From: main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io <main@OldTimeRadioResearchers.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Maupin
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 10:35 AM
To: 'main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io' <main@oldtimeradioresearchers.groups.io>
Subject: [OldTimeRadioResearchers] General Radio Network

Good morning and happy Friday to everybody!

I have been spot checking an OTR series for sound quality, and at the beginning of several episodes the announcer has distinctly said "This is General Radio."  This does not appear to be an instance of syndication in which something generic will be said that leads to dead air or a musical interlude that gives local stations time to insert their commercials.  But when I type "General Radio Network" into my browser, nothing intelligible comes up?

Can any of the many OTR scholars and collectors in this group provide some information on this?

Thank you very much,

Thank you very much Scott, and that may be possible. But the announcer seems to say General Radio the same way you would say CBS radio or NBC radio.  The series is Front Page Drama, many episodes of which are in the OTRR Library.  If you or anyone else in the group would like to listen to the first two or three minutes of a couple of episodes you should hear the announcement, and that could lead to a conclusive answer to the question of whether a General Radio Network ever existed even for a brief time.  Does the fact that the announcer says it existed confirm that it did?  Could it have been a regional network?

Best regards,

Good morning and happy Friday to everybody!

I have been spot checking an OTR series for sound quality, and at the beginning of several episodes the announcer has distinctly said "This is General Radio."  This does not appear to be an instance of syndication in which something generic will be said that leads to dead air or a musical interlude that gives local stations time to insert their commercials.  But when I type "General Radio Network" into my browser, nothing intelligible comes up?

Can any of the many OTR scholars and collectors in this group provide some information on this?

Thank you very much,

What comes to mind initially is perhaps it has something to do with General Mills as a sponsor. I too tried multiple variations on the search theme General Radio and found nothing. What show was playing when you heard this intro?

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 01:01:49 PM CDT, Scott Mahan <scott@...> wrote:

You think maybe that is RKO General?

Good morning and happy Friday to everybody!

I have been spot checking an OTR series for sound quality, and at the beginning of several episodes the announcer has distinctly said "This is General Radio."  This does not appear to be an instance of syndication in which something generic will be said that leads to dead air or a musical interlude that gives local stations time to insert their commercials.  But when I type "General Radio Network" into my browser, nothing intelligible comes up?

Can any of the many OTR scholars and collectors in this group provide some information on this?

Thank you very much,

B. J. Watkins

Larry, here is what Dave Goldin writes about the show: Front Page Drama. January 04, 1934. Program #37. Hearst syndication. "The Death Dress". The American Weekly. The first program of the series to be called, "Front Page Drama." The program was referred to as, "The American Weekly Program" for the first thirty-six programs, but was essentially the same show. Staged in the New York Studios of The General Broadcasting Company.

So there was a General Broadcasting Company.

Barbara

[...]

Thank you very much Rick.  If neither you nor Scott could find anything, the challenge may be a big one for everyone else.  The program is Front Page Drama, and if any of the many members of this group would like to have a little fun, just visit the OTRR Library and listen to the beginning of a few episodes to find out how the reference to "General radio" sounds to your ear.  Then you can post your opinion here.

[...]

Thank you so much Barbara.  That is a great piece of research, and you came up with the correct information so quickly!  I'm very grateful to you, Scott and Rick as well as everyone else who may have been trying to find the answer.

Best regards,

[...]

Steve Arndt

General Broadcasting System (GBS) was incorporated in late November 1933.  It was mostly comprised of stations previously with Ed Wynn's Amalgamated Broadcasting System (EWABS), which ceased operations earlier in November 1933.
The stations were: WFAB (New York), WPEN (Philadelphia), WDEL (Wilmington), WCBM (Baltimore) and WOL (Washington).
GBS was absorbed by American Broadcasting System (ABS) in June 1934.

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgamated_Broadcasting_System
"New Radio Chains May Enter Field," The Evening Star [Washington, District of Columbia], November 28, 1933.

Richard Davenport

Ed Wynn? As in the guy who was on the munsters tv show?

On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:11 PM, Steve Arndt via groups.io <treefity35063@...> wrote:

General Broadcasting System (GBS) was incorporated in late November 1933.  It was mostly comprised of stations previously with Ed Wynn's Amalgamated Broadcasting System (EWABS), which ceased operations earlier in November 1933.
The stations were: WFAB (New York), WPEN (Philadelphia), WDEL (Wilmington), WCBM (Baltimore) and WOL (Washington).
GBS was absorbed by American Broadcasting System (ABS) in June 1934.

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgamated_Broadcasting_System
"New Radio Chains May Enter Field," The Evening Star [Washington, District of Columbia], November 28, 1933.
Heinl Radio Business Letter [Washington, District of Columbia], January 15, 1934, <https://archive.org/details/heinlradiobusin1933hein_0/page/n1049/mode/2up>.

Tom G.

No, that was Fred Gwynne.

Larry Maupin

Steve, thank you for adding such a wealth of information to the discussion of this topic.

General Broadcasting System (GBS) was incorporated in late November 1933.  It was mostly comprised of stations previously with Ed Wynn's Amalgamated Broadcasting System (EWABS), which ceased operations earlier in November 1933.
The stations were: WFAB (New York), WPEN (Philadelphia), WDEL (Wilmington), WCBM (Baltimore) and WOL (Washington).
GBS was absorbed by American Broadcasting System (ABS) in June 1934.

--
"New Radio Chains May Enter Field," The Evening Star [Washington, District of Columbia], November 28, 1933.
Heinl Radio Business Letter [Washington, District of Columbia], January 15, 1934, <https://archive.org/details/heinlradiobusin1933hein_0/page/n1049/mode/2up>.

Scott Mahan

So this was Front Page Drama before Jungle Jim. When you said it was Front Page Drama, then I wondered why I’d never noticed this on Jungle Jim (FPD being on the other side of every JJ disc). But Jungle Jim (one of my favorite series) didn’t start until late 1935. Does anybody know what was on the other side of Front Page Dram discs in 33-34?