Digitizing CDs

Larry Maupin

Happy Halloween everybody!

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive?  If you know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can it be purchased?

Thank you.

Brian Kavanaugh

Pretty much any CD ripper will do it. I personally use https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/.

Larry Maupin

Thank you Brian.  I clicked on your link, but did not see a way to transfer audio files to a flash drive as they are being digitized.  I think a piece of hardware must be necessary to accomplish that, something a flash drive will plug in to like the NAXA Portable Recorder & Cassette Player I use to digitize cassettes.

I am grateful for your reply.

A flash drive is just a drive. You specify that as the location for the files you are ripping.

On 2021-10-31 10:34 AM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Happy Halloween everybody!

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive?  If you know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can it be purchased?

Thank you.

Thanks again Brian.  My technical knowledge is not nearly as advanced as yours, I know.  To get anything done I need everything right in front of me with a simple procedure to follow so I won't become confused.  For example, when digitizing a cassette: (1) place cassette in converter; (2) insert flash drive into converter; (3) press play tab and hold down button next to it until you hear sound and flash drive begins to flash; (4) when conversion is complete, place flash drive in USB port in computer, and miraculously the converted episodes show up in your Files section!  Even I can do that, and it actually works most of the time.

Best regards,

On 2021-10-31 10:34 AM, Larry Maupin wrote:

Happy Halloween everybody!

Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive?  If you know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can it be purchased?

Thank you.

-

The cd audio files are already in digital format. Any cd/dvd drive your computer has or recognize will do. Then a simple copy command will
place the files where you choose.

On Sun, 31 Oct
2021, Larry Maupin wrote:

Happy Halloween everybody!
Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio
shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive? If you
know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can
it be purchased?
Thank you.

ent-
XR

Larry Maupin

Thank you very much Dan.  I will try that and see what happens.

--
ent-
XR

There are probably many commercial programs out there that will allow you to pull digital copies from the CDs and transfer them to a different format such as MP3s. If you need a specific name of a program you can probably get some recommendations here.

Rick

2021, Larry Maupin wrote:

Happy Halloween everybody!
Does anyone know what piece of equipment will digitize old-time radio
shows that are on a CD and transfer them to a flash drive? If you
know, what do you consider to be a good make and model, and where can
it be purchased?
Thank you.

ent-
XR

John Nicholson

Larry, if you are using Windows, the CD ripper will save the mp3 files to either your hard drive (if you want to save a copy) or directly to the flash drive. Just set the save destination to wherever you want. If you save them to your hard drive, just use file manager to copy the files to your flash drive. Most CD rippers will save as WAV, FLAC, or MP3. If you are going to share them as MP3s, you should set them to a sample rate of 128Kb, at least. Anything much less than that, and you will lose quality. WAV is the best, because you can then easily change the file type to FLAC or MP3, and you still get the best sound. DO NOT take an MP3 file and save it as WAV or FLAC. The latter two formats are lossless so you don’t lose quality, but the MP3 format degrades the quality (especially if you are saving sound that doesn’t have good quality in the first place). WAV files are very large, but common; but they will fill a one or two TB drive up quickly. FLAC are also high quality, but many players can’t play them; but they can easily be converted to WAV without loss.  I personally think the MP3 files at 128 Kb are indistinguishable from WAVs for most people to simply listen to, and the MP3 files play on nearly all devices. In my opinion, collect files you want to keep the best sound as WAVs (or if disk space is at a premium, use FLACs), and then convert what you want to listen to on other devices to MP3. Save the same file as WAV, FLAC, and MP3 (both at 128Kb and 32Kb) to see the different file sizes. Then play them and see if you can hear the difference. I use the free VLC player, which handles nearly all formats of sound or video files. These are just my opinions, and others will tell you differently. It took me a while to realize this after using reel to reels for so long. There’s a bunch more to this subject, but I hope this will get you started. I hope this helps.

John Nicholson