Topics

Episode Summary of "The Record Collectors"

Larry Maupin

Broadcast Date: September 29, 1952. CBS

Episode Title: "Audition Show With Larry Thor"

Summary: The program features record collectors Dr. Vincent Arbogast and Mr. Titus McPhatridge, who are introduced by host Larry Thor as follows: "And now here are two who know everything about music recorded prior to 1925."  Three numbers are played during the roughly 17-minute episode.  The first, from 1922, is Irving Berlin's "I'll See You in C-U-B-A."  Next is "The Village Vamp" by then popular singer Nora Bayes which was recorded in 1919.  Then a lively rendition of "Toot-Toot-Tootsie Goodbye" from 1923 performed by Billy Murray and Eddie Smalley,

Mention is also made of a 1914 record on the Dulcet Label entitled "Out of a City of Ten Thousand People, Why Did You Pick On Me?"  I can find nothing to authenticate that such a song ever existed, but it would be interesting if anyone else could.

Notes: (1) Mr. McPhatridge once resided at the YMCA in Muncie, Indiana and claims that his record collection would cover two-thirds of the basketball court there; (2) the program has a "Letter Box" segment at the end; (3) a "good night" wish is sent out to Mrs. Kerry Mumar of the Needles Public Library; (4) the program was "transcribed from Hollywood on CBS."