For Preservation's Sake

Wild West Designs

Now, while this doesn't affect OTR directly, I would venture to say that quite a few of us have also ventured into Classic TV/Movies as well and this could affect that (I for one like the old classic animations having been raised during the 2nd Disney Animation Renaissance and having done animated shorts and sprites for 2D games, I do have a soft spot for those older animations).  Apparently this is becoming a thing now.  I can easily see this being used for other "edits" as well, but I digress.  I can imagine Rosebud being a password for an iPad.

I've always been one of those that didn't really care for ads during listening as for some it took me out of the story, but there have been some ads that actually did help, but for the most part, I wasn't an ad person for just binges of listening, now for preservation that was something else entirely.  If they do this to the often watched classic movies, this would definitely ruin being sucked into the story (and if that's if they just stop with rotating ads).

Like I said, I don't think this will be an issue as much for OTR for a few reasons, but I can easily see that preservation of the classic tv/movie shows to maintain the original feel that those creators wanted (and yes, they did have some product placement back then, but it's something else to insert placement for products that did exist for decades later).  As much as I like tech, it's sad to see things like this going on.  No respect for the past at all.

--

Evan West

Link to download database program:

otrDB

Richard Davenport

I am an avid collector of old TV shows and cartoons from many years. I would love to be able to exchange and share with anybody else who appreciates them for the nostalgic sake.

Please feel free to contact me.  If anyone here is familiar with AirDC I am a long time sharer there too.  All of my files are available as well.  I can offer an invite to any interested parties to join.

Rick

On Apr 22, 2021, at 8:19 AM, Wild West Designs <evan@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Hingson

Rick,

Would love to chat. I don’t know if I have anything you do not have, but we can compare notes. I don’t have a huge collection of thousands of different shows, but I do have quite a few. Feel free to email me at mike@... Now I’m off to finish a TV episode of Space Patrol.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

Damon Fries

I would be interested - I’m a big fan of early TV, even if it was responsible for killing off my beloved OTR !

On 22 Apr 2021, at 19:08, Michael Hingson <mike@...> wrote:

[...]

Walden Hughes

I will put you in touch with Johnny Holmes.  He is a major classic TV show collector,

Walden

[...]

Me too, me too please!

[...]

I hear you. TV is still a part of history after all.

[...]

Gordon Johansen

It's amazing how many of those old shows are on Youtube or even Amazon Prime. I just noticed My Favorite Martian on Prime for example and have been watching a few of the episodes for fun. It was one of the shows I loved as a kid but never really got to see it that much.

Gord

April 22, 2021 11:01 AM
I am an avid collector of old TV shows and cartoons from many years. I would love to be able to exchange and share with anybody else who appreciates them for the nostalgic sake.

Please feel free to contact me.  If anyone here is familiar with AirDC I am a long time sharer there too.  All of my files are available as well.  I can offer an invite to any interested parties to join.

Rick

Rob Lockhorst

The same goes for me.  Love OTR, but also the good OTTV.

Count me in, I’d say.

Regards,

Rob

[...]

By that reminds me of DC++ and if I recall there was one other program as well.

I didn't think that was used as much anymore.

Ahhh, the good ole days.

---

Evan West

otrDB and otrDBPlayer programs using Qt framework

[...]

Philip Atchley

Hi All,

This thread caught my interest.  I use DC++ and am a member of 4 different hubs, which I'm usually on 24/7.  My present "share size" is rather small, a wee bit more than 31TB.  Thousands of OTR, OTV, OTM shows, and of course music, especially Music compilations.  Do miss the OTRR hub, but I think that went dark when Jim passed. . .

Some of the share is also ham radio related, but only a small part of it.

<>< 73 From "The Beaconeer's Lair" <><
Specializing in DXing NDBs (Longwave Beacons)
Phil, KO6BB, http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/
KO6BB/B beacon, ~23W on 28.290 MHz, Ringo Vertical

HF/LF RADIOS:
YAESU: FTDX-101MP Xceiver, Dual SDR Receivers (~2020)
YAESU: FTDX-3000 Xceiver, DSP IF, 300Hz Roofing filter (~2019).
Beacon: Realistic HTX-100 on 28.290MHz (CW Beacon)
Uniden: SDS-200 Scanner, 25-1300MHz (2020)
Eton: Elite 750 (2), AKA Grundig Satelite 750 (2020)
HOMEBREW: 7 Tube+Rect 1v3 Regen RX for LF (built 2015)
SDRS: Perseus 10KHz-40MHz (2020)
Softrock Ensemble II LF Receiver (kit, 2017)
Softrock Ensemble II HF Receiver (Kit, 2019)
ACC: MFJ-993B Auto Antenna Matcher.
HOMEBREW LF-MF Pre-Amp, 8Hz Audio Filter.
HOMEBREW 4 Port Antenna Multicoupler, Feeds 4 RX's.

ANTENNAS: 88 foot Long Ladder-line fed dipole, ~35 feet AGL for MW/HF.
Top Loaded Tee (Dipole fed as single element) ~35 Feet AGL.
Comet CHA-250B HF Vertical at ~24 Feet AGL For HF.
Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo Vertical, ~20 feet AGL for 10M.
Ratzlaff Active whip, 5 Foot Long, ~16 Feet AGL For LF/MW/HF.
Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop For LF/MW/HF at ~17 Feet AGL
Diamond Discone ~35 feet AGL for Scanner.
Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh

On 4/22/2021 5:08 PM, Michael Hingson wrote:

Rick,

Would love to chat. I don’t know if I have anything you do not have, but we can compare notes. I don’t have a huge collection of thousands of different shows, but I do have quite a few. Feel free to email me at mike@michaelhingson.com <mailto:mike@michaelhingson.com> Now I’m off to finish a TV episode of Space Patrol.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

I am an avid collector of old TV shows and cartoons from many years. I would love to be able to exchange and share with anybody else who appreciates them for the nostalgic sake.

Please feel free to contact me.  If anyone here is familiar with AirDC I am a long time sharer there too.  All of my files are available as well.  I can offer an invite to any interested parties to join.

Rick

Philip Atchley

Oh, forgot to mention, also old comics, pld movie serials and of course the ever popular cartoons.

On 4/22/2021 10:07 PM, Philip Atchley via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Corey Harker

Hi Rick,

I collect old TV shows and movies as well. I would love an invite to AirDC. I am in the process of cleaning many Amos ‘n’ Andy TV shows as I write this.

Best,

Corey Harker

corey.harker@...

507-272-4322

[...]

Old comics are a good one to have.

While the new comic industry is collapsing due to certain current day things that are going on, about the only businesses that are still doing well that are comic related are the older stuff, not just silver and bronze age ( have one Lone Ranger movie tie in from the Bronze Age), but all the way up to about the mid 90s.

Serials I started getting back into.  Really liking Trader Tom of the China Seas.

---

On 2021-04-22 05:10 PM, Philip Atchley wrote:

[...]

Would love to chat. I don’t know if I have anything you do not have, but we can compare notes. I don’t have a huge collection of thousands of different shows, but I do have quite a few. Feel free to email me at mike@... <mailto:mike@...> Now I’m off to finish a TV episode of Space Patrol.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

I am an avid collector of old TV shows and cartoons from many years. I would love to be able to exchange and share with anybody else who appreciates them for the nostalgic sake.

Please feel free to contact me.  If anyone here is familiar with AirDC I am a long time sharer there too.  All of my files are available as well.  I can offer an invite to any interested parties to join.

Rick

Michael Hingson

How about Commando Cody, Skymarshal of the Universe?

I am an avid collector of old TV shows and cartoons from many years. I would love to be able to exchange and share with anybody else who appreciates them for the nostalgic sake.

Please feel free to contact me.  If anyone here is familiar with AirDC I am a long time sharer there too.  All of my files are available as well.  I can offer an invite to any interested parties to join.

Rick

Michael Hingson

Not being familiar with Airdc, what is it please?

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

[...]

jackies@tularosa.net

Michael:

I would be interested in the Old TV show also.

Thanks

Jackie

Richard Davenport

Air is the new version of Dc. 68tb up on shares.

Rick