Topics

Data base of otr shows?

James Wilson

Hello everyone,

I love otr sci-fi shows and I just found one I didn’t know about called Future Tense. Is there a database of otr shows?

Thanks in advance.

David Lee Smith

Here's one I can do: "Future Tense" is DIMENSION X.

Dimension X was an NBC radio program broadcast mostly on an unsponsored, sustaining basis from April 8, 1950 to September 29, 1951. The first 13 episodes were broadcast live, and the remainder were pre-recorded. Fred Wiehe and Edward King were the directors, and Norman Rose was heard as both announcer and narrator, opening the show with: "Adventures in time and space... told (or transcribed) in FUTURE TENSE..." For two months beginning on July 7, 1950 the series was sponsored by Wheaties. (Wikipedia)

David Lee Smith

Richard Davenport

James,
There are many databases out there.  I have a massive Excel file and others maintain online sites.  You mentioned the show Future Tense.  I have 16 shows of that series.  It may be all there is or there might be more.

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 7:01:08 PM CDT, David Lee Smith via groups.io <fourthhostcelestials@...> wrote:

Here's one I can do: "Future Tense" is DIMENSION X.

Dimension X was an NBC radio program broadcast mostly on an unsponsored, sustaining basis from April 8, 1950 to September 29, 1951. The first 13 episodes were broadcast live, and the remainder were pre-recorded. Fred Wiehe and Edward King were the directors, and Norman Rose was heard as both announcer and narrator, opening the show with: "Adventures in time and space... told (or transcribed) in FUTURE TENSE..." For two months beginning on July 7, 1950 the series was sponsored by Wheaties. (Wikipedia)

David Lee Smith

Wild West Designs

I have an electron database of OTR shows.  The original database was based off of the latest Otter db file that Jim had done before he had past.  I have modified or added some series to it, with plans of modifying others as new logs come out and to add comments etc to the database.

In my database, it has 26 episodes for Future Tense from 1974 to 1976.  16 were from 74 and the other 10 are from 76.  I'm recognizing the titles, appear to be from Dimension X and/or X Minus 1.

On 7/27/20 7:15 PM, Richard Davenport wrote:
[...]

Paul Kornman

FYI - OTRR maintains a database of OTR shows - the OTRRPedia.

Here's the URL for 'Future Tense': http://www.otrr.org/OTRRPedia/pedia.html?s=pgm&id=3935&t=0

William Davis

Here's what little I can add, since I was only lucky enough to catch two of them.  I can't say for certain if the series title was FUTURE TENSE or not.  However, I'm fairly certain that all shows were rebroadcasts from X MINUS ONE aired once a month on NBC as part of an attempt to revive OTR  in some way I think.

What also leans me towards it  being X MINUS ONE rebroadcasts are the fact that most if not all the DIMENSION X stories were re-enacted on X-1 with cast and crew being different.  Also, the FUTURE TENSE monthly series was hosted by Fred Collins, who had been the announcer and narrator of X MINUS ONE.

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 08:21:14 PM EDT, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

[...]

I've checked the URL for OTRPedia regarding FUTURE TENSE and it shows that it was a project produced for a student run radio station at University of Michigan which lasted a little over two weeks in the first part of July 1974.

The list shows 17 episodes total with what appears to be one repeat.  Of the other 16, they are probably student productions o X MINUS ONE episodes with the possible exclusion of 2-4 of them.  I was able to recognize the others.

According to OTRPedia, at one time either 16 or all 17 shows existed originally, but they re now all lost it would seem.  None of the links to audio files are working any more.

If nothing else, this proves that FUTURE TENSE can't be the same series of rebroadcasts NBC was running of X MINUS ONE at roughly the same time frame between 1974 and 1976.

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 10:06:35 AM EDT, William Davis via groups.io <lansingrailfan@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Maupin

I just listened to part of an episode that I reached by using the link in Paul Kornman's message, and it had to do with legalized murder in the future.  So apparently all the episodes can be heard using his link.  I also love that the series was locally produced, in this case in Kalamazoo, and that the opening is weird and funny and could not be confused with the opening of either X-Minus 1 or Dimension X.  I wish one of our members would write and post summaries of all the episodes and include as much local flavor as can be found in them.

[...]

A) I'll look into the links on OTRRPedia, but I just checked the Library (http://www.otrr.org/OTRRLibrary/otrrlibrary.html) and there are 16 episodes of Future Tense with links that are working.

B) Goldin has episode descriptions and I've recently come to an agreement with the University of Missouri to use data from the Goldin Collection on our sites. I'm now undergoing a very tedious process of parsing his over 80,000 records so I can sync the datasets together.

- Paul

Ryan Ellett

One of Jim's babies was the OTTER database, which is a valuable resource for those that use it. I admit I never got into using it but I know many in the group have, so maybe they can speak to its utility. I know from conversations with Jim that he put countless hours into updating it and I think was really as proud of OTTER as he was of anything OTRR had created over the years. It is still publicly accessible here. We don't have anyone actively managing it so if someone has really used it a lot and would be interested in taking a more active role with it, let me know.
Ryan

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 06:49 PM, James Wilson wrote:
Hello everyone,

I love otr sci-fi shows and I just found one I didn’t know about called Future Tense. Is there a database of otr shows?

Thanks in advance.

Wild West Designs

I have created an Electron (although I may move it on over to a more cpp base) database version and the main launchpad was the last database commits that Jim had done before he passed.  The database itself was from OTTER, I did add some extra functionality, a streaming player, a local audio player (right now that just does 1 file at a time).  But the database that it uses is based off the last one that Jim had done.

Evan