From: "Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io"
To: "Main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Sent: Friday April 3 2020 11:42:41AM
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

Scott Galley

Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

image1.jpeg

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io <eadjones@...> wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

Great collection, Scott! Hardbacks, too!!! :)  Thanks for sharing!!!

vBest!
Ted

On Friday, April 3, 2020, 11:52:15 AM EDT, Scott Galley via groups.io <scottgalley@...> wrote:

Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

image1.jpeg

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io <eadjones@...> wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

Litsey, Alan

Fred Allen is one of my favorites, too. I highly recommend “Treadmill to Oblivion” and “Fred Allen’s Letters,” favorites of mine since my teens. I’m now 62. I’ve been listening to “This is Your FBI” lately, but love them all. I’d love to hear what others are listening to these days.

Best, alan

From: <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of "Scott Galley via groups.io" <scottgalley@...>
Date: Friday, April 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM
To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io" <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

image1.jpeg

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io <eadjones@...> wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!

Ted

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

Thanks Larry!  Looking forward to participating a bit more - i have a day job on computer so sometimes it's hard to focus the old eyes!! :)

vBest!
Ted

On Friday, April 3, 2020, 11:52:09 AM EDT, Larry Maupin <lmaupin@...> wrote:

Thank you Ted!  That was quick, and it's great to hear from you.  I hope you will post a lot more, and it's nice that you are willing to share your Fred Allen collection with any of his many fans who may be looking for a particular episode.

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

Hello Alan.  I have been listening to "Lora Lawton", and just today I posted the first summary of the twenty-eight extant episodes to this group.  It's great to hear from you.

From: <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of "Scott Galley via groups.io" <scottgalley@...>
Date: Friday, April 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM
To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io" <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

image1.jpeg

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io <eadjones@...> wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!

Ted

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

This is your FBI is such a fun show! - goes well with some good 50s film noir too!!  Thanks!

vBest!
Ted

From: <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> on behalf of "Scott Galley via groups.io" <scottgalley@...>
Date: Friday, April 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM
To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io" <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io>

Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

image1.jpeg

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones via groups.io <eadjones@...> wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!

Ted

Larry Maupin

Ted, I hope you post every time you feel like it, and I'm so glad you have begun  Maybe the reason there have been messages here from so few members until today is that people really didn't know how to send them to the group.

Best regards,

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

barry nadler

Re Fred Allen Books:

I read
Treadmill to Oblivion and
All About Me
Using Kindle.

I recommend both. His collaborator said Fred was more interested in All About Me, which covers his early years, mostly in vaudeville.

--
Marc Olayne

Ryan Ellett

Fred Allen is one I've never been able to get into, though he still has a lot of fans out there! We need some dedicated Allen listeners to take on putting together an OTRR set of his programs.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones wrote:
Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

Ryan Ellett

A must for any OTR library for sure, and generally easy and inexpensive to find on eBay!
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM, Scott Galley wrote:
Fred Allen really was a jewel. Recommend all of these books on him or by him from my bookshelf:

barry nadler

Fred Allen was a topical comedian. He was a predecessor of Jon Stewart. It helps to know about the people and times when he did the programs. The programs were over 60 years ago, so history is needed.

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 8:21 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Fred Allen is one I've never been able to get into, though he still has a lot of fans out there! We need some dedicated Allen listeners to take on putting together an OTRR set of his programs.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones wrote:
Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

--
Marc Olayne

Edward A. (Ted) Jones

I'd be up for that project.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 2:41 AM, marc19olayne39 via groups.io
<marc19olayne39@...> wrote:
Fred Allen was a topical comedian. He was a predecessor of Jon Stewart. It helps to know about the people and times when he did the programs. The programs were over 60 years ago, so history is needed.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 8:21 AM, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Fred Allen is one I've never been able to get into, though he still has a lot of fans out there! We need some dedicated Allen listeners to take on putting together an OTRR set of his programs.
Ryan

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:42 AM, Edward A. (Ted) Jones wrote:
Hello all!

Thanks Larry for the kindly prompt and how-to - I am in Baltimore, 56 yr old man, interests of late are Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Hall of Fantasy, X Minus One - pleased to meet you all!  I've amassed a rather large Fred Allen collection, if anyone is looking for anything, just ask! :)

vBest!
Ted

--
Marc Olayne

C. Nava

Belated response -

Hi everyone,

Claire from Southern California here. I am 64. I have been listening to OTR for about 15 years when I started working forty-five minutes from home (each way, on a good day). I love classic radio mysteries - so I started with Sam Spade and the classic Dragnet from the OTRR library.

Then I went to the podcasts - "Down These Mean Streets" and "Relic Radio" were my top picks and the guy from Boise, Idaho. Such good introductions! They introduced me to different detectives and also to different genres... I was seriously hooked.

Now, I load up my MP3 player with songs, podcasts, and a whole bunch of OTR and listen when I'm driving, doing chores, and settling down to sleep. Whenever I have at least 25 minutes to spare.

And by the way, many thanks to the SPERDVAC people for sharing their lectures. It's fascinating stuff. :)

Claire