From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io [mailto:main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ryan Ellett via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 6:11 PM
To: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Frontier Town Release Party

Our first release party (and I use that term very loosely!) will be this Thursday, May 27, at 8:00 central time. We will use the same Google link as before:

https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

I'll do a short (10-15 min.) overview of the series and the contents of the Maintained set and then we'll listen to an episode. This is an updated set, not a brand new one. I'll then have a link to the set so you can download it from me. Brian will post a DropBox link later just as he usually does. We'll just have fun and give it a whirl...

No heckling the presenter, Walden!

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Walden Hughes wrote:

Great idea

Our first release party (and I use that term very loosely!) will be this Thursday, May 27, at 8:00 central time. We will use the same Google link as before:

https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

I'll do a short (10-15 min.) overview of the series and the contents of the Maintained set and then we'll listen to an episode. This is an updated set, not a brand new one. I'll then have a link to the set so you can download it from me. Brian will post a DropBox link later just as he usually does. We'll just have fun and give it a whirl...

Ryan

Walden Hughes

Very good,

Walden

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Walden Hughes wrote:

Great idea

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM, Walden Hughes wrote:

Great idea

Our first release party (and I use that term very loosely!) will be this Thursday, May 27, at 8:00 central time. We will use the same Google link as before:

https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

I'll do a short (10-15 min.) overview of the series and the contents of the Maintained set and then we'll listen to an episode. This is an updated set, not a brand new one. I'll then have a link to the set so you can download it from me. Brian will post a DropBox link later just as he usually does. We'll just have fun and give it a whirl...

Ryan

Bob Stepno

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't think my attempt at a reply using my smartphone was successful. I'll try to get to the online party if I can, but might not be able to make it. I'm curious whether anyone knows where the episode names came from, transcription labels, scripts, or collectors? In particular, I'm interested in the story that Goldin  calls "On the Road to Dobe City," but the otrr internet archive coffee calls 'Five-Gun Final," a play on both Western Six Guns and one of my favorite newspaper movies "five star final," which is almost a prequel to The Edward G Robinson radio series "Big Town." I wrote about that episode and those coincidences last year... But don't see any evidence in my notes that I really dug into the naming of the episode.

https://jheroes.com/2020/08/25/a-cowtown-newspaper-war/

Bob Stepno

Copy, not coffee... Dang voice-to-text spelling "correction"

Ryan Ellett

Bob, it looks like our titles came from Jerry H's site. I'm guessing these are fan-made but I'm pretty sure at least a couple I listened to mentioned a title when it returned from the mid-point commercial break. However, I have not listened to every single one. It's interesting that our numbering does not quite match Goldin, either, but Randy Riddle did the recordings from ETs and I trust his numbering. I used Radio Rides the Range for a reference as I worked on Thursday's slide show and it doesn't mention the scripts being available anywhere, but the book was published several years ago. Since it was a syndicated show the numbering is not terribly important. If a show does not have an identified title in the episode or from a script, often we'll use Jerry's just to minimize confusion once the shows are out in the wild.

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 10:42:04 AM CDT, Bob Stepno <rstepno@...> wrote:

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't think my attempt at a reply using my smartphone was successful. I'll try to get to the online party if I can, but might not be able to make it. I'm curious whether anyone knows where the episode names came from, transcription labels, scripts, or collectors? In particular, I'm interested in the story that Goldin  calls "On the Road to Dobe City," but the otrr internet archive coffee calls 'Five-Gun Final," a play on both Western Six Guns and one of my favorite newspaper movies "five star final," which is almost a prequel to The Edward G Robinson radio series "Big Town." I wrote about that episode and those coincidences last year... But don't see any evidence in my notes that I really dug into the naming of the episode.

https://jheroes.com/2020/08/25/a-cowtown-newspaper-war/

Ryan Ellett

Just a reminder:
Frontier Town Release Party
Thursday, May 27, at 8:00 central time.
We will use the same Google link as before:

https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

I'll do a short (10-15 min.) overview of the series and the contents of the Maintained set and then we'll listen to an episode. This will not be a Martin Grams-level researched presentation! Let's have some fun.

In anticipation of the meet and greet later tonight.  I collected some info on the show to use as a reference.  I did locate a full set on Archive.org which is coming in now.  I don't know the bit rate on this set but I am going to presume that the newly released version is going to be some better quality files.  I was not mentioned as attending the first meetup so I hope folks could see and hear me ok.

Here attached is my small Excel file with the info I have on the show.

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 8:16:58 PM CDT, Ryan Ellett via groups.io <oldradiotimes@...> wrote:

Just a reminder:
Frontier Town Release Party
Thursday, May 27, at 8:00 central time.
We will use the same Google link as before:

https://meet.google.com/rpq-qvaf-tpu

I'll do a short (10-15 min.) overview of the series and the contents of the Maintained set and then we'll listen to an episode. This will not be a Martin Grams-level researched presentation! Let's have some fun.

Richard, I did not see you on Friday. Did you arrive after I left? Or were using a handle I didn't recognize?

On Thursday, May 27, 2021, 01:21:16 AM CDT, Richard Davenport <klingon1@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ryan (and Randy!) ... If the recordings came from ETs, maybe the names of the episode were on the disc labels?

No title given at the organ-interlude break in that episode, just the series title.

I see that it is "Five Gun Final" in Jerry H's log, while "The Ride To Dobe City" in Goldin, but both say episode 19 (on different dates)...

So maybe Jerry and David had different disc copies with different names on the labels?

Goldin: Frontier Town. July 09, 1949. Program #19. Broadcasters Program Syndicate/Bruce Eells and Associates syndication. "The Ride To Dobe City".

Haendiges: 94679A "FIVE GUN FINAL" 19 01-30-53

Regards,

Bob

Scott Galley

Is no one going to let me join the Meet?

Scott Galley

Well, that didn't work out so well. Hopefully someone recorded it. I'd have loved to have been in. but i suppose the gmail account I used was the wrong one, or something.

Trust everyone has a good release party!

Michael Moore

I can’t get in either.