First Video Meet-Up

Ryan Ellett

I'm picking this Friday, May 21st, for our inaugural OTRR video meet-up. I'll open the room on Google Meet at 8:00 Central time which should keep the East Coast folks from going to bed too late but give West Coast folks a chance to grab a bite to eat.

Here is the Google Meet link:
https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

Google Meet works pretty much like WebEx and Zoom, if you've used any of these programs. You should be able to just click on the link and everything will open up.

The main function you need to know how to use is the microphone! It's important that you understand how to mute and unmute yourself. I do ask that as you enter the room please have yourself muted to start. We want to minimize background noise, echo, and feedback when people are talking.

This is not a meeting with an agenda, just a time to sit back and geek out with fellow OTR fans. See you then!
Ryan

Walden Hughes

Hi Ryan,

There should be a phone number with it.  Can you provide it?  Martin Grams has a presentation that night on the show at 7 PM central time,

Walden

[...]

I'm not seeing a phone number anywhere, Walden, but let me ask some others. I'm not super familiar with Meet.

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021, 11:16:20 PM CDT, Walden Hughes <waldenhughes@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Gassman

Not all platforms have phone numbers.  Just because zoom has a number does not mean that Google necessarily has to.

Larry

[...]

StewGold

2am for us big hairy scotsmen, I may miss the first one. Fight over a favourite Our Miss Brooks for me. All the best, Leslie Schramm

On Wednesday, 19 May 2021, 15:55:15 BST, Larry Gassman <larrygassman1@...> wrote:

[...]

Wild West Designs

If you look under Requirements -> Compatible Web Browser (or something along those lines), there is mention of a Phone Number and PIN that may be supplied by the organizer.

Now, it's listed as an option if the user's browser isn't compatible.  It used to be in the calendar info, a link for that.  I'm not seeing it there or any other easily discoverable location (although it is possible that I missed it), which makes me believe that maybe all the current major browsers (since most are Chromium based as it is) support it now, they may have dropped that fallback.  I'm just speculating on that, but I am not seeing it in an easily discoverable way.

---

Evan West

New version of otrDB for Linux and Windows as of April 2nd 2021

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

Brian Kavanaugh

When you create a meeting - or at least, with my playing around with it right now - it shows a phone number and PIN. I don't know if there's a way to get those after the fact, though.

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

Ryan,

If you created it in your calendar, you should be able to open the event and click on the "Join with Google Meet". That will show the phone number and PIN.

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

Based on further searching, it looks like the number and pin are there for GSuite subscribers, those that pay for that.

I used to see it like how Brian mentioned, for those that are still seeing it are y'all subscribers to GSuite?  I am not and I no longer have that Phone/PIN option.  Doesn't matter if I start up a meeting for right then there, start up thru Calendar or to go Google Meet and set it up for in the future there.

---

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

I think what people are getting confused here is conference calls from days past. This is not one where people call in and use a landline and add people in rather it’s a link to a digital connection that is like a meeting room repeople can also get together. It is a website not a phone number. The process is fairly simple to connect you only need a link, I’m meeting ID and a password. The only drawback is if your connection from your end is of a lesser quality. That might make your speaking and video a little choppy.

Rick

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

That is correct (though I was grandfathered in and am not paying for G-Suite/Google Workspaces). I compared it to my gmail account, and there is no phone number/PIN option - and there is a limit of 100 people for the call. I'd offer mine, but I will be driving at the time and not able to be on the call. I imagine I would have to start it.

I think we'd have to use Zoom to have a phone number - but the free version has a 40-minute limit, and probably other limitations, too.

On 2021-05-19 09:55 AM, Larry Gassman wrote:

[...]

I don't think there will be a perfect method to do these meet-ups. I've already sent a Google Meet link so let's use that for this first meeting. Maybe we'll try Zoom a different time, though it does have the time limit like Brian mentioned. I use WebEx for work and it does not have time limits and does have phone-in options but I don't know how familiar it is for others. If there's sufficient interest we'll try some different options and see what works best for us. This is just for fun, no pressure.
If you can make it Friday at 9, I'll see you then. You do not need to RSVP, just show up at the right time through the previously posted link.

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 02:03:14 PM CDT, Brian Kavanaugh via groups.io <brian@...> wrote:

That is correct (though I was grandfathered in and am not paying for G-Suite/Google Workspaces). I compared it to my gmail account, and there is no phone number/PIN option - and there is a limit of 100 people for the call. I'd offer mine, but I will be driving at the time and not able to be on the call. I imagine I would have to start it.

I think we'd have to use Zoom to have a phone number - but the free version has a 40-minute limit, and probably other limitations, too.

Walden Hughes

I know there is a phone number with Google meet because other groups use the phone system besides videos.  Take care,

Walden

[...]

Jim Jones

Ryan
Sorry I will miss the first video call, but some of us old people still go out on the weekends.

jj

Scott Galley

I'll try to join in. It'll depend upon the evening, but if not tomorrow, then next time for certain.

Best;
Scott

Ryan Ellett

Just a reminder that our first trial video meet-up will be this evening at 8:00 central time (after Martin's Shadow presentation).

Here is the Google Meet link:
https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

Absolutely no worries if you can't make it; hopefully there will be enough interest than we can have more on an ongoing basis. For those of you who used to participate in the old IRC chat rooms in the 2000s we'd sometimes to audio gatherings. It was just a more personal way to get to know each other than email. I've known some people on this group for nearly 20 years but have no connection to them beyond emails and a screen handle. Maybe I'm also feeling nostalgic for the old Cincinnati conventions that would normally be held around this general time.

Ryan

Wild West Designs

I miss those old days of IRC.  We also used to do the Yahoo Messenger thing as well, even audio.  Although I do miss IRC the most with regard to this hobby.  I still use IRC for open source projects that I am involved in as that is still a popular form of communication there.

---

On 2021-05-21 08:16 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io wrote:

Just a reminder that our first trial video meet-up will be this evening at 8:00 central time (after Martin's Shadow presentation).

Here is the Google Meet link:
https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

Absolutely no worries if you can't make it; hopefully there will be enough interest than we can have more on an ongoing basis. For those of you who used to participate in the old IRC chat rooms in the 2000s we'd sometimes to audio gatherings. It was just a more personal way to get to know each other than email. I've known some people on this group for nearly 20 years but have no connection to them beyond emails and a screen handle. Maybe I'm also feeling nostalgic for the old Cincinnati conventions that would normally be held around this general time.

Ryan

John Nicholson

Thanks for getting this together. I’m in the hospital until tomorrow afternoon with a knee replacement. I really want to attend both meetings, so thanks for making OTRR and Martin’s meetings at different times. If I can’t make it tonight, I’ll definitely try to make the next one. Looking forward to it.

John