no. And it is the Christmas season. I have a collection of Classic Christmas movies (my favorite is The Bishop’s Wife), but there is no connection to OTR.

As far as OTR Christmas shows, no one mentioned Brett Poncet’s rendition of a Christmas Carol.

jj

[...]

The Six-Shooter is a classic show for me

[...]

Mark Orr

Here's a We Transfer of the Boston Blackie audiobook.

From Wikipedia:

Writer Jack Boyle grew up in Chicago, Illinois. While working as a newspaper reporter in San Francisco, he became an opium addict, was drawn into crime, and was jailed for writing bad checks. Later convicted of robbery, Boyle was serving a term in San Quentin when he created the character of Boston Blackie. The first four stories appeared in The American Magazine in 1914, with Boyle writing under the pen name "No. 6066". From 1917 to 1919, Boston Blackie stories appeared in The Red Book magazine, and from 1918 they were adapted for motion pictures.

When Boston Blackie began to find success on the screen, Boyle edited the Red Book magazine stories into a book, Boston Blackie (1919). He revised and rearranged the order of the stories to create a cohesive narrative—a common practice at the time known in publishing as a fixup. This was the only appearance of Boston Blackie in book form, but his adventures continued to appear in periodicals.

Short stories

First edition of the short story collection Boston Blackie (1919)
Year Title Publisher Publication date Notes
1914 "The Price of Principle" The American Magazine July 1914 As No. 6066
1914 "The Story About Dad Morgan" The American Magazine August 1914 As No. 6066
1914 "Death Cell Visions" The American Magazine September 1914 As No. 6066
1914 "A Thief's Daughter" The American Magazine October 1914 As No. 6066
1917 "Boston Blackie's Mary" The Red Book Magazine November 1917
1917 "The Woman Called Rita" The Red Book Magazine December 1917
1918 "Fred the Count" The Red Book Magazine January 1918
1918 "Miss Doris, Safe-Cracker" The Red Book Magazine May 1918
1918 "Boston Blackie's Little Pal" The Red Book Magazine June 1918
1918 "Alibi Ann" The Red Book Magazine July 1918
1918 "Miss Doris's 'Raffles'" The Strand Magazine August 1918
1918 "The Poppy Girl's Husband" The Red Book Magazine October 1918
1918 "A Problem in Grand Larceny" The Red Book Magazine December 1918
1919 "An Answer in Grand Larceny" The Red Book Magazine January 1919
1919 "The Third Degree" The Strand Magazine April 1919
1919 "The Daughter of Mother McGinn" Cosmopolitan June 1919
1919 "Alias Prince Charming" Cosmopolitan July 1919
1919 "Black Dan" Cosmopolitan October 1919
1919 "The Water-Cross" Cosmopolitan November 1919
1920 "Grandad's Girl" Cosmopolitan March 1920
1920 "The Face in the Fog" Cosmopolitan May 1920
1920 "The Painted Child" Cosmopolitan October 1920
1920 "Boomerang Bill" Cosmopolitan December 1920

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:08 AM Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

K & J Hammel

Thanks Jim and Brian,

Jim's downloads were already being frozen, so Brian's assist was very helpful.

Kathy

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 07:22:13 AM PST, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,

The Bishop's wife is a terrific movie... also a favorite of mine... but, I can't think of an OTR connection either.

Kathy

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 08:38:35 AM PST, Jim Jones <otr@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Hingson

There is a Lux Radio Theater version of The Bishop’s Wife.

[...]

Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...>

The Bishop’s wife was done several times on radio.

Screen Guild Theater 03/01/1948 Ep377  Bishop's Wife.

Lux Radio Theater 12/19/1949 ep682  The Bishop's Wife.

Lux Radio Theatre 05/11/1953 (828) The Bishop's Wife.

Lux Radio Theater 03/01/1955 (912) The Bishop's Wife (repeat).

Hollywood Radio Theater [AFRTS] The Bishop's Wife.

This was most likely a Lux Radio Theater renamed by AFRTS for distribution.

Larry

[...]

Larry, you are correct about the

[...]

Michael, Thanks for the reminder. You're right. I'll have to go through my Lux CDs and see if I can find it.

Kathy

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 09:44:36 AM PST, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Larry,

I should have some of these.. though much of my OTR is on CDs and I just recently started porting them over to a hard drive.. Unfortunately some of the CDs are past their prime, so not everything is working.

But, I am thinking I should be able to find a least one working version of The Bishop's Wife.

Kathy

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 09:54:22 AM PST, Larry Gassman <larrygassman@...> wrote:

[...]

The Lux Radios should all be in the OTRR set that is up on Archive.org.

On Monday, December 14, 2020, 12:04:24 PM CST, K & J Hammel <haml@...> wrote:

Thanks Larry,

I should have some of these.. though much of my OTR is on CDs and I just recently started porting them over to a hard drive.. Unfortunately some of the CDs are past their prime, so not everything is working.

But, I am thinking I should be able to find a least one working version of The Bishop's Wife.

Kathy

Walden Hughes

The Bishop,s Wife was on Lux Radio Theater in 1949 and also a screen Guild version.  Karolyn Grimes played the Little girl in the movie and she was Zuzu in the movie It,s A Wonderful Life.  Take care,

Walden

Bishop,s no. And it is the Christmas season. I have a collection of Classic Christmas movies (my favorite is The Bishop’s Wife), but there is no connection to OTR.

[...]

I have upgraded my pCloud account to a higher level, so hopefully that will help on the downloads.
jj

Jim Jones

I am not sure that 1 obscure Luz Radio Theater reference makes a real strong OTR connection! However, it is the season... and Lux did acquire a very good cast with Tyrone Power (not Cary Grant) as Dudley, David Niven - the Bishop, and Jane Greer replacing Loretta Young as Julia. Maybe the strongest OTR tie-in would be that Willard Waterman (Gildersleeve fame) portrayed  the Professor.

The show was first broadcast on 12/19/49 and repeated again on 05/11/53 and 03/01/55. For some unknown reason the re-broadcasts were not during the holiday season. (?)

So with those OTR tie-ins here is a link for The Bishop's Wife: (Cary Grant, David Niven, Loretta Young, Elsa Lanchester, Monty Woolley, James Gleason - what a cast!!)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZTDt4XZtl4SiSu1KPJQNSeEleMv7ReAgCWX

Gordon Johansen

Thanks so much for doing this Jim. I've really enjoyed the three Saint movies that I have watched so far. For some reason the first one seems to stop after about two minutes for me. Has anybody else had this issue? It might be my computer but it's odd that the file is the same size as the others but this happens while the next three were fine.

As to your question, I like both of them but something about Chester Morris's odd voice appeals to me. It's not very suave and is different from the typical radio detective. I think I've listened to that series of shows, two or three times now and it's always a little jarring when the change happens.

Gord

December 14, 2020 8:04 AM