Digitizing CDs

Larry Maupin

Happy Halloween everybody!

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive?  If you know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can it be purchased?

Thank you.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Brian Kavanaugh

Pretty much any CD ripper will do it. I personally use https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/.

Larry Maupin

Thank you Brian.  I clicked on your link, but did not see a way to transfer audio files to a flash drive as they are being digitized.  I think a piece of hardware must be necessary to accomplish that, something a flash drive will plug in to like the NAXA Portable Recorder & Cassette Player I use to digitize cassettes.

I am grateful for your reply.

Larry   

-----------------------------------------

To: main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Sunday October 31 2021 11:40:18AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Digitizing CDs

Pretty much any CD ripper will do it. I personally use https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/.

--
Larry Maupin

Brian Kavanaugh

A flash drive is just a drive. You specify that as the location for the files you are ripping.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 10:51 AM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:
Thank you Brian.  I clicked on your link, but did not see a way to transfer audio files to a flash drive as they are being digitized.  I think a piece of hardware must be necessary to accomplish that, something a flash drive will plug in to like the NAXA Portable Recorder & Cassette Player I use to digitize cassettes.

Larry   

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

Phil Becker

CD Ripper software will digitize the audio and place it where  you tell it to.  I don’t know of one that won’t rip directly to a flash drive if you tell it to.  I’ve even used Windows Media Player to do this (but in that case I had to convert the output format to what I wanted after it was digitized).

CDs are already digitized, you are just copying them form the D and converting them to the format of your choice with the proper software.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:51 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'

Larry   

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

Wild West Designs

If you use Linux, quite a few distros (some Ubuntu based ones as well) have built in utilities that are able to take that raw CDA link and actually get where those files point to on the disc and just drag and drop and get a WAV file that way without having to rip it as an intermediary step.  If on Windows (or Mac), will more likely have to use ripping software to do so, but almost any of them can handle that process.

As far as transferring to a jump drive or other external drive, just set that up as your file destination with any of said programs if using a ripping software.  If on Linux, it should just be simple drag and drop if those above mentioned utilities are on the computer (as I said, your bulkier distros should have it on there as audio usage is a fairly common usage).

---

Evan West

On 2021-10-31 10:34 AM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive?  If you know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can it be purchased?

Thank you.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thanks again Brian.  My technical knowledge is not nearly as advanced as yours, I know.  To get anything done I need everything right in front of me with a simple procedure to follow so I won't become confused.  For example, when digitizing a cassette: (1) place cassette in converter; (2) insert flash drive into converter; (3) press play tab and hold down button next to it until you hear sound and flash drive begins to flash; (4) when conversion is complete, place flash drive in USB port in computer, and miraculously the converted episodes show up in your Files section!  Even I can do that, and it actually works most of the time.

Best regards,

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Sunday October 31 2021 11:55:17AM

A flash drive is just a drive. You specify that as the location for the files you are ripping.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 10:51 AM Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry   

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Phil.  I had forgotten that CDs are already digitized, so I can understand that if you place one in your computer and a flash drive in your computer at the same time, the shows on the CD will be transferred onto the flash drive.  The daunting phrase in your reply is "with the proper software."  I really appreciate your clarification.

Larry

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Sunday October 31 2021 12:05:22PM

CD Ripper software will digitize the audio and place it where  you tell it to.  I don’t know of one that won’t rip directly to a flash drive if you tell it to.  I’ve even used Windows Media Player to do this (but in that case I had to convert the output format to what I wanted after it was digitized).

CDs are already digitized, you are just copying them form the D and converting them to the format of your choice with the proper software.

From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:51 AM
To: 'main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io'

Larry   

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

Larry Maupin

Thank you Evan, and I hope all is well in beautiful Nashville.  Unfortunately I would have to hire an interpreter to follow your instructions, but your technical knowledge is probably unsurpassed even by professionals in the field.  That's something to be proud of.

Best regards,

Larry

Cc:
Sent: Sunday October 31 2021 12:05:48PM

If you use Linux, quite a few distros (some Ubuntu based ones as well) have built in utilities that are able to take that raw CDA link and actually get where those files point to on the disc and just drag and drop and get a WAV file that way without having to rip it as an intermediary step.  If on Windows (or Mac), will more likely have to use ripping software to do so, but almost any of them can handle that process.

As far as transferring to a jump drive or other external drive, just set that up as your file destination with any of said programs if using a ripping software.  If on Linux, it should just be simple drag and drop if those above mentioned utilities are on the computer (as I said, your bulkier distros should have it on there as audio usage is a fairly common usage).

---

Evan West

On 2021-10-31 10:34 AM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Thank you.

Larry

--
Larry Maupin

--
Larry Maupin

-

The cd audio files are already in digital format. Any cd/dvd drive your computer has or recognize will do. Then a simple copy command will
place the files where you choose.

On Sun, 31 Oct
2021, Larry Maupin wrote:

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio
shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive? If you
know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can
it be purchased?
Thank you.
Larry

--
ent-
XR

Larry Maupin

Thank you very much Dan.  I will try that and see what happens.

Larry 

To: "Larry Maupin"
Cc: "main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io"
Sent: Sunday October 31 2021 2:20:33PM

The cd audio files are already in digital format. Any cd/dvd drive your computer has or recognize will do. Then a simple copy command will

On Sun, 31 Oct

> Happy Halloween everybody!
> Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio
> shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive? If you
> know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can
> it be purchased?
> Thank you.
> Larry
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
ent-
XR

--
Larry Maupin

Richard Davenport

There are probably many commercial programs out there that will allow you to pull digital copies from the CDs and transfer them to a different format such as MP3s. If you need a specific name of a program you can probably get some recommendations here.

Rick

On Oct 31, 2021, at 1:20 PM, - <dandunfee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio
shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive? If you
know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can
it be purchased?
Thank you.
Larry

--
ent-
XR

John Nicholson

Larry, if you are using Windows, the CD ripper will save the mp3 files to either your hard drive (if you want to save a copy) or directly to the flash drive. Just set the save destination to wherever you want. If you save them to your hard drive, just use file manager to copy the files to your flash drive. Most CD rippers will save as WAV, FLAC, or MP3. If you are going to share them as MP3s, you should set them to a sample rate of 128Kb, at least. Anything much less than that, and you will lose quality. WAV is the best, because you can then easily change the file type to FLAC or MP3, and you still get the best sound. DO NOT take an MP3 file and save it as WAV or FLAC. The latter two formats are lossless so you don’t lose quality, but the MP3 format degrades the quality (especially if you are saving sound that doesn’t have good quality in the first place). WAV files are very large, but common; but they will fill a one or two TB drive up quickly. FLAC are also high quality, but many players can’t play them; but they can easily be converted to WAV without loss.  I personally think the MP3 files at 128 Kb are indistinguishable from WAVs for most people to simply listen to, and the MP3 files play on nearly all devices. In my opinion, collect files you want to keep the best sound as WAVs (or if disk space is at a premium, use FLACs), and then convert what you want to listen to on other devices to MP3. Save the same file as WAV, FLAC, and MP3 (both at 128Kb and 32Kb) to see the different file sizes. Then play them and see if you can hear the difference. I use the free VLC player, which handles nearly all formats of sound or video files. These are just my opinions, and others will tell you differently. It took me a while to realize this after using reel to reels for so long. There’s a bunch more to this subject, but I hope this will get you started. I hope this helps.

John Nicholson 

On Oct 31, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Larry   

Cc:

--
Larry Maupin