Topics

Fw: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] Old Time Radio Researchers - Digest #323

Chris J Brady

You could do well to contact the LOC guys at

"Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List" <ARSCLIST@...>,

They have professional audio / tape restorers there. Very friendly and helpful crowd.

Chris B.

On Sunday, 15 November 2020, 14:10:24 GMT, main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <digestnoreply@groups.io> wrote:

This is a digest for Old Time Radio Researchers. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.
Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.
TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:
1. Re: OTRR Curated Collections (6)
2. Re: Need Volunteers with reel to reel decks for a potential large reel purchase (2)
1a. 
Re: OTRR Curated Collections
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 07:37:09 PST
I have the decks and means to transfer

My one concern is the era mentioned (1980s-1990's) per the tape stock. As we know Towards the end of the 70s, thru the 80s and into the 90s, alot of the tape stock suffered from Stick Shed Syndrome. This would require baking each tape which in a lot this size will require extra time to dub.
 Is there a way to find out what brand and tape stock number these tapes are (ie: Ampex 607) to get a better idea what we have to work with?

--
Happy Radio Trails!
Dan
View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1b. 
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 08:18:47 PST
Thank you Ryan.  When Paul posted a message inviting members to try their hand at curating a collection I was immediately interested.  Working on the first one was a learning experience, and I had to delete several episodes that I had already digitized due to poor sound quality or because I decided that the content was not very interesting.  But after I finished my part I sent everything to Paul, who completed the process and now the collection is in the library, all dressed up with an attractive design and format and ready for listeners.

I did notice that the episodes must be listened to in sequence, or at least that was my experience when I clicked on Paul's link this morning and took a test drive.  Perhaps we should add a message so that browsers will not be discouraged if, for example, they try to listen to a Crime Classics episode first and find that they cannot.  Or maybe Paul can adjust the settings so that any program can be heard by just clicking on it.

I encourage other members to curate a collection of their own.  It does not have to be a large one, just something with a common theme involving episodes that you love and would like to share with the world.  They may already have been digitized and may already be in the OTRR Library collection.  What matters is the arrangement of shows into a unique grouping that will differentiate the collection from others and appeal to the imagination of potential listeners.

I am already working on another such project.  If anyone wants to curate a collection and would like to benefit from my experience in doing the first one, just send me a message and I promise to reply promptly.

Thanks again Ryan for all the support and encouragement you give to everyone in the group.

Larry

-----------------------------------------

To: "main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io"
Cc:
Sent: Saturday November 14 2020 8:54:38AM
Subject: Re: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] OTRR Curated Collections

Congratulations, Larry! I know you've been working very hard on this new curated set idea for most of the year.
Ryan

www.RyanEllett.com

The Old Time Radio Researchers
"Saving the Past for the Future"

www.OTRR.org
www.OTRRLibrary.org

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1c. 
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 08:53:49 PST
Dan

I’ll try calling Tom at Radioarchives and ask about tape stock.

David

1d. 
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 13:57:22 PST
I could not find a way to download the set. Has anyone else had this
problem?

Thanks for the help.

Jackie Schlageter

Larry Maupin has researched a set of episodes called "Dramatizations of

1e. 
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 19:38:57 PST
I'm not sure if you can download it but clicking the title will play it.

Gord

jackies@... via groups.io wrote on 11/14/20 2:57 PM:

1f. 
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 19:42:06 PST
Since I know Larry would want this to be perfect, I'll just mention that the first show has a spelling mistake that shows up above the player that pops up when you click the title.

Unwritten Law
The Case of the Ladies Diretory

Thanks a lot for this Larry. It looks great.

Gord

Paul Kornman via groups.io wrote on 11/14/20 3:41 AM:
2a. 
Re: Need Volunteers with reel to reel decks for a potential large reel purchase
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 18:56:30 PST
I will donate money via PayPal to help this effort. Please send me an email address for this. 

I wish you the best with this. I don’t have any hardware to help with. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

2b. 
Re: Need Volunteers with reel to reel decks for a potential large reel purchase
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 23:34:20 PST
Perhaps we could start a go fund me page.

Rick

© 2020 Groups.io
You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io via chrisjbrady@.... You can unsubscribe here.